Dr. JOHN E.L. VAN SCIVER was born in Camden NJ in 1872 to Isaac and Susannah Van Sciver. After receiving his medical training, he opened a pharmacy and began practicing medicine on Fourth Street in 1896. He married around 1899, and with his wife, Maggie L. Rose Van Sciver, had five children, of whom Granville, Cecil, and Helen grew to majority. Besides his medical practice, he also served on the staff of nearby Cooper Hospital.
By 1920 Dr. Van Sciver had closed the drugstore and had moved his home and practice to 106 Broadway. The family moved to 64 Linden Avenue in Haddonfield NJ in 1923. The doctor continued to practice medicine in Camden until his retirement in 1946.
Dr. John E.L. Van Sciver passed away on June 16, 1950. Survived by his wife and children, he was buried in the family plot at Harleigh Cemetery, where he rests next to his parents, and three of his children..
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE