CARL QUINTON was born in Cleveland, Ohio on August 10, 1893 to Mathias and Caroline "Lena" Quinton. The 1900 Census shows him as the third of seven children, coming after Henry, Louis, and Mattie; and before Lena, Paul, and Margaret. Both of his parents had been born in Germany, his mother coming to America as a small child, his father as a teenager. The Quintons were living at 182 Birch Street Rear in Cleveland, when the Census was enumerated. 

His family came to New Jersey around 1902, and settled in Camden's Eight Ward. Four more children would be born by 1910, Werner, Sylvia, Walter, and Elmer. The 1905 City directory shows the Quinton Family residing at 681 Ferry Avenue, with Mathias Quinton then working as a ship fitter, most likely at the recently opened New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard. By 1910 the family had moved to 687 Jefferson Avenue. This home would remain in the Quinton family into the 1960s.

Carl Quinton married his wife Elizabeth when he was 20 years old. The 1914 City Directory shows that his parents were still living at 687 Jefferson Avenue. Carl Quinton is not named in this directory, while brothers Henry and Louis were. Henry Quinton's occupation is given as mariner, and it is quite possible that Carl Quinton was then serving with the United States Navy. 

When he registered for the draft on June 5, 1917, Carl Quinton was working as a ship fitter at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard on Broadway in South Camden. His draft card shows that he and his wife and two children were living at 715 Central Avenue, and that he had served for one year in the United States Navy. On October 10, 1917, Carl Quinton was appointed to the Camden Dire Department. He served briefly with the Engine Company 3, however, the  higher wages being paid at the shipyard lured him back to that line of work in January of 1918. Census records from 1930 indicate that he went back into the military again during World War I. 

The 1920 Census, taken February 7, 1920 shows Carl and Elizabeth Quinton living at 1819 Van Buren Street with two daughters, Dorothy, 4 years and 6 months old, and Margaret, 7 months old. This indicates that one of the children in the family when he registered for the draft in June of 1917 had died. The Quinton home was across the Street from the Venella family at 1824 Van Buren, around the corner from John Asbert's saloon at 673 Ferry Avenue, and the families of William J. Kelly at 675 Ferry Avenue, Alex Slowey at 1811 South 7th Street, Ernest Tartaglia at 666 Ferry Avenue, Nicholas Hetz at 660 Ferry Avenue. and Mikey Brown at 660 Ferry Avenue. The original Antioch Baptist Church building stood at 1811 Van Buren Street. By this time Carl Quinton had secured an appointment to the Camden Police Department. Brother Louis Quinton was living at 636 Viola Street and then owned a pool room. Louis Quinton later served with the Camden Fire Department, until being seriously injured while fighting a fire on Division Street on July 27, 1925. Louis Quinton was politically active with Mikey Brown and the Eight Ward Republican Club, aligned with David Baird Jr., which may have had much to do with the brother's appointments.

Carl Quinton served on the Camden Police Department as a mounted office through at least 1922. The 1924 City Directory shows that the family was still living at 1819 Van Buren Street, but that Carl Quinton had left the police department to work as an "agent" for the Yellow Cab Company at 434 Walnut Street, an operation whose principals were then-Camden County physician Dr. Frank Stem, and former Camden assistant city prosecutor Charles S. Straw.  

The Quintons are not listed in the 1927 Camden City Directory. The 1929 Camden City Directory shows Carl Quinton and his wife Elizabeth living at 613 Ferry Avenue. No occupation is given. When the Census was taken the following year, Carl Quinton was still at the Ferry Avenue address. He was then operating a pool room. 

When Carl Quinton registered for the draft in the spring of 1942, he gave his occupation as "pensioned". He may have been receiving this pension as a result of an injury or injuries sustained while serving with the Camden police department. By this time he and his wife had moved to Water Street in Glendora, New Jersey. 

Last a resident of Glassboro, New Jersey, Carl Quinton died in September of 1970. 


World War I Draft Card

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Post-Telegram * January 18, 1918

Carl Quinton - Joshua Hughes - Engine Company 3

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 22, 1918

Ferry Avenue - Michael Erriescki - Frederick Smith - Carl Quinton
L. Najulis Saloon - Jennie Stevenson - Kossuth Street
F. Joseph Rouh - Dr. David Rhone - Stephen Shumluski 

Camden Post-Telegram * January 9, 1922


On complaint being made in quite sarcastic style by a woman over the phone, Mounted Policeman Carl Quinton charged on a bunch of crap shooters, at Third and Kaighn Avenue, late on Saturday afternoon, sending them scurrying terror stricken in all directions. All the bone dalliers, at Third and Kaighn Avenue, late on Saturday afternoon escaped but left the dice and pot of coin behind.

Camden Evening Courier - January 23, 1922

Alarms of Fire Before and After Carrigan Funeral

Just before Camden firemen were planning to leave headquarters yesterday to march to the home of Captain Martin B. Carrigan, who lost his life in the falling roof at the Economy Store fire, they were summoned to a three alarm fire at the stables of Hugh A. Greenan, 1736 South 7th Street.

When Engine Companies No. 7 and 8 reached their fire houses this morning after the Carrigan funeral, an alarm was received from the drugstore of W.J. Grobowski, 1250 Everett street.

The Grobowski fire had its origin in a pile of rubbish in the basement and was extinguished with a small loss.

Camden Evening Courier - January 23, 1922

Nearly All of City's Apparatus At Fire That Destroys Building

Fire, believed to have started through the drying of animal hair, destroyed the frame building of Hugh A. Greenann, 1736 South 7th Street, shortly before noon yesterday. The loss is estimated at $3,000.

When Fire Chief Peter B. Carter arrived at the scene, the building was doomed. Fearing for the safety of adjoining buildings and homes, Chief Carter sounded a second and then a general alarm. nearly every piece of the city's fire apparatus was on the scene of the fire.

A man who resides near the rear of the building saw smoke issuing from the center of the buildings at 11:15 o'clock. An investigation showed hair, used in the manufacture of a patent plaster for building purposes, was ablaze. Another neighbor ran to a nearby fire box and sounded the alarm.

Both men joined in rescuing six horses that were in the stable adjoining the fire. Frank Clements, Policeman Carl Quinton and Samuel Ward arrived on the scene and succeeded in saving harness, two  wagons and an automobile before the flames spread to the stables.

Hugh A. Greenan, owner of the buildings and business, said his loss, amounting to approximately $32000, was partly covered by insurance.

Hundreds of persons returning home from church were attracted to the fire scene and viewed the work of the firemen from beyond the fire lines. No one was injured, although falling timber from the building constantly hampered the progress of the fire fighters.

Camden Evening Courier - May 24, 1922

Click on Image to Enlarge

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 18, 1922

Van Buren Street

World War II Draft Card

Click on Image to Enlarge