ROX SAPONARE was born January 11, 1892 in Italy to Antonio and Donata Maria Saponare. The family came to America in early in the 1900s. Rox Saponare married his wife Elizabeth in 1916. When the 1920 Census was taken the couple had bought a home at 1006 South 4th Street. He was then working as a bolter at one of Camden's shipyards. 

Rox Saponare became a member of the Camden Police Department during the 1920s. By 1927 he had been promoted to detective. By April of 1930 he had been promoted to Sergeant, and was still serving in the Detective bureau. Rox and Elizabeth Saponare still lived at 1006  South 4th Street, and by then had five children, Anthony, John, Dina, Frank, and Michelina. Sergeant Saponare's father Antonio and a nephew, also named Antonio also lived at that address. 

The Saponare family resided at that address as late as 1936. By that time Sergeant Rox Saponare had been placed in charge of the Fingerprint and Identification department of the Camden Police Department. When he 

 was succeeded by Detective William A. Deery

By 1947 the Saponare family had moved to 562 Spruce Street. By this time son Anthony C. Saponare had joined the  Camden Fire Department. Rox Saponare passed away in September of 1965.

Rocco Saponare's grandson, Anthony R. Saponare, retired in 1989 from the Camden Police Department as Deputy Chief after 25 years of dedicated service. He went on to serve the Camden County Sheriff's Department as an Undersheriff for 12 years before becoming Chief of County Investigators with the Camden County prosecutor's office. In 2003 he was assigned by Camden County prosecutor Vincent Sarubbi to assist Acting Chief Edwin Figueroa in implementing recommended changes in the administration of the Camden Police Department's daily operations. 

Camden Courier-Post
November 22, 1927


John Golden
William Dolan
Rox Saponare
Frank Truax
Anson Kelley
Ralph Bakley

John Potter
John Skolski
William Whaland
James Clay

Camden Courier-Post - January 20, 1928

Gropes for Light, Man Is Killed by Fall Down Stairs

Stumbling as he groped for & light in the home of a friend, a South Camden man fell down a stairway in a Sycamore street home early today and broke his neck.

Howard Ashton, 45 years old, 1242 South Second Street was pronounced dead when admitted to Cooper Hospital shortly after 1 o’clock.

City Detective Rox Saponare went to the home of Alfred Marshman, 258 Sycamore Street, after detective headquarters had received a telephone tip that a man had fallen downstairs.

Saponare said Ashton and Marshman apparently had been drinking during the evening. They had retired to a second-floor bedroom, and Ashton apparently had started for the first floor when he fell. . 


February 25, 1928

Borton Street

Harry Cowely
Helen Cowley


Camden Courier-Post - February 27, 1928
Click on Image
to Enlarge

Earl Bogard
Maurice DeNicoli
Rox Saponare
George H. Williams

Ferry Avenue
Westfield Avenue


September 13, 1928


Camden Evening Courier - September 18, 1928



David Hunt - Thomas Cheeseman - Walter Smith - Rox Saponare
John W. Golden - Howard Pike -  Samuel Johnson - Lewis Stehr   
William Beottcher - George Ward - Louis Shaw - Frank Malec - Joseph Moll
Lawrence T. Doran - Samuel P. Orlando - Louis Shectman
Mrs. Mary Brown -
Polack Joe Deven - Frank Smith
Walter Selby - Walter Wartmann - Charles Foulk - Mrs. Edward McGrath
Father John J. Henry -
Joseph "Mose" Flannery"  - James Bonner  William Bonner  - James L. Hawkins - Walter Novak - Joseph Novak
Garfield Del Duca - Eugene Murphy - Russell Sage - Patrick Driscoll
Joseph "Cuzzy" Scarduzio

Evening Courier

September 18, 1928

Camden Morning Post - December 8, 1930

Rocco Auletto aka Roxie Allen
Louis Bottino
Theodore Guthrie - Wilfred Dube
Rox Saponare - Joseph Lack
George Probert - Charles Areni
Carmen Passarella
Salvatore Passalacqua
Nicholas Dandrea - Nicholas Yenitti
A. Baer - Harry Whaland 
Broadway - Central Avenue
Clinton Street
Kaighn Avenue
Mt. Ephraim Avenue
South 4th Street - Spruce Street

Evening Courier
December 8, 1930



Rocco Auletto aka Roxie Allen - Louis Bottino
Theodore Guthrie - Wilfred Dube - Rox Saponare - Joseph Lack
George Probert - Charles Areni - Carmen Passarella
Salvatore Passalacqua - Nicholas Dandrea - Nicholas Yenitti
Rocco DeCorda - Harry Whaland 
Broadway - Central Avenue - Clinton Street - Kaighn Avenue
Mt. Ephraim Avenue - South 3rd Street - South 4th Street
Spruce Street - Washington Street - Pine Street

Camden Courier-Post - Evening Courier
May 16, 1933

Former Cafe Owner Denies Revolver Was Fired 5 Times From Car

Garfield Del Duca, former owner of the Ringside Inn and the Embassy Cafe on Federal Street near Second was released early today after being questioned regarding shots reported to have been fired from his automobile.

Policemen William Feitz and Clarence Phifer said they heard what they believed to be five gunshots as Del Duca's car passed Broadway and Walnut Street shortly before 1:00 AM. There were two men in the rear seat, they said.

By the time Feitz and Phifer caught up to Del Duca's machine in their own car, it was parked at Second and Line Streets. Del Duca was sitting in the front seat. No one was in the rear but the officers said the rear doors were open.

Del Duca was taken to headquarters where he denied any knowledge of firing or even hearing shots. There was no gun in his machine and after questioning Del Duca was freed at 2:15 AM by Detective Sergeant Rox Saponare.

Two women, Katherine Blake, 30, and Margaret Huston, 30, both of 524 Spruce Street, who were walking on Broadway at the time of the alleged shots, also said they heard nothing when questioned at headquarters. They were allowed to go after questioning.      

Two men reported seen in front or the Lyric Theatre just before Del Duca's car passed, disappeared before they could be Interrogated by the police, Feitz said.

Camden Courier-Post - June 24, 1933

Stricken by Food in Camden Factory

Two girl employees of the RCA Victor Company who are among nearly 100 persons suffering from ptomaine poisoning as the result of eating from "box lunches." Miss Clara Schaeffer, left, of Gloucester, and Miss Violetta Brown, Brooklawn, were confined to their beds at their homes last night after receiving treatment at Cooper Hospital.

New York Ship Employees Sent to Hospital From Ptomaine
Sandwiches Served by Philadelphia Caterer Believed to Be Responsible

Nearly 100 Camden factory and shipyard workers were poisoned yesterday after eating food contained in box lunches.

More than 60 of the workers, stricken at their machines in. the RCA Victor Company plants, were rushed to the company's dispensary and local hospitals. Many are reported in serious condition.

At the New York Shipbuilding Company others became ill after partaking of the lunches. Four are in West. Jersey Homeopathic Hospital recovering from the effects of the poisoned food. At least three more were stricken at the leather plant of the John R. Evans Company, Second and Erie Streets.

In Philadelphia more than a score of laundry workers were carried to physicians and hospitals, all said to be victims of contaminated foods. Physicians believed all would recover.

Dr. David D. Helm, city sanitary inspector, believed the ptomaine condition resulted from the eating of egg sandwiches.

Dr. Helm, along with Sergeant Rox Saponare and detectives, last night questioned Ray Konst, 3313 D Street, Philadelphia, owner of a Philadelphia box lunch concern.

Put Ban on Sales

Following the quizzing, Konst was ordered to refrain from further selling of the box lunches in Camden, pending the result of an investigation. He also must obtain complete approval from the Philadelphia Board of Health before being allowed to resume operations here. 

The boxes, distributed by Konst, are labeled "The Majestic Lunch." Konst declared that never before had complaint reached him as to the quality of his food. 

"I have ordered distribution of Majestic Lunches in Camden be stopped," Dr. Helm said, "until the investigation has been completed and the health authorities in Philadelphia to whom all evidence will be given because they supervise this company, give them a clean bill of health."            

Two of the box lunches have been obtained by police and will be chemically analyzed today by order of Dr. A. L. Stone, city health officer.

Konst assured police he would assist in any manner possible to learn the source and nature of the foodstuff causing the illness.

Woman First Victim

'The first illness occurred shortly after 3 p. m. at the RCA Victor plant. A young woman was overcome after partaking of a glass of water. She was taken to the dispensary where Dr. Reuben L. Sharp said she was suffering from ptomaine poisoning. 

Within a short time several other girls and men in various sections of the plant were stricken. Some fainted at their machines and had to be carried to the dispensary.

Soon Dr. Sharp and his staff of nurses had more than, they could handle. Private automobiles were pressed into service and many of the victims taken to Cooper Hospital, where stomach pumps were used to clear their bodies of the poisonous food.

One man, B. H. Poole, 40, of 144 North Sixtieth street, Philadelphia, was admitted and his condition described as serious.

Others were treated and sent to their homes, where many were at­tended last night by their personal physicians.

Girl Describes Scene

Miss Clara. Shaeffer, 19, of 226 South Fifth Street, Gloucester, employed at the RCA Victor, told of the scenes near her shortly before she became ill and was rushed to Cooper Hospital for treatment.

"I saw many of the girls running upstairs to the restroom," Miss Schaeffer said at her home, where she is confined to bed, "but paid little attention to them, although several had to be assisted up the steps.

"Suddenly I felt sick at my stomach and had a desire for a drink of water. I asked the girl next to me to get me a drink, but she was unable to leave her machine at the time and I walked to the fountain.

"After taking the drink everything seemed to whirl about and I thought I was going to faint. I told my foreman and he ordered me taken to the dispensary.

"When I arrived there the place was filled and someone took me to Cooper Hospital, where the doctor gave me some medicine and I was taken to my home."

Miss Schaeffer said she grew worse after she arrived home and her parents summoned a physician.

Fall at Machines

Others told similar stories of the scenes as worker after worker was stricken. Plant officials said many had fallen where they stood, the ptomaine attack seizing them so suddenly they had no time to summon aid. 

Konst told Detectives Benjamin Simon and John Opfer that he sells more than 200 box lunches in Camden daily. He has agents at the RCA plants, New York Shipyard and at the leather companies.

He also sells more than 500 box lunches daily in Philadelphia.

The lunch yesterday was made up of a cheese sandwich, an egg and lettuce sandwich, a piece of apple pie, cupcake and fruit. Some of the lunches contained tuna fish sandwiches.

Man's Condition Serious

According to Dr. Helm, all of those taken ill had eaten the egg sandwiches, some had partaken of the tuna fish and others of the cheese.

One man became ill when he ate half an egg sandwich given him by a fellow employee late in the afternoon. 

The laundry workers affected were employed at the Forrest Laundry, 1225 West Columbia Avenue, Philadelphia.

One of these, John Gilligan, 52, of 1923 East Willard Street, was taken to St. Luke's and Children's Homeopathic Hospital in a critical condition. 

Police were checking other hospitals to learn if additional victims were unreported. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 24, 1933

Partial List Of Poisoned

A partial list of the nearly 100 persons poisoned by food at local factories yesterday follows:


Treated at Dispensary:

Barbara White, 3136 North Twenty-ninth Street, Philadelphia.

Vera White, 825 North Sixth Street, Philadelphia.

E. B. Bauers, 1255 Kenwood Avenue.

Mary Mossman, 3163 Amber Street, Philadelphia.

Anna Cullen, 2124 Memphis Street, Philadelphia.

Clyde Lape, 562 Mickle Street .

WIlliam H. Scott, 222 Crestmont Terrace, Collingswood.

M. E. Wagner, 581 Carman Street.

A. Burman, 1466 Kenwood Avenue.

Miss M. Brennan, 2141 North Dover Street, Philadelphia.

Emma Randelbach, Lindenwold,

John Derry, Camden.

Helen Shevlin, 854 South Fifth Street.

Miss Shaefer, 2825 Amber Street, Philadelphia.

Treated at Cooper Hospital:

B. H. Poole, 40, of 144 North Sixtieth Street, Philadelphia.

Admitted to hospital.

Miss Violetta Brown, 21, Brooklawn.

Miss Clara Schaeffer, 226 South Fifth Street, Gloucester.

Dorothy Kurtz, 32, of 308 Penn Street.

Alfred Shaefer, 42, of 932 Cooper Street.

Gertrude Carl, 17, of 820 Brown Street, Gloucester.

Peter I. Cassell, 42, of 353 East Cambria Street, Philadelphia.

Willard Stipezell, 25, of 3918 Camden Avenue.

Frank Di Nardo, 24, of 222 Second Street, Schenectady, N. Y.


Treated at West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital:

Howard Fryer, 42, of 214 Bergen Street, Gloucester.

William Shaeffer, 54, Woodbury Heights.

Philip Saponaro, 33, of, 422 Evans Street.

John Joyce, 32, of 310 Manton Street, Philadelphia. 

Camden Courier-Post - August 10, 1933


Three masked and armed stick­up men obtained $6 loot early today when they raided the cafe of Stanley Wojciechowski, at 2051 Arlington Street.

The holdup men, shabbily dressed directed Wojciechowski, his wife, their daughter, Stella, and Mrs. Mary Miller, of Westville, to turn their faces to the wall. Cowing the four with revolvers, one of the trio rifled the proprietor's pockets; then all three fled in an automobile they had left parked in front of the cafe.

Camden Detective Sergeant  Rox Saponare said each of the four victims expressed belief the bandits could be identified.

Camden Courier-Post - August 15, 1933


Charged with "technical larceny of a motor vehicle", Eugene Clark, colored, of 1003 Ferry Avenue, this city, was sought by police last night after he escaped from a state motor vehicle inspector.

Complaint against Clark, according to Inspector H. C. Wilson, of Audubon, was made in a letter written to Commissioner Harold G. Hoffman, by another trucker. It is alleged Clark, has been using a license plate not issued for his truck. Inspector Wilson told Detective Sergeant Rox Saponare that Clark fled from his home after evading inquiry. The accused man leaped over several fences in making his escape, Wilson said.

Camden Courier-Post - September 18, 1933


Dazedly Insists He Had No Intention of Shooting Sire
Slain Man Long Was Prominent Figure in Camden Politics

Jacob Schiller, 72, for 45 years a political figure here, is dead, shot by his own son.

The slayer, William Schillcr, 30, a former summer policeman now unemployed, was held over today to the grand jury on a charge of murder. He made no comment whatever during his police court hearing.

A few hours later, young Schiller's wife, Augusta, whom he lad also tried to shoot, was found wandering through the city street, in all hysterical condition.

She had written a note which police believed showed intent to 

commit suicide, and had staggered dazedly through the streets last night. Both in her note and in her incoherent statements to detectives she declared she was to blame for the tragedy.

She said her father-in-law had tried to save her and was killed in the attempt.

 The slaying occurred Saturday night at the elder Schiller's home, 2420 Carman Street. It climaxed an estrangement between young Schiller and his wife, with "Jake" Schiller attempting to reconcile the couple.

Mrs. William Schiller, who had had her husband arrested several months ago, said she believed he had become mentally deranged, but Police Judge Pancoast was informed that an alienist had examined young Schiller in July and pronounced him sane.

Couple Separated

Young Schiller had been living with his father at the Carman Street address, while Mrs. Schiller has been residing with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John I. Green, 409 North Thirty-seventh Street. The cause of the estrangement has no been revealed by police, but it is stated that young Schiller refused to consent to a reconciliation.

"Jake" Schiller was a Republican worker in the Twelfth ward for years, and was at the time or his death inspector of city street lights.

Were Alone it Home

The father and son were at home 9.00 p. m. Saturday night and apparently were quarreling when the young Mrs. Schiller, her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. William Miller and another sister, Mrs. Lottie Bennehler, reached the house.

"Don't come in here," the older Schiller shouted as they started to enter the front sun parlor. But Miller did enter and said young Schiller was clutching a revolver in his right hand. He declared he closed in on his brother-in-law and tried to wrench the revolver from him. Two shots rang out and the father fell to the floor.

Patrolman Joseph Keefe was standing at Twenty-fifth and Federal Streets when two boys ran up and told him there was a shooting at Twenty-fifth and Carman Street. He ran to the scene and said he reached there in time to see young Schiller shooting up the street at his wife.

Keefe said Schiller ran into the house when he saw him. Aided by Miller, Keefe overpowered Schiller and placed an iron claw on his right hand after disarming him.

Jacob Schiller Jr., another son, learning of the shooting, went to his father's home and took him to Cooper Hospital in a passing automobile As he was being taken into the hospital he failed to recognize City Detective Robert Ashenfelter and died five minutes later.

Expresses No Regret

Police Sergeant John Potter joined Keefe and Miller and they took young Schiller to police headquarters.

Keefe said the son expressed no regret at shooting his father.

At about 5 a, m. today, Policeman Keefe was patrolling his "beat" when he passed the Schiller home on Carman Street. He noticed the front door was standing open, and he went inside to investigate.

The officer saw a note on a smoking stand. Picking it up, he read:

"Dear Everybody:

 "Please forgive me ... You have all been so wonderful ... But I couldn't go on to see you all suffer for what is my fault ... Lottie was right ... He killed his father because of insane love for me ... But he didn't. I killed Pop and now am sending Bibs to jail for my weakness.

 "Tell him I love him and ask my poor mother and dad to forgive me. I should have done this long ago and saved everyone all this suffering ... I love Billy and I know he loves me but I am afraid he has been turned against me. But I forgive him for all.


 "Gussie" is Mrs. Schiller.

Finds 'Gussie’ Hysterical

Keefe ran to Federal Street, but could not see Mrs. Schiller.

Meanwhile, Constable Dugan of the Twelfth Ward, saw Mrs. Schiller walking on Federal Street near the Cooper River. She was mumbling to herself and was in a hysterical condition, Dugan said.

Dugan telephoned police headquarters. City Detectives Rox Saponare and Maurice DeNicoli went out Federal Street and took her back with them to detective headquarters. There they sought to quiet her, but she continually sobbed.

"I want to take the blame- if I hadn't gone to Pop's home he would be living now."

"Pop wanted to save me," she said. "and he was shot. I can't eat or sleep. I think I'm going crazy."

Later, she was permitted to return to the home.

Young Schiller had been held in the city jail over the weekend. Today he was taken into police court. He wore no necktie and carried a raincoat over his arm. He was rep resented by counsel, C. Lawrence Gregorio, who said he had been retained "by friends" to act as attorney for the accused man.

City detective Benjamin Simon had signed the complaint in which he charged "on information received” that Schiller did feloniously and with malice aforethought shoot and kill his father.

The complaint was read to him and Gregorio told him not to say any thing, as Judge Pancoast would enter a plea of "not guilty" in his behalf. This was done by the court and Schiller was then held without bail pending grand jury action. He was taken to the county jail.

Declared Sane

After the hearing, Mrs. Etta C. Pfrommer, acting overseer of the poor, told Judge Pancoast that on July 26, Dr. Harry Jarrett, Broadway and Cherry Street, well known alienist, had examined young Schiller and declared him sane. The examination was made on the request of Mrs. Schiller in police court on the previous day. At that time young Schiller had been released by the court in the custody of his father.

County Detective Chief Lawrence T. Doran, who was among the first to question young Schiller Saturday night, said the man did not seem repentant over what he had done. He said Schiller did not give authorities much information. According to Doran, young Schiller declared he had objected frequently to his father that he did not want his wife to come to their home.

"It doesn't seem possible," said young Mrs. Schiller some hours after the tragedy. "It seems as though it was only a dream. I don't seem to remember anything.

"Poor Bill. He must have been crazy. He idolized his father. You can blame this all on the depression. He has been without work since they eliminated summer policemen two years ago. He has been worried as a result of being unable to obtain work. Just recently he started to drink.

"Bill intended to shoot me but his father tried to get the gun away from him and I believe it went off accidentally. Nothing could convince me that Bill would shoot his father in cold blood.

"I went to his father's home last night to try to effect a reconciliation with my husband. He had been drinking."

Registered as Sober

The police docket at headquarters shows Schiller registered as sober. The entry was not made until 2.15 a. m., and the shooting occurred shortly after 9.30 p.m.

Relatives said the father had attempted for months to patch up the marital difficulties of the couple.

Young Schiller had been living lately with his sister, Mrs. Bennehler, 2530 Bank Street and his wife with her parents at 409 North Thirty-seventh Street. He formerly lived at that address with his wife. He was appointed a summer policeman in 1929 and served until they were all dismissed two years ago.

Coroner Holl and Dr. Edward B. Rogers, county physician, yesterday performed an autopsy on the senior Schiller's body and ascertained that death was due to an internal hemorrhage caused by a bullet wound of the upper portion of the abdomen. They said a .32-callbre revolver had been used in the shooting.

Camden Lodge of Elks will hold services tomorrow night at the Schiller home, at which time the body will be on view. The funeral will be private on Wednesday with burial in Evergreen Cemetery.

Judge Pancoast last night recalled that young Schiller was arrested two months ago after he had kept his wife a prisoner on a lot all night. At that time "Jake," as he was affectionately known to his friends, tried to act as a mediator between his son and daughter-in-law.

The young Mrs. Schiller at that time told Pancoast she believed her husband was deranged and asked permission to have him examined by physicians she would name. Pancoast released young Schiller in the custody at his father. The police judge said the examination had apparently not been made as no commitment papers had been sent through his office.

Few political workers were better known that "Jake” Schiller. He was born in Philadelphia and was brought to Camden in early life by his parents, who conducted a saloon near Twenty-third and Federal Streets. East Camden was then the town of Stockton and the scene of Saturday night's shooting was a farm. Schiller recalled to friends that he drove cows through a pasture on which his house now stands.

 He was originally a Democrat but became a Republican through persuasion of the late U. S. Senator David Baird and remained a friend of the former leader for 40 years.

 Schiller had been melancholy over the death of his wife on February 13 last, friends said.

 When his son was arrested he remarked to Pancoast:  What is next?"

Figured In Shaw Case

None was more in the public eye 35 years ago in South Jersey than Schiller. It was the that he figured prominently in one phase of the locally celebrated Shaw murder trial.

It was during the second trial of Eli Shaw for the murder of his mother and grandmother, Mrs. Anna Shaw and Mrs. Emma Zane. They were found shot to death in September, 1897, in their bedroom of their home on Line Street near Third. Detective John Painter had found a revolver hidden in the chimney, one of several points in the circumstantial evidence that resulted in the indictment of Shaw. He was then a widely known young man about town and his arrest caused a big sensation. As time drew near for the trial feeling was intense, for there were adherents for and against the son and grandson, those arguments often grew bitter.

Henry Sidney Scovel, then one of the prominent criminal lawyers of Camden county, was retained to defend Shaw. Scovel was son of James Matlack Scovel, himself one of the leading barristers of this section. When the trial of Shaw was under way the city was astounded when it was charged Scovel had tampered with the jury. It was Schiller who made the charge.

The trial stopped abruptly. Scovel emphatically denied the story of Schiller and demanded vindication. An indictment for embracery was returned and at a trial, which had Camden on the tip toe of expectancy for days, it developed there was absolutely nothing to verify the charge, and Scovel was acquitted. He acted in two subsequent trials of Shaw, the second being a disagreement and the third acquittal for the son and grandson of the slain women.

Schiller, strangely enough, in later years became friendly with Scovel and when the latter was prosecutor from 1905 to 1912, "Jake," as he was familiarly known, was usually to be found in the office at the courthouse. Scovel was then a white haired man of flowery speech and impressive personality who let bygones be bygones.

Long Excise Inspector

For more than 20 years Schiller was inspector of the Excise Commission in Camden. It was during the days when the principal object of the inspector apparently was to keep the saloonmen in line. He was considered pretty good at that job, by no means an unimportant one from the organization viewpoint. It was also during that period the city had its troubles enforcing the Sunday liquor laws. There were those who considered they had enough pull to keep their back or side doors open on the Sabbath to let in their regular thirsty trade. Some succeeded in getting by, but "Jake" had his own troubles in keeping the boys straight and sometimes causing their arrest, although that was not frequent by any means.

His reign as inspector, too, was in the halcyon days of free lunch and schooner beers. Saloonmen themselves were against the lunch idea eventually since it meant too much of a financial burden. Jake kept tabs on the recalcitrants so that the liquor dealers knew who was obeying the order and who was "cutting corners" to get some extra trade.

Schiller was virtually raised with the saloon trade since his father was one of the old time German beer garden owners here, having had a place at Fourth and Line Streets. That was in the days when that section was largely populated by the German, English and Irish families lately come from the motherlands. When he was a boy, Schiller entered the U. S. Navy and served several years. When he came out he went to the old Town of Stockton, now East Camden, where he opened a saloon on Federal Street near Twenty-fourth. At that period, some 45 years ago, Stockton seethed with politics and it was just as natural for a young man to get into the game as it was for a duck to swim. Jake at that period was a Democrat and during the battle in the middle 90's when the West Jersey Traction and the Camden Horse Railway Company were fighting for the rail franchises in the town he was a candidate for council from the old Second Ward. The late Robert Lee was the Republican candidate and won out by the narrow margin of two votes. In later years Schiller became a Republican and was elected a constable.

Never Ran From Scrap

Throughout his career Schiller never quite forgot his training In the navy, particularly with reference to boxing or fighting at the drop of a hat. He was a scrapper in his early years and never ran from a fight. That was just as true in political battles, frequent then around the polls, as in purely personal matters. And Jake would battle for a friend just as readily as for any personal reason. He was usually in the thick of the political fracases of the years when it was the accepted thing to fight at the drop of a hat. But he also had lots of native wit which kept things interesting when he was a frequenter of the prosecutors' office during the Scovel and Wolverton regime's. In late years, with the approach of age, he had tempered his propensity to get into an argument and liked nothing more than to tell of “the good old days" when he helped the elder Baird in his organization battles.

He made his last political stand for leadership of the Twelfth Ward in 1926 when he supported the candidacy of Sergeant Ray Smith against Commissioner Clay W. Reesman for ward committeeman. Schiller was supporting Congressman Charles A. Wolverton and the late Senator Joseph H. Forsyth in a campaign against former Congressman Francis F. Patterson and State Senator Albert S. Woodruff.

Reesman won and among the first to visit the hospital after learning of the shooting was the city commissioner. Reesman was his latest chief as lights inspector as he was attached to the highway department. Commissioner Frank B. Hanna also visited the hospital.

"In all the years I have known him he has always been an enthusiastic and loyal friend with a good heart for everybody in trouble," Congressman Wolverton said when he learned of Schiller's death.

Schiller was also a familiar figure at the Elks Club, where he was an ardent card player. But after the death of his wife he gave up this pastime, contenting himself with watching the games. He was also a frequent visitor among old friends at the courthouse.

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 3, 1934
William T. Feitz - Sycamore Street - Joseph Leonhardt - Stanley Wirtz - Arthur Colsey - George Ward
Samuel P. Orlando - Gustav Koerner - Emma Heisler - Cornelius Murphy - Thomas Bonelli
Edward Grapatin - Joseph McKenna - Catherine Loughead - Edith Miller - Edna Butler
Joseph "Joey" Powell - Stanley Powell Thomas Cheeseman - Frank T. Lloyd




Detective William Feitz
Arthur Holl - Vernon Jones - Cecelia Spencer - Roy R. Stewart - Frank Adams - Joseph MacDonald
Henry Gorba - Edward McKenna -
Rox Saponare - Edward B. Rogers

Camden Courier-Post * February 21, 1936

Fingerprint Record Of City Jail 'Guests' Ordered by Colsey

All lodgers spending nights in the city jail will be fingerprinted in the future, Police Chief Arthur Colsey announced last night. He explained that this order has been issued to expedite the identification of lodgers in case something happens. A few nights ago a Gloucester man was found dead in the jail and the police were several hours establishing his identity.

Between 20 and 40 men seek shelter these cold nights in the jail, Colsey said. Detective Sergeant Rox Saponare, fingerprint expert, began recording their prints last night. 

Camden Courier-Post * August 11, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - February 8, 1938

Man Held by Police Here is Being Investigated by Federal Bureau

A suspect in the Mattson kidnapping case, arrested last Thursday by Camden police when he applied for a night lodging at police headquarters has a criminal record dating b4ck to 1922, a checkup yesterday revealed.

He is Edward F. Keach, 40, with no home. He was arrested because of his alleged resemblance to the sketched portrait of the suspect wanted for the kidnap-murder In December, 1936, of Charles Mattson, 10-year-old son of a Tacoma, Washington physician.

Sergeant Saponare of the Camden police identification bureau said replies from various police departments showed Keach had served terms in New Jersey and New York prisons for larceny.

Newark police records, Saponare said, reveal that Keach was arrested there on minor charges during 1922 and that he served short terms in jail. He was arrested the following January on a larceny charge in New York and sentenced to serve two to three years in Auburn prison.

February 6, 1925, Keach was arrested on a larceny charge in Newark and sentenced to a two-to-three-year term in state prison at Trenton.

The suspect is being held without bail here pending further investigation by the Federal Bureau of Criminal Identification, where Keach's photograph and, fingerprints were sent by Camden police.

Camden Courier-Post
June 30, 1939

Camden Courier-Post
February 8, 1943

Camden Courier-Post
October 8, 1964

John T. Odorisio - Keith Kauffman
Anthony R. Saponare - Boyd Street 
Anthony C. Saponare - Rocco Saponare
Frank Martelli - Line Street
Louis Martelli - Casper Martelli
Joseph Grace - Pfeiffer Street
Richard Hailey- Kossuth Street
Frank Valora - Pierce Avenue
Francis McHugh - Clinton Street
Charles Taylor - Magnolia Avenue
Anthony Gambone - Myrtle Avenue
George Corson - Penn Street
William Horay - North 2nd Street
Vincent Miller - Greenwood Avenue
John Stinsman - North 22nd Street