CHARLES HERMAN ERRICKSON was born in Vineland, New Jersey around 1888 to Herman and Kate Errickson. The family lived in Vineland through the spring of 1900. By the time the 1906 City Directory was being compiled, the Errickson family had moved to Camden, where they took up residence at 279 Walnut Street. Herman Errickson was then working as a shoemaker in a shoe factory. The Erricksons lived at the Walnut Street address into the 1920s. Besides Charles, known as "Charlie", there was younger brother George and four sisters, Lillie, Anna, Mary, and Sadie. The 1910 Census shows Charlie Errickson working as a bartender in a saloon. He married shortly thereafter. The 1914 City Directory shows him and wife Nellie living at 225 Senate Street. When he registered for the draft in June of 1917 Charles Errickson was married and the father of two children. He was then working as a restaurant manager and

 living at 40 Newkirk Place, a small street that ran east from North 3rd Street between Federal and Market Street. When America entered World War I, he was among those who served. 

Charles Errickson was living apart from his wife when the 1919 City Directory was compiled and at the time of the January 1919 Census. Mrs. Nellie Errickson and daughter Catherine were then living at 206 Berkley Street. Charles Errickson was serving in the United States Army. Charles Errickson apparently never reunited with his wife.

By 1924 Charles Errickson had been appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He had returned to 279 Walnut Street and was still at that address in 1927. That year he was promoted to junior captain. The 1929 Camden City Directory shows him living at 327 Chestnut Street. In March of 1932 he was promoted to senior captain.  

At the time of the Census, in April of that year, he was still married, but at that time was renting a room at 574 Royden Street, where a widow, Emma Socwill, let rooms. By 1931 he moved to 579 Line Street, where the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory shows him residing in 1936. 

In September of 1932, Charles Errickson was promoted to Battalion Chief. On January 1, 1945 Charles Errickson was promoted to Deputy Chief.

Just after 10 P.M. on February 20, 1946, a major fire occurred in the S.S. Kresge Department Store at 29-33 Broadway near Federal Street. First arriving units found heavy smoke billowing from the building as second and third alarms were transmitted in quick succession.

Shortly after midnight, a backdraft injured five members as flames raced through the building. Firemen William Reed, Thomas Winstanley, Theodore Guthrie, Thomas McParland and Captain Howell Needham were removed to Cooper Hospital for facial bums; whereupon each member insisted on returning to the fire following treatment. At 12:30 A.M. Deputy Chief Charles Erickson directed the Fire Dispatcher to recall a platoon of off duty members and summon them to the fire. By 2 A.M. the flames had broken through the roof and were visible ten blocks away. As the first floor began to collapse Engine Company 8 was forced into the street as a roaring column of tin vented outward some thirty-five feet over Hudson Street. While the Department was making a major effort on Broadway, another fire broke out at the Camden Foundry Company, Front and Elm Streets, North Camden. Engine Company 11 assisted by off duty members staffing reserve apparatus confined this fire to a section of the building.  

The 1947 City Directory indicates he still resided at 579 Line Street

In July of 1947 Chief Erickson was badly injured fighting a warehouse fire on Kaighn Avenue. He was out of work for 207 days. His retirement began June 3, 1949. After his retirement he moved to Haddon Heights, New Jersey. Chief Erickson he passed away on November 17, 1960 and was buried at Beverly National Cemetery in Beverly, New Jersey.

World War I Draft Card

Camden Post-Telegram * December 30, 1920

Peter B. Carter - Thomas Nicholas - Walter Browning - George B. Wade - William W. Patterson
Francis Ford Patterson Jr. - Charles H. Ellis - David Jester - Joseph Forsyth

Engine Co. 1 - Alfred E. Green - Charles Errickson - Charles W Cooke - Leroy Hatchett

Engine Co. 2 - Howard Landon - John K. Voll - Edgar Ellender - Harold Lohrang - Chester Andrus  Harry G. Layton

Engine Co. 3 - Charles B. Haines - Charles Clements - August HaverkampFrank Kuda - Louis Quinton

Engine Co. 4 - Frank A. Obermann - Walter B. Gray - Albert Raeuber - Fred Schucker - Harry Kleinfelder

Engine Co. 5 - Richard A. Farris - Frank Fennrio

Engine Co. 6 - William H. Reed - Manuel J. Kane Edward Perairia - Thomas Shanahan - Rocco De Varro

"Frank Fennrio" is for the moment a mystery

Engine Co. 7 - August Scholl - Nicholas Romaine - Lawrence H. Mathews

Engine Co. 8 - Samuel Oshushek - Edward C. Crane Adam Mead
Frank Sapp
- William J. Taylor Sr.

Engine Co. 9 - Kennard Naylor
Daniel McSurdy John Mohrfeld

Engine Co. 10 - William Schwartz - Hugh Rementer Harry Greenan - Rocco Abbott

Hose & Chemical Co. 2 - Laurence Newton - Edward Hauser - William Getner

Ladder Co. 1 - Thomas Cunningham 
Leonard Megee

Ladder Co. 2 - John Gaylor - Walter White

Ladder Co. 3  David Ellis - George W. Attison - John Mulligan - David Humphries - Albert Dukes

Tennie G. Hutchison Jr. - Ladder Co. 4 - George A. Quimby

Camden Courier-Post - March 8, 1932

Charles Errickson  - Wallace Phifer - Adam Mead - Herbert Baxter Sr. - Edward Menzies - Engine Co. 8
South 9th Street - Ferry Avenue - Line Street - Atlantic Avenue - Sheridan Street - Liberty Street 
Berwick Street - Yorkship Square - V.I. Chestnut - Marvin Chestnut - Joseph Caputi

Camden Courier-Post
October 14, 1933

Engine Company 11
John Lennox
Robert Wonsetler
Harry Kreher - Edward Kreher
William Harring - Rollo Jones
Walter Mertz - Charles Errickson
William Mountney - Nelson Till
William Getner - John Peterson

Harry Hess
Michael Mungioli
Herman Kreher
John Mohrfeld
Howard Currie

Camden Courier-Post - February 20, 1936


The savings of a widow were saved last night by Battalion Chief Charles Errickson as flames destroyed a photographic studio in her home at 939 Newton Avenue.

Erickson worked his way through dense smoke at the home of Mrs. Carrie C. Perkinpine to get her savings in a small box in a second story bedroom.

Mrs. Perkinpine lived with her son, Leonard J. Farrar, who has been unemployed two years. He was to have started work as a photographer next Monday but all of his equipment, including a camera, were lost in the fire.

I had banked the furnace in the cellar for the night and was reading in the dining room when I heard a crackling noise," Mrs. Perkinpine said. "I opened the cellar door and was nearly overcome by a gust of smoke.

She ran to the home of neighbors across the street and they called the fire department. Four companies responded under Errickson. The fire spread to the photographic studio set up in the cellar by Farrar and destroyed his developing and enlarging equipment as well as the camera. Firemen were unable to account for the origin of the blaze unless sparks from the furnace ignited a pile of rubbish in the cellar. The tire was confined to the cellar although the upper rooms were damaged by smoke.

Three other families were forced to flee their homes because of smoke from the Perkinpine home.


City Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, recovering at her home from an accidental fall in July, is shown signing the Fire Prevention Week proclamation of the Camden County Fire Chiefs Association, with Battalion Chief Charles Erickson, of the city fire department looking on. The above is the first newspaper picture of Mrs. Kobus since the accident.

Camden Courier-Post * October 1936

Camden Courier-Post * March 8, 1937


Eli Hunt
Engine Company 3
Warren Rich
Edward R. MacDowell
Mary Kobus
Charles Errickson
J. Eavenson & Sons soap works
Baker-Flick Co. department store
Engine Company 9

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1938


Charles Errickson - Rollo Jones - Little Ray Smith

Camden Courier-Post * February 12, 1938

A fireman was injured slightly last night when a two-alarm fire damaged the Penn Junk Shop at 1190 Chestnut street.

Hoseman Adam Meade, 41, of 1446 South Fourth Street, attached to Engine Company No. 3. suffered an injured ankle when a fence fell on it 'while he was fighting the blaze. He was taken to West Jersey Hospital where he was treated and released.

The fire, of undetermined origin, started in the single - story frame building owned by Chester Szalanski and had gained good headway in piles of papers and rags before firemen arrived.

The first alarm was turned in at 10:36 p. m. by Alice Saduski, 16, of 1169 Chestnut street, who ran across the snow - covered street in bare feet to pull the fire alarm box.

When Battalion Chief Charles Errickson arrived he ordered the second alarm turned in. No estimate of the loss could be obtained last night.

Camden Courier-Post - February 19, 1938
Haddon Avenue

Camden Courier-Post
 February 19, 1938

Harry Roye - Loyal D. Odhner
Charles B. Crabiel
James W. Burnison
Thomas N. McCarter
Mrs. Rocco Palese
John F. Gilliams
Oliver C. Boileau
Arthur Colsey
Charles Errickson
Rev. James S. Pemberton
Dan McConnell
Leon H. Rose
Laura Moore - Russell E. Nickerson
Elber Reim - Elmer C. Pratt
Mrs. Miriam Lee Early Lippincott
Samuel Brest
Neil F. Deighan
William Atkinson
Roy Lanning - Albert M. Bean
Dr. Leon N. Neulen
George W. Guyer

Camden Courier-Post - February 26, 1938
Charles H. Errickson - John H. Lennox - Mary W. Kobus

Camden Courier-Post
November 16, 1940

Mary Kobus - Edward Tatem - William H. Tatem
Mt. Vernon Street - Charles Errickson
Roland Comerford -
William Comerford
Cramer Street 
Joseph Hooven - North 19th Street
Philip Farrow - Newton Avenue
John Gryickiewicz - North Front Street
Thomas Winstanley - Bailey Street
Anthony Bretschneider - Louis Street
Camden High School
Woodrow Wilson High School

Camden Courier-Post - July 28, 1941

560 Attending Ceremony at John A. Mathis Plant Startled by Blaze

Five hundred persons attending the launching of a net tender at the John H. Mathis Shipbuilding Corporation were startled Saturday when the cry of "fire" was sounded.

The blaze, although slight, was only a few yards from the crowds of employees, their relatives, and yard and Navy officials watching the launching. 

The fire was caused when a large crane dumped hot coals on the railroad tracks, setting fire to the ties and & quantity of oil soaked rags. Employees of the yard watching the ceremonies, rushed to the danger spot and extinguished the flames within a few minutes.

However, due to the proximity of the fire to the ships and its possible danger if it gained headway, the Camden fire department was called.

Battalion Chief Charles Errickson, answering the call, collapsed from ;he heat a few minutes after returning to the fire house. His condition was not considered serious and he declined hospital treatment.

The ship sent down the ways was the net tender, U.S.S. Teak. It was launched three months ahead of schedule and Navy officials had attempted to keep the ship's launching a secret until the fire disclosed the story.

Mrs. E. L. Patch, wife of Captain E. L. Patch, supervising naval construction at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, christened the 160-foot vessel. Later, the hull was towed to Port Richmond where Diesel engines will be installed, before it is commissioned into the Navy. The ship cost $471,000 and is the second tender launched at the yard in recent months.

Two others of similar design are under construction on the ways. The yard also holds contracts for three minesweepers and 10 submarine chasers.

The net tenders are used for laying and repairing nets in harbors as a defense against submarines. The nets also are placed around anchored ships to protect them against torpedoes.

Shipyard employees, as a reward for finishing the ship ahead of schedule, were taken yesterday on a picnic to Seaside Heights, sponsored by the company. Ten chartered buses were provided for transportation.

Click on Image to Enlarge

World War II Draft Card

Camden Courier-Post * February 20, 1946

S.S. Kresge
Camden Foundry
North Front Street
Elm Street
Charles H. Errickson
Walter A. Mertz
William Reed
Thomas McParland
Howell Needham
Theodore N. Guthrie
Engine Company 8
Edward Sheehan
David Visor
John N. Tobin
Mair H. Auerbach
Dr. A.J. Kilberg
Dr. Folkman

Camden Courier-Post * November 18, 1960