JOHN B. KATES was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1876 to Robert and Hannah Kates. His father conducted a retail grocery. At the time of the 1880 Census, the Kates family, which included older sister Margaret, lived at 800 Broadway. Neighbors included shipbuilder John Dialogue Sr. and lawyer Thomas Harned. Another grocer's son, Frank Van Hart, a year older than young John Kates, lived at 818 Broadway. Frank Van Hart went on to serve as Camden's Mayor, succeeding Charles H. Ellis in 1922. The Kates family were members of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church, John B. Kates was a member of the church Ushers' Union in the 1900s and 1910s.

John B. Kates was practicing law at the time of the 1920 Census, at which time he was living with his wife Linda, son Emory, and daughter Mary in Collingswood NJ. Besides his law practice he was serving as a member of the Board of Directors of the Broadway Trust Company bank in March of 1916, and would later be named president of that institution.

Active in politics, he had served as a member of the New Jersey State Senate in 1917. John Kates also served as a judge in the 1920s. John B. Kates was, on March 22, 1922 elected Vice Chairman of the recently created New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission. After stepping down from the bench he returned to the practice of law and also involved himself in banking. In April of 1930, when the census was taken, John, Linda, and Emory Kates lived at 430 Collings Avenue in Collingswood. By this time Emory Kates had also become a lawyer.

John B. Kates remained active in Republican politics in the 1920s and 1930s. He also served for over twenty years on the Delaware River Bridge Joint Commission, the predecessor of the modern-day Delaware Rive Port Authority, and was a member when it shepherded through construction of what today is known as the Ben Franklin Bridge.

John B. Kates ded on April 29, 1947.

Philadelphia Inquirer
February 7, 1915
Click on Image for PDF File

John B. Kates - William Laird - Howard Mathews
Engine Company 7 - Ladder Company 2
Cooper Hospital - West Jersey Hospital
George B. Wade Sr.

Philadelphia Inquirer - February 7, 1915
Click on Image for PDF File

John B. Kates - William Laird - Howard Mathews - George B. Wade Sr.

Philadelphia Inquirer - March 31, 1915
Click on Image for PDF File

John B. Kates - William Laird - Howard Mathews
George B. Wade Sr. - West Jersey Hospital

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 3, 1915

Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church  - John B. Kates

Bank Directory - March 1, 1916

Broadway Trust Company
Broadway below Walnut St. Camden, N.

. J. BURLEIGH President
ANTHONY KOBUS Vice President - WM. J. COOPER Vice President
BURLEIGH H. DRAPER Secretary and Treasurer 


John J. Burleigh        

William Mills 

Dr. S G. Bushey         

Anthony J. Oberst 

Ralph D. Childrey         

John Wesley Sell 

Robert H. Comey         

Dr. Marvin A. Street 

William J. Cooper      

Wilbert L. Sweeten

George A. Frey          

Edward B. Stone

Albert Fogg         

Adam Schlorer

Frederick Grant         

Bernhard F. Schroeder

John B. Kates         

Edward Schuster Jr. 

Dr. Grant E. Kirk        

John O. Wilson

Anthony Kobus


Philadelphia Inquirer - March 12, 1916

Clarence F. Adams - John B. Adams - John B. Kates

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 4,1917

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 4,1917

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 27, 1917

William J. Kraft - Rev. W.H. Boone - John B. Kates

Philadelphia Inquirer
November 16, 1917

John B. Kates
William Rowan
Hattie Rowan
Robert Drummond
John W. Guthridge
Arthur Murphy

Click on Image for Complete Article


Philadelphia Inquirer - December 1, 1917  






John B. Kates
Henry C. Moffett
Louis Shaw
Walnut Street
South 2nd Street

Click on Image
PDF File















John B. Kates
Henry C. Moffett
Louis Shaw
Walnut Street
South 2nd Street

Click on Image
PDF File

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 4, 1917

John B. Kates - F.G. Percival - John Grainer
South 2nd Street - Mt. Vernon Street - Louis Shaw

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 4, 1917

John B. Kates
Antonio Coray
Anna Marcella


Philadephia Inquirer - April 3, 1918

Philadelphia Inquirer - April 3, 1918

Philadephia Inquirer - April 3, 1918

John B. Kates - William J. Kraft - Charles V.D. Joline - Lewis A. Starr 
John G. Horner -
Frank T. Lloyd  
Charles A. Wolverton - Charles H. Laird
Charles G. Garrison - Charles MacCready

Philadelphia Inquirer - April 29, 1918
Towers Theater - Broadway - Pine Street - Charles H. Ellis - John B. Kates - Garfield Pancoast
Benjamin Natal - Abe Fuhrman - Samuel Mackler - Mark Obus - Morris Berman

Philadelphia Inquirer - September 11, 1918
John B. Kates
Charles G. Garrison

Herbert A. Drake
Howard M. Cooper
D. Truman Stackhouse
George G. Bergen
Enos Dellmuth
Louis Clark
Charles A. Duncan
F.L. Peach - W.J. Coxey
Herbert Corson
Elmer Deputy
Herbert C. Felton
W.B. McMullin - Joseph B. Davis
Charles D. Phillips - Ephraim Gilll
Charles Austermuhl
Samuel Mackler - Frank C. Dall
J.H. Knerr - Charls M. Curry
Isaiah Hatch
Harry M. Dease
Elmer F. Edwards
Thomas J. Wright -
Anthony J. Oberst

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 31, 1919

Arthur Stanley
Charles H. Ellis

John B. Kates
Rev. Charles I. Fitzgeorge
Frank W. Tussey
Union Methodist Episcopal Church





Philadelphia Inquirer - January 10, 1920
John B. Kates - Mary Melchert - Gustav Szukaj - John Cross - Ann Street
Sycamore Street - Henry Street - Atlantic Avenue - Oscar Manion - Gladys Jones
Benjamin Horwitz - Van Hook Street - Van Buren Street

(Mt. Holly) New Jersey Mirror - February 6, 1921

Faces Jury With a Smile: Mystery Woman Appears;
Kept From Reporters-State's Surprises.

Twice postponed, the trial of Raymond W. Shuck, of Camden, for the murder of David S. Paul, the bank messenger whose body was found in a shallow grave in the pines of this county last fall, was commenced in the Camden county court on Monday. Supreme Court Justice Katzenbach and County Judge Kates were on the bench. There was the same large crowd present at the sessions on the opening day as attended the trial of Frank J. James, who earlier was convicted of murder in the first degree for his part in the dastardly murder and is now awaiting sentence.

Shuck, dapper and apparently confident of escaping the electric chair, sat beside his counsel, J. Russell Carrow, while the jury was being selected and appeared to take a keen interest in the selection of the talesmen. Frequently he leaned over to confer with his lawyer as though to offer suggestions as to the acceptability of otherwise of members of the special panel who were being questioned by Prosecutor Wolverton or Judge Carrow. Back in the audience sat Shuck's well-dressed and rather good looking young wife who had their small son with her.

She was accompanied by friends and seemed to have the personal sympathy of everybody in the court room. She had remained steadfast in her faith in her accused husband and even in the face of evidence of his infidelity, her apparent affection for Shuck did not waver. Six hours were expended in securing twelve men tried and true, who were acceptable to both the State and defense. Counsel for Shuck challenged the array of talesmen on the grounds that there were no women in the panel. The challenge was not allowed by Supreme Court Justice Katzenbach, presiding judge. Finally the jury was made up and the trial at once began.

Jacob Hill, a farmer., of Merchantville, was the first juror accepted and was consequently selected as foremen. Hill is a personal friend of the Shuck family. The other jurors follow:

John H. Sibley, clerk, 576 Line Street, Camden; Charles Myers, painter, Pennsauken; Benjamin Hoffman, real estate, 1323 Broadway, Camden; William P. Fowler, manager, Westmont; George Riggs, retired, Merchantville; Charles Fells, farmer, Gloucester Township; Harry App, carpenter, Merchantville; Nathan Holland, huckster, Pennsauken; Harry Fifield, mechanic, 712 Haddon Avenue, Camden; William H. Gourley, farmer, Pennsauken; Joseph Keegan, retired, Haddon Heights. Keegan is sightless. Despite his condition he was accepted after withstanding cross-examination. 

When Prosecutor Wolverton, with out attempt at oratory of the theatrical but in an even, conversational tone, opened the case for the State and outlined to the jury what the prosecution would undertake to prove, Shuck at times gulped hard and seemed to be having a difficult time to preserve his outwardly calm demeanor. The Prosecutor made it clear at the outset that the State would contend that Shuck had the part of the principal in the murder of Paul and that he dealt some of the blows which resulted in the bank messenger's death. Not only did the Prosecutor charge that Shuck dealt death-causing blows upon Paul but he also alleged that Shuck on two occasions previous to October 5 conspired with James to hold up and rob Paul of sums of money he was carrying. He named the north walk to Federal street ferry as the advantageous spot where the holdup could be staged. That allegation came as a great surprise and it is believed weakened Shuck's defense. 

The Prosecutor averred that he could prove to the jury that Shuck and James had twice before October 5 arranged to holdup, but failed to carry it out because their nerve failed them.

The Prosecutor recited the details of the Paul murder. He explained that Shuck's previous statements that he knew nothing of any plot to rob Paul. He charged that Shuck was aware of the conspiracy and that he was a willing conspirator. Graphically did the Prosecutor relate how Paul was unmercifully beaten in James' automobile in the rear of the Market street walk to the Pennsylvania ferries. He further alleged that Shuck helped toss Paul over the front seat into the back of the car where James fiendishly wielded the automobile spring flange. 

It was also charged that Shuck dealt the finishing blows which silenced the pleading Paul, who begged for his life. The placing of Paul's body in the swamps at Irick's crossing near Tabernacle, Burlington county, and at the burial of the body later were related by the Prosecutor, who also told of how Shuck hid the money first in his own home and later in a grave in the Shuck family lot in Evergreen Cemetery. In closing the Prosecutor asked the jury to return a verdict of murder in the fist degree. 

The appearance of a handsomely dressed and rather striking looking young woman when the trial was begun, lent a new phase to the situation that was watched keenly by those who knew the facts. 

The young woman is known by the officers who have been working on the case as "Mysterious Mary". It is alleged that she kept $1,300 which Shuck left in her custody over night after the murder, he promising to buy her a $480 fur coat the next day, which he did. It is not alleged that this young woman with whom Shuck's relations are hinted to have been more than platonic, had any guilty knowledge of the crime or of her admirer's participation in it. She is believed to have told a straight story to the Prosecutor and it is the understanding that her presence at the trial is intended as a subtle threat by the State that if Shuck undertakes to lie on the stand and further becloud the situation, the woman known to


1741 Kossuth Street

1921 Mrs. Nancy A. Abbott

Philadelphia Inquirer
October 4, 1921

Kossuth Street
Nancy A. Abbott
John B. Kates

Charles H. Ellis


Philadelphia Inquirer - December 9, 1921

John B. Kates - John Kyzerski - Atlantic Avenue

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 24, 1921

John B. Kates - Francis Richardson - James Williams
Walter H. Crabtree -
South 6th Street - Kaighn Avenue

Camden Courier-Post - January 6, 1922

Louis Shaw - Theodore Guthrie -  - John P. Brazier - John B. Kates - George Barag
Stacy Threadgill - Charles S. Straw
Frank Harris - Frank Williams - Arthur Rae - Gilbert Stanley
Kaighn Avenue - Ferry Avenue - Beckett Street - South 4th Street - South 10th Street

Edward S. King - John B. Kates - Louis Hoffman
Walter L. Lippincott - C. Lawrence Dudley - David F. Rose - David R. Rose
Horace F. Nixon - D. Trueman Stackhouse
Arch Street - Federal Street - Market Street - North 4th Street


Judge Kates in Sentencing South Camden Raid Victim Warns Users

Judge John B. Kates served warning on “dope” traffickers in this city when he imposed a sentence of from eighteen months to three years on Ned Galvin, 22 years old, 27 North 4th Street. The prisoner was caught in the police clean-up of drug vendors and users in the downtown tenderloin.

Galvin was convicted of nearly a dozen counts of selling dope to addicts of the tenderloin and was said to have done business on a scale of at least $750 per month. Sentence was imposed in but one of the charges, but the court declares that the other convictions would be held against Galvin in the event he was ever arrested again for narcotics violations. He pleaded not guilty.

“A man who will dispense drugs of that character not only harms the person to whom he sells it, but he is a menace to the community at large,” said Judge Kates in imposing sentence.

Severe Sentence Asked

Assistant Prosecutor Charles Straw, who presented for the prosecution, pressed for a jail sentence that would “serve as a warning of severity to all who engage in the dope traffic”

In making a plea for leniency for the defendant, Walter S. Keown, who had been appointed by the court to defend Galvin, said that it was apparent that he was a victim of “higher ups”.

Press is Praised

“The press is taking good care of the situation in helping to see that the ends of justice are carried out, and I think instead of making this youth the ‘goat’, a future warning, one of severity, should be made for future violators,” said Judge Kates. Mr. Keown declared he favored anything that would rid the city of the dope traffic.”

Minnie Draper and Jessie Smith, tow of the colored girls who figured in the testimony at the hearing against former Policeman Ira Hall, were among the dozen witnesses who testified that they had bought cocaine and heroin from Galvin.

Peter Mathis and Joseph Malone, employed as detectives in the “clean-up” campaign, Tony Decora, 221 Spruce Street, and Richard Marchon, colored, also testified to purchasing “C” and “H”, or cocaine and heroin, from Galvin.

Four other persons arrested in the downtown narcotic raids were to be tried this afternoon.


John B. Kates - Walter Keown - George Ward - Howard Fisher
Anthony "Babe" Paradise - "Pye" Calletino
George Murry - William Draper - Tony Latorre - Ira Hall
Harry "Dutch" Selby - Gus Davis - Albert "Salty" Cook - Ned Galvin - James Wilson
Sycamore Street - Pine Street - Rosetta Blue - Deena Howard

Camden Daily Courier - January 21, 1922

Dr. Emma M. Richardson - William J. Cooper

Philadelphia Inquirer - April 2, 1922

John B. KatesSamuel M. Shay - William D. Brown


Philadelphia Inquirer
April 2, 1922

Edward Billick
Isaac Benus
John B. Kates
Louis Street

Camden Courier-Post - October 20, 1931

Kiwanis Told Movement Leads State in Rehabilitation

Camden county educators in providing special training for crippled children, leads the state in the movement to rehabilitate youths suffering from physical defects.

That opinion was expressed by Joseph G. Buch, of Trenton, chairman of the New Jersey State Crippled Children's Commission, speaking before the Camden Kiwanis Club at Hotel Walt Whitman yesterday.

"Through the efforts of the state organization and the Elks Crippled Kiddies committee," Buch said, "every crippled child in New Jersey is now offered the chance for medical attention, training and vocational guidance.             I '

"More than 13,000 children between the ages of one and 18 years are registered with the state organization at Trenton, and 364 of those able to attend some special training class are being rehabilitated."

Buch urged the service clubs to aid the organization in placing youths in positions in the working world. 

A delegation of Kiwanianians from Brooklyn attended the meeting, headed by the club president, John Kay. The visitors were welcomed by former Judge John B. Kates.

Dr. Martin H. Collier, president of the Camden club, made a report on the annual state convention of Kiwanis held at the hotel last week.

During the meeting musical entertainment was provided by Gene Stroud, singing banjoist and Harry M. Taylor, pianist.

Camden Courier-Post - February 7, 1933

Palese Peddles Tickets For His Own Testimonial

Selling tickets for his own testimonial dinner is a distinction enjoyed by Assistant Prosecutor Rocco Palese.

The dinner, arranged as a testimonial to "the Polish Ambassador," proved a surprise to Palese last night when 28 friends, members of the "Srelsihc Club," let him share the secret in Hotel Walt Whitman.

The dinner, among other reasons, was tendered him because he was the only member of the club to put together a Courier-Post "Hi-Ho" puzzle. For a week prior to the affair he sold tickets to friends, not knowing the affair was in his honor.

With former Judge John B. Kates as toastmaster, wit and repartee passed the festive board, while entertainment was furnished by Bobby Heath and Billy James, famous writers of popular songs.

Those who did honor to Palese are: Judge Kates, Prosecutor Clifford A. Baldwin, Chief of County Detectives Lawrence T. Doran, John R. DiMona, Carl Kisselman, Herbert H. Blizzard, Robert Brest, Charles F. Knapp, Edward V. Martino, William Freeman, William Duby, Louis J. Gale,. Edward Gorman, John J. Fitzgerald, City Commissioner Clay W. Reesman, Anthony Maltesta, F. J. Haws, Edward Neuman, Clifford Stratton, Jules Derowski, Bronislaw Derowski, Richard Troncone, T. Harry Rowland, William F. Lehman, William McDonald, Judge Frank F. Neutze and Robert W Saeger. 

Camden Courier-Post * June 17, 1933

Tells Them to Get Fellow Organizations in Philadelphia to Help Cause

All Camden service clubs were urged yesterday by David Baird, Jr., to enlist the aid of their fellow organizations in Philadelphia in removing obstacles to the Camden Bridge high speed line. 

Baird, addressing the Camden Kiwanis Club at its luncheon in the Hotel Walt Whitman, praised the Delaware River Joint Commission's plan for a tie-up between the bridge line and a terminal at Haddon Avenue and Carman Street as superior to other proposals.

Reviews Situation 

After reviewing briefly the status of the high-speed lines, the speaker stressed the importance of immediate action on construction of the lines so as to furnish employment to 1900 or more men. He averred that work could begin within 60 days after funds are made available. 

During his address Baird declared "there was no mystery about the building of the new city hall-court house." 

A conference was held, he said, prior to the erection of the building, the plans were announced and the cost computed. 

"It was estimated,", said Baird, "that the building would cost between $5,000,000 and $6,000,000. That was during times when people looked on millions the way they do dollars today. The new building actually cost between $8,000,000 and $9,000,000, including the land and everything." 

Attending the luncheon were John B. Kates, vice chairman of the Delaware River Joint Commission, and New Jersey Commissioners Frank L. Suplee, Lucius E. Hires, Arthur C. King and Barton F. Sharp. 

Advantages For All 

Baird stated that the revenues from the lines would carry the new indebtedness and the benefits accrued would be of advantage to both Camden and Philadelphia and the surrounding territory. He pointed out that New York City, when moving for construction of bridges to New Jersey, did not take into consideration the place of residence of the bridge users but instead considered their buying power and all benefits to be derived by New York. This, of course, was directed against the principal objection of Philadelphia to a high-speed line, an objection that has prevented the city council from approving the plans for such a line. 

While Baird was speaking here the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce was urging Philadelphia mayor and council to take immediate action to construct a connecting link between the proposed high-speed line and the Eighth street subway. 

Baird's Address

Camden Courier-Post - August 3, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - February 26, 1938

Is Zat So!

TALK about the long arm of coincidence, wait until you read this. Some years ago there wall a senator from Camden county named Albert S. Woodruff. A lawyer of recognized ability throughout the state, he was also a political figure 
of prominence in the councils of the state government and the G. O. P.

During his tenure at Trenton a measure was adopted which called for codification of the state laws, or something of that nature whereby a good part of the statute law of New Jersey was rewritten. 

One of the laws that came into revision was the law that created the Delaware River Joint Commission, the group 'that has control of the vested interests of the state in Camden Bridge. 

And one of the committee that revised those laws was Senator Albert S. Woodruff of Camden county. From this prelude we'll give the floor to Br'er Woodruff and let him give an interesting revelation as to the reason why the law 
governing appointments to the bridge commission from New Jersey was rewritten. 

"I was fearful," the former solon I told me yesterday, "that we might come to the time when New Jersey would have a Democratic governor who would have the appointment of the bridge commission in his control. I didn't want the 
Republican party thus to be stripped of membership on the commission so I wrote, deliberately and with premeditation the clause in the bill that provides for ad interim appointments only until 'the Legislature meets.' 

'''I figured that it was rational to assume that in the majority of elections the Legislature would be under Republican control. In fact, my belief is borne out by the complexion of the two branches since revision." 


"The intention of that law," continued the ex-senator, "was to have no ad interim appointment last longer than the date when the Legislature organized. Thus we would always be assured of G. O. P. membership in control of the bridge on 
the Jersey side because the Legislature would always remain in our hands, I felt.

"I'm certain that an opinion from the attorney general will bear out this legal contention that ad interim appointments exist only when the Legislature is out of session and those ad interim appointments expire the instant the Legislature 
resumes sittings." 

This opinion of the man who rewrote the law is interesting for several obvious reasons. It also reveals how the long arm of coincidence has reached out to take hold of a vexing situation for legislators, bridge counsel and other interested parties. 

For David Baird, Jr., recently was given the ad interim appointment by the retiring Governor Hoffman. The Legislature has since been in session but no action has been taken on filling the vacancy caused by the resignation of 
Treasurer John B. Kates

Strangely enough the obstacle to the path of electing Baird to the full term, for which he now occupies the ad interim appointment, is Albert S. Woodruff, who has been boomed for the Kates vacancy. Meanwhile David Baird, Jr., sits as 
a bridge, commissioner and the whole kettle of trouble woe and travail boils merrily ever.

The next move in this legislative puzzle must come from some source, while the Democrats have the opportunity to sit back and let the various Republican factions stew in their own juice. 


You solons in the State Legislature want to get a load of THIS information. Some time ago we protested as a resident of Camden about misrepresentation on the various commissions affecting Camden city and county by whistle stop 

This is Chapter Two about the same situation as regards the Camden bridge.

Perhaps you men at Trenton are unaware that the whistle stop commissioner from Atlantic county only represents that bailiwick in absentia. 

I might inform you gentlemen at Trenton that the bridge commission held a meeting yesterday, in executive session,

I understand, the commissioners from South Jersey took yours truly over the coals. They proceeded to slam the portly scribe about with both vim and Vigor.

That's okeh with me. We've been socked by experts. It doesn't destroy the fact, however, that we did a little investigation on, our own account. The result of that inquiry is that we would like you solons to ask the whistle stop commissioner from Atlantic county if he receives communications to himself at Boonton, N. J. If so why? 

Boonton is in Morris county and either the whistle stop commissioner lives in Morris county or he dwells in Atlantic county. If he lives in Morris county, votes there and has his legal residence there, what right has he to sit on the bridge 
commission. as a whistle stop commissioner from Atlantic county? " 

So much for the whistle stop commissioner from Atlantic City, who probably represents the seaside via Morris county. How about the other whistle stop commissioners? Where do they really live?  

Camden Courier-Post
April 4, 1940

John B. Kates
J. Frank Hanly
C.A. Lotz
William J. Strandwitz
Walt Whitman Hotel