Arthur Holl was born in New Jersey in April 17, 1887 to Lewis F. Holl and his wife Willimina. His father and his uncle, George M. Holl, were well known as real estate developers and builders in Camden. Among their properties were a row of buildings on the west side of Broadway between Mickle and Stevens Streets, known as the Holl Block. On his mother's side, uncle G. Rudolph Tenner had a long and distinguished career as a member of the Camden Fire Department. Uncles George A. Tenner and Christian Tenner also served as Camden firemen.

After attending Eckels College of Embalming he apprenticed to John J. Bradley, of Philadelphia. Arthur Holl then worked in Camden with J. Lewis Good & Son for six years. After receiving his undertaking license from the State of New Jersey on October 1, 1908 Arthur Holl opened up a funeral parlor at 539 Berkeley Street, the corner of Broadway and Berkeley Street. He married Anna Gardner Batten, of Blackwood NJ in St. John's Church in Camden on May 18, 1910. Besides his funeral business, Arthur Holl also operated a taxi service out of the Broadway and Berkeley Street location in the years before World War I.

When the census was taken in January of 1920, Arthur Holl was living at 1401-01 Princess Avenue in the new and fashionable Parkside section of Camden. Active politically as a Republican, he served as Camden County Coroner from 1919 to 1922. He moved his business to the Parkside address in February of 1924. In that year he was also serving on the Board of Directors of the South Camden Trust bank. 

By 1924 Arthur Holl moved his residence to 125 West End Avenue in Haddonfield NJ. He remained active in Camden County politics, and ran for Surrogate in 1934. His wife, Anna Holl, was also active, and served as a Republican county committeewoman from Haddonfield in the late 1930s, and was active locally in the Girl Scout movement. Arthur Holl again served as Camden County coroner in the early 1940s. By 1947, with son Earl Holl, he had moved to and set up a second funeral home at 15 West End Avenue, Haddonfield. Earl Holl was serving as the Camden County Coroner in 1947. 

In 1956 Arthur Holl consolidated his businesses at the Haddonfield location. The Princess Avenue funeral home was sold to David Berschler. 

By 1973 Arthur Holl had retired. Earl Holl sold the funeral home to longtime employee Blair Murpy, who renamed the business the Holl Murphy Funeral Home. Arthur Holl passed away in Marlton NJ in March of 1980. His son Earl died February 1, 2000.

Eugene Kain acquired the Holl Murphy Funeral Home in 2001, and operates it today as Kain-Murphy Funeral Services Inc.

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 28, 1910
Berkley Street - Arthur H. Holl

Camden Post-Telegram

October 14, 1912

Click on Image to Enlarge

South Jersey A History 1624-1924

ARTHUR HENRY HOLL—After innumerable adversities and tribulations which beset him with such speed and enormity as to amount almost to an avalanche, Arthur Henry Holl, possessed of rare strength, energy and fortitude, emerged from beneath the oppressing weight of his troubles and is today one of the foremost funeral directors of Camden County. Motivated by a profound concern for his city and county, Mr. Holl has been active in civic and political affairs, being affiliated with the Camden County Republican organization, and has been coroner of the county. He is a prominent clubman and is interested in one of Camden's trust companies.

Arthur Henry Holl was born at No. 328 Mount Vernon Street, Camden, April 17, 1887, the son of Lewis Frederick Holl, a Camden contractor and builder and councilman from the Fifth Ward on the Camden City Council, and Willimina (Tenner) Holl, who was born in Germany, August 31, 1844. Lewis Frederick Holl, who was born in Philadelphia, November 11, 1842, died in Camden, December 16, 1919. His wife survives him and resides at Broadway and Berkeley Street, Camden. Their son was educated in the public and high schools of Camden and obtained his embalming training in Eckels College of Embalming, which he attended for three months. His first experience in funeral and embalming work was acquired in the employ of John J. Bradley, of West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Subsequently he was with J. Lewis Good and Son for six years. On October 1, 1908, he was licensed by the State of New Jersey, and in the same year he went into business for himself, opening an establishment at Broadway and Berkeley Street. In February, 1924, he moved to No. 1401 Princess Avenue, where he still maintains his funeral parlors. For a while, following his entrance into business for himself, Mr. Holl found it necessary to work for J. Lewis Good and Son, as he did not obtain sufficient work to keep himself busy.

Mr. Holl is a director of the South Camden Trust Company. From 1919 to 1922 he was coroner of Camden County and previous to that he served for some years in the New Jersey State National Guard. He is a member of the Camden Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of the Parkside Blue Lodge of the Free and Accepted Masons, the Excelsior Consistory, the Crescent Temple of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; the Junior Order United American Mechanics (George B. Roberts Council, Camden), and of the Tavistock Country, and the Collingswood Masonic clubs and the New Jersey Funeral Directors' Association.

Mr. Holl married Anna Gardner Batten, daughter of Benjamin Franklin Batten, South New Jersey district manager for the International Harvester Company, and Sarah (Bennett) Batten, both of Blackwood, New Jersey, in Saint John's Church, Camden, May 18, 1910. They have one son, Earl Batten Holl. The Holls belong to the Haddonfield Methodist Church. Their residence is at No. 125 Kings Highway West, Haddonfield.

Philadelphia Inquirer
November 26, 1919

Regicino Barnetto
Caroline Barnetto
Mary Barnetto
Michael Stellao
Cherry Street
Line Street
Fiore Troncone

William Schregler
Dr. Frank O. Stem
Arthur Holl

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 5, 1921


Former Detective Murry Drops Dead In Street
Tragic End Automatically Halts Probe of His Vice Activities
Leaves Wife and Eight Children- Once Powerful Leader in Third Ward

George Murry, ex-city detective, who resigned from the police department after being charged with promoting vice In the Third and Fifth Wards, was found dead on a doorstep near Locust and Line Streets shortly after nine o'clock last night.

 A death certificate issued by Coroner Holl ascribes Murry's death as due to apoplexy, superinduced by acute indigestion.

Grand Jury Probe Starts

Murry's death came as a tragic aftermath of his exposure as a protector of prostitution and dope selling in the downtown tenderloin, in the role of which he is said to have amassed a snug fortune.

His death automatically puts to an end the proceedings that were begun to present his activities in the tenderloin before the Grand Jury with a view of bringing criminal prosecution.

Murry will be buried Thursday afternoon at Mt. Peace Cemetery, of which he was part owner. Funeral services will be conducted at the home and in the Macedonia Church, 3rd and Spruce Street, at noon.

Neighbors Find Body

Murry was 50 years old. According to his wife, Mrs. Cora J. Murry, former city detective had been suffering for several days with indigestion.

After supper last night, Mrs. Murry said, her husband complained of feeling ill and she gave him a tablespoon of baking soda. He shortly after decided to take a walk in the belief the air might benefit him.

Half an hour later, neighbors came upon his lifeless body across a doorstep on Locust street, between Beckett and Line Streets.

The body was carried to the Murry home, at 649 Locust Street, a few doors away. Two physicians were called. Owing to the storm, the doctors were delayed in reaching the house. Dr. Clement T. Branch, of 721 Walnut Street, the first physician to arrive, said he believed Murry had died as he fell. 

Mother Died 2 Years Ago, Same Hour

 Besides his widow, Murry is survived by eight children, ranging in age from two months to 18 years. Curiously, Murry's mother died exactly two years ago, to the very hour. Murry was colored, although many persons were unaware of his race because of his light complexion. He was a tall, powerful man. He was more than six feet in height and weighed about 230 pounds. His complexion was ruddy and his hair iron gray.

Murry’s death was a passing incident in the tenderloin today. Before he was shorn of his power, which he wielded proudly and with great vigor, his decease might have caused a great flurry.

Murry, in the height of his power, was formidable, and a man whose favor the denizens and habitués of the underworld crave; stripped of that power, he was ignored and deserted as rats would desert a sinking ship

Boss For Many Years

 His loss of power probably worried Murry more than the outcome over the exposure of the criminal phase of the exposure. Murry had been the undisputed political “boss” of the Third and Fifth wards for years. The transition was to great; his fall too disgraceful.

Prosecutor Charles A. Wolverton pointed out today that with Murry dead, the presentation of evidence of vice conditions in the Fifth Ward to the Grand Jury would be dropped for the present and in all probability for good.

The reason is obvious, said Mr. Wolverton. “There’s nobody to convict.”

United States Started Probe

Murry’s downfall was due largely to the activities of attaches of the United States Interdepartmental Social Hygiene Bureau, who investigated vice conditions here at  the request of the Camp Dix military authorities.

Officers of the camp complained many of the men had contracted contagious diseases during visits to the tenderloin in South Camden.

 A series of meetings was held under the auspices of the bureau and a number of women prominent in social welfare work in the city.

With the co-operation of the Federal authorities, the local police began a “cleanup” of the tenderloin. No one was spared. Dope peddlers, prostitutes, bootleggers and gamblers fell in the clutches of the authorities. Questioned, their stories seemed to coincide on one fact- that Murry was the “invisible government” which sanctioned or frowned upon their industry and who had to be “greased” if they wished to ply their trade without molestation or criminal prosecution.

Three Other Members Accused

Three other members of the police department were accused of malfeasance along with Murry. They are Policemen William Draper, Tony Latorre and Ira Hall. The three men were dismissed by the police committee of City Council. Hall, who opposed his dismissal and demanded a trial, was excoriated by the committee and summarily dropped from the department.

Murry resigned form the force declaring that the evidence against him was untrustworthy, having been obtained from dope fiends and “other irresponsible people”. It was understood, however, that he resigned, believing it would put an end to the proceedings. He seemed to worry over the contemplated action by the Grand Jury.

Said He Amassed Wealth

Murry, however, boasted openly he had amassed wealth while he reigned as the “tenderloin boss.”

“I’ve got mine,” he declared only recently. “I’ve got enough to keep me and my family in clover for the rest of our lives. If they let up on me and don’t push this jail thing, I’m willing to lay down.”

In addition, Murry was specifically charged with accepting graft from dope peddlers and with “tipping off” criminals against whom warrants were issued in City Hall.

City Solicitor E.G.C. Bleakly drew up the complaint and charges against the detective. Commenting on the charges when the were first made public, Mr. Bleakly said:

“From the statements I have obtained it would seem this officer has been exerting himself as a protector instead of a detector of crime and criminals. If the facts elicited are true, Detective Murry, instead of protecting the good name and citizens of our city, as he was paid to do, has been accepting pay from the citizens of the underworld to protect them in their evil practices.”

In Department 16 Years

Murry was a member of the police department for 16 years, having been appointed in 1905. He was made a detective in 1913.

Charles A. Wolverton - Arthur H. Holl

JANUARY 30, 1922
Arthur H. Holl - Dr. Clement T. Branch - Dr. James M. Vaughan
Cooper Hospital - Dr. Gamen - Mrs. S.C. Moore
Line Street - Beckett Street - Locust Street

George V. Murry - Joseph Totarella - James Corea
John S. Roberts - Charles A. Wolverton - Arthur H. Holl

Camden Courier-Post * December 1, 1930

Sylvester McGrath - John Cullen - Stanley Janasz
John Makowski - James Murray - Arthur Holl
Dr. Edward Rogers - Gordon Feltz - John Drexel
Lansdowne Avenue

Camden Courier-Post * June 9, 1932

Joseph Hillop - Abe Fuhrman - Broadway - Clifford A. Baldwin - Arthur Holl
Lawrence T. Doran - Jules Derowski - Harry Ireton - Wilfred Dube - Ray Osborne
Joe Bielec - Frank Rock - Tommy Reilly - Alfred Ripka - Louie Frank
Howard Ripka - Frankie Ripka - Lena Hillop - Anna Hillop - John Kelly

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1933


Harry Rusakewicz, 62, resident of the boat house colony at the foot of Jasper street died in West Jersey  Homeopathic Hospital yesterday from injuries received when he was run down by a freight train on the Atlantic City division of the Reading Railroad Sunday night.

Rusakewicz lost one foot and four toes from the other after his foot became clamped in a switch as he attempted to cross the elevated section of the railroad near his home, the police said.

Mr. Rusakewicz, the police said, was returning home after escorting two guests to Broadway and Ferry Avenue. According to railroad officials the spot at which the man met with the accident is not a thoroughfare.

Coroner Arthur H. Holl issued a certificate of accidental death.

Camden Courier-Post - February 8, 1933

Death Just a Job for Coroner,
But He Has His Thrills, Too
Arthur H. Holl Tells Haddonfield Exchange Club His Meanest Task
Is Notifying Relatives; He Must Be Something of a Detective

The story behind the trite news line "a certificate of death was issued by the coroner, was told last night by Coroner Arthur H; Holl. 

Coroner Holl, serving his third term of three years in Camden county, related to members of the Haddonfield Exchange Club, of which he is a member, the trials, tribulations and "pleasures" a coroner finds in his job. The club met in the Evans Restaurant, Kings Highway.

"Of course, it's a morbid business," Holl said, "but like everything else, it is mere routine after you've been on the job a while. There is some compensation in the fact that morbid  curiosity is always satisfied, and that a coroner hardly ever goes without the thrills which accompany his job, ghastly and grisly though they may be.

Must Be Detective

"But the gruesome side is not necessarily the important thing about the job. I've had to become something of a detective, especially in homicide cases."

"Post-mortem finger-printing led to the identification of three racket murder victims last year in the county. 

'Then there are suicides, which may be open-and-shut cases or 'cover-ups' of murders. Then there are cases where a man may die outside his home, or at his work. Was death due to a natural cause while at work, or the result of the work? The coroner is responsible for discovering if the victim's family is to receive compensation, so you can see a coroner's mistake may be a serious one.

I love the responsibility and the job.

Auto Accidents Important

"Another onerous task is that of placing responsibility in fatal automobile accidents where two cars are involved. The investigation must be thorough. 

"Finally, the coroner has a mean duty. That of notifying a family of the death of one of its members. Where the husband has left in the morning, and is killed, nine times out of ten the coroner walks into the home to find only the wife home. He breaks the news, she faints and there is the coroner with a job on his hands. But I have overcome that. Wisely I go get the next-door neighbor first, take her in with me, and then break the news. It saves me lots of embarrassment."

William Strouse, president, presided.

Camden Courier-Post - February 10, 1933

Victim Near Home When Accident Occurs; Driver Held

John A. Ashton, 36, a salesman, of 316 Boyd Street, was injured fatally last night when his automobile and a Public Service bus collided 100 feet from his home. He died in West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital at 8:10 PM, an hour and five minutes after the crash.

The bus was driven by Joseph Clark, 50, of 504 North Fourth street. He was held in $1000 bail for the grand jury on a charge of manslaughter. The crash occurred at Boyd Street and Baird boulevard. According to Policeman Russell Young, on duty at the traffic light at Baird and Admiral Wilson boulevards, a man whose name he did not obtain told him both cars were proceeding on Baird boulevard and that Clark attempted to pass Ashton's car on the right as Ashton turned right into Boyd Street. Ashton's car was forced onto the island separating the two traffic lanes on Baird boulevard. Ashton was thrown to the road.

According to Motorcycle Policeman Thomas Welch, who arrived a moment after the accident, the bus continued a block after hitting the car before it was stopped. Ashton was picked up by Welch, who commandeered an automobile and took him to the hospital. He died of a fractured skull and internal injuries. Coroner Arthur H. Holl issued the death certificate. Lieutenant Nathan Petit, who lives nearby, assisted Welch.

Clark was arrested at the Public Service car barns by Welch and Policeman Stanley Wirtz.

Ashton was employed as a salesman for the W.S. Quinby Coffee Company, Philadelphia. He is survived by a widow, Miriam, and a daughter, Marilyn, one year old. .

Flower Show Chairmen Camden

June 2, 1933

Chairmen of the Haddon Fortnightly’s second annual Spring Flower Show are shown with the prize winning basket of peonies entered by Mrs. William G. Moore. Mrs. Joseph D. Pedlow, left, was vice chair­man, and Mrs. Arthur H. Holl, right, chairman of the show which opened Wednesday and closed last night.

Camden Courier-Post * June 20, 1933


The funeral of Charles J. Fox, 54, vice president of the United Investors Company, Eighth and Penn Streets, who was killed by an automobile Saturday night at Laurel Springs, will be held at 2 p. m., tomorrow at his late home, 410 North Thirty-fourth Street. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery. 

Mr. Fox was fatally injured as he was walking around his car on White Horse pike after he had repaired the gasoline pipe line. Coroner Arthur H. Holl issued a certificate of death due to a fractured skull.

Camden Courier-Post * June 20, 1933


Stricken with a heart attack while at work at the New York Shipyard, John F. Magonagle, 72, of 927 Woodland avenue, died before he could be removed to West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital

Coroner Arthur H. Holl issued the death certificate. Magonagle is survived by his wife, Edith, two sons and a daughter.

Camden Courier-Post * June 22, 1933


Baffled over the cause of the death of a 2-year-old Mt. Ephraim child last night, West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital doctors summoned Coroner 
Arthur H. Holl. 

An autopsy revealed that William B. Draria Jr., of Bell Road and Rudderow Avenue, died of a lineal fracture of the skull. 

The child was taken violently ill late yesterday and the parents summoned a physician. who ordered his removal to the hospital. The child died at 7.30 
p. m. 

Coroner Holl said the child was apparently injured in a fall. The parents said they did not know of the child having fallen recently..

Camden Courier-Post - June 24, 1933
Camden Unit Makes Real Estate Broker Chairman of Advisory Boards

Earl R. Lippincott, real estate broker, has been named chairman of the advisory board of the Camden unit of the Salvation Army, succeeding William D. Sayrs.

Elections of officers for the group were held yesterday following a luncheon meeting at Hotel Walt Whitman. Vice chairmen of the organization include John J. Robinson and Mrs. Arthur J. Casselman.

Other officers include Mrs. Charles A. Wolverton, treasurer, and Miss Elizabeth Magill, secretary.

Members of the executive committee selected the following committees: Woman's committee, Mrs. Arthur H. Holl and Mrs. Wilfred W. Fry; finance committee, Dr. F. William Shafer, William D. Sayrs, Frank C. Propert, Mrs.  Wolverton and Mrs. Holl; property committee, Howard Hemphill, John J. Robin son, Herman E. Hensgen, Arthur J. Casselman and George C. Baker; public relations and publicity, Rev. John Pemberton, Joseph G. Tweedy, Mrs. Mary W. Kobus, Dr. Albert B. Pancoast and Patrick H. Harding; program committee, Dr. James Rodger, Propert, Robinson, Tweedy and John L. Shannon. 

Camden Courier-Post - September 18, 1933


Dazedly Insists He Had No Intention of Shooting Sire
Slain Man Long Was Prominent Figure in Camden Politics

Jacob Schiller, 72, for 45 years a political figure here, is dead, shot by his own son.

The slayer, William Schillcr, 30, a former summer policeman now unemployed, was held over today to the grand jury on a charge of murder. He made no comment whatever during his police court hearing.

A few hours later, young Schiller's wife, Augusta, whom he lad also tried to shoot, was found wandering through the city street, in all hysterical condition.

She had written a note which police believed showed intent to 

commit suicide, and had staggered dazedly through the streets last night. Both in her note and in her incoherent statements to detectives she declared she was to blame for the tragedy.

She said her father-in-law had tried to save her and was killed in the attempt.

 The slaying occurred Saturday night at the elder Schiller's home, 2420 Carman Street. It climaxed an estrangement between young Schiller and his wife, with "Jake" Schiller attempting to reconcile the couple.

Mrs. William Schiller, who had had her husband arrested several months ago, said she believed he had become mentally deranged, but Police Judge Pancoast was informed that an alienist had examined young Schiller in July and pronounced him sane.

Couple Separated

Young Schiller had been living with his father at the Carman Street address, while Mrs. Schiller has been residing with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John I. Green, 409 North Thirty-seventh Street. The cause of the estrangement has no been revealed by police, but it is stated that young Schiller refused to consent to a reconciliation.

"Jake" Schiller was a Republican worker in the Twelfth ward for years, and was at the time or his death inspector of city street lights.

Were Alone it Home

The father and son were at home 9.00 p. m. Saturday night and apparently were quarreling when the young Mrs. Schiller, her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. William Miller and another sister, Mrs. Lottie Bennehler, reached the house.

"Don't come in here," the older Schiller shouted as they started to enter the front sun parlor. But Miller did enter and said young Schiller was clutching a revolver in his right hand. He declared he closed in on his brother-in-law and tried to wrench the revolver from him. Two shots rang out and the father fell to the floor.

Patrolman Joseph Keefe was standing at Twenty-fifth and Federal Streets when two boys ran up and told him there was a shooting at Twenty-fifth and Carman Street. He ran to the scene and said he reached there in time to see young Schiller shooting up the street at his wife.

Keefe said Schiller ran into the house when he saw him. Aided by Miller, Keefe overpowered Schiller and placed an iron claw on his right hand after disarming him.

Jacob Schiller Jr., another son, learning of the shooting, went to his father's home and took him to Cooper Hospital in a passing automobile As he was being taken into the hospital he failed to recognize City Detective Robert Ashenfelter and died five minutes later.

Expresses No Regret

Police Sergeant John Potter joined Keefe and Miller and they took young Schiller to police headquarters.

Keefe said the son expressed no regret at shooting his father.

At about 5 a, m. today, Policeman Keefe was patrolling his "beat" when he passed the Schiller home on Carman Street. He noticed the front door was standing open, and he went inside to investigate.

The officer saw a note on a smoking stand. Picking it up, he read:

"Dear Everybody:

 "Please forgive me ... You have all been so wonderful ... But I couldn't go on to see you all suffer for what is my fault ... Lottie was right ... He killed his father because of insane love for me ... But he didn't. I killed Pop and now am sending Bibs to jail for my weakness.

 "Tell him I love him and ask my poor mother and dad to forgive me. I should have done this long ago and saved everyone all this suffering ... I love Billy and I know he loves me but I am afraid he has been turned against me. But I forgive him for all.


 "Gussie" is Mrs. Schiller.

Finds 'Gussie’ Hysterical

Keefe ran to Federal Street, but could not see Mrs. Schiller.

Meanwhile, Constable Dugan of the Twelfth Ward, saw Mrs. Schiller walking on Federal Street near the Cooper River. She was mumbling to herself and was in a hysterical condition, Dugan said.

Dugan telephoned police headquarters. City Detectives Rox Saponare and Maurice DeNicoli went out Federal Street and took her back with them to detective headquarters. There they sought to quiet her, but she continually sobbed.

"I want to take the blame- if I hadn't gone to Pop's home he would be living now."

"Pop wanted to save me," she said. "and he was shot. I can't eat or sleep. I think I'm going crazy."

Later, she was permitted to return to the home.

Young Schiller had been held in the city jail over the weekend. Today he was taken into police court. He wore no necktie and carried a raincoat over his arm. He was rep resented by counsel, C. Lawrence Gregorio, who said he had been retained "by friends" to act as attorney for the accused man.

City detective Benjamin Simon had signed the complaint in which he charged "on information received” that Schiller did feloniously and with malice aforethought shoot and kill his father.

The complaint was read to him and Gregorio told him not to say any thing, as Judge Pancoast would enter a plea of "not guilty" in his behalf. This was done by the court and Schiller was then held without bail pending grand jury action. He was taken to the county jail.

Declared Sane

After the hearing, Mrs. Etta C. Pfrommer, acting overseer of the poor, told Judge Pancoast that on July 26, Dr. Harry Jarrett, Broadway and Cherry Street, well known alienist, had examined young Schiller and declared him sane. The examination was made on the request of Mrs. Schiller in police court on the previous day. At that time young Schiller had been released by the court in the custody of his father.

County Detective Chief Lawrence T. Doran, who was among the first to question young Schiller Saturday night, said the man did not seem repentant over what he had done. He said Schiller did not give authorities much information. According to Doran, young Schiller declared he had objected frequently to his father that he did not want his wife to come to their home.

"It doesn't seem possible," said young Mrs. Schiller some hours after the tragedy. "It seems as though it was only a dream. I don't seem to remember anything.

"Poor Bill. He must have been crazy. He idolized his father. You can blame this all on the depression. He has been without work since they eliminated summer policemen two years ago. He has been worried as a result of being unable to obtain work. Just recently he started to drink.

"Bill intended to shoot me but his father tried to get the gun away from him and I believe it went off accidentally. Nothing could convince me that Bill would shoot his father in cold blood.

"I went to his father's home last night to try to effect a reconciliation with my husband. He had been drinking."

Registered as Sober

The police docket at headquarters shows Schiller registered as sober. The entry was not made until 2.15 a. m., and the shooting occurred shortly after 9.30 p.m.

Relatives said the father had attempted for months to patch up the marital difficulties of the couple.

Young Schiller had been living lately with his sister, Mrs. Bennehler, 2530 Bank Street and his wife with her parents at 409 North Thirty-seventh Street. He formerly lived at that address with his wife. He was appointed a summer policeman in 1929 and served until they were all dismissed two years ago.

Coroner Holl and Dr. Edward B. Rogers, county physician, yesterday performed an autopsy on the senior Schiller's body and ascertained that death was due to an internal hemorrhage caused by a bullet wound of the upper portion of the abdomen. They said a .32-callbre revolver had been used in the shooting.

Camden Lodge of Elks will hold services tomorrow night at the Schiller home, at which time the body will be on view. The funeral will be private on Wednesday with burial in Evergreen Cemetery.

Judge Pancoast last night recalled that young Schiller was arrested two months ago after he had kept his wife a prisoner on a lot all night. At that time "Jake," as he was affectionately known to his friends, tried to act as a mediator between his son and daughter-in-law.

The young Mrs. Schiller at that time told Pancoast she believed her husband was deranged and asked permission to have him examined by physicians she would name. Pancoast released young Schiller in the custody at his father. The police judge said the examination had apparently not been made as no commitment papers had been sent through his office.

Few political workers were better known that "Jake” Schiller. He was born in Philadelphia and was brought to Camden in early life by his parents, who conducted a saloon near Twenty-third and Federal Streets. East Camden was then the town of Stockton and the scene of Saturday night's shooting was a farm. Schiller recalled to friends that he drove cows through a pasture on which his house now stands.

 He was originally a Democrat but became a Republican through persuasion of the late U. S. Senator David Baird and remained a friend of the former leader for 40 years.

 Schiller had been melancholy over the death of his wife on February 13 last, friends said.

 When his son was arrested he remarked to Pancoast:  What is next?"

Figured In Shaw Case

None was more in the public eye 35 years ago in South Jersey than Schiller. It was the that he figured prominently in one phase of the locally celebrated Shaw murder trial.

It was during the second trial of Eli Shaw for the murder of his mother and grandmother, Mrs. Anna Shaw and Mrs. Emma Zane. They were found shot to death in September, 1897, in their bedroom of their home on Line Street near Third. Detective John Painter had found a revolver hidden in the chimney, one of several points in the circumstantial evidence that resulted in the indictment of Shaw. He was then a widely known young man about town and his arrest caused a big sensation. As time drew near for the trial feeling was intense, for there were adherents for and against the son and grandson, those arguments often grew bitter.

Henry Sidney Scovel, then one of the prominent criminal lawyers of Camden county, was retained to defend Shaw. Scovel was son of James Matlack Scovel, himself one of the leading barristers of this section. When the trial of Shaw was under way the city was astounded when it was charged Scovel had tampered with the jury. It was Schiller who made the charge.

The trial stopped abruptly. Scovel emphatically denied the story of Schiller and demanded vindication. An indictment for embracery was returned and at a trial, which had Camden on the tip toe of expectancy for days, it developed there was absolutely nothing to verify the charge, and Scovel was acquitted. He acted in two subsequent trials of Shaw, the second being a disagreement and the third acquittal for the son and grandson of the slain women.

Schiller, strangely enough, in later years became friendly with Scovel and when the latter was prosecutor from 1905 to 1912, "Jake," as he was familiarly known, was usually to be found in the office at the courthouse. Scovel was then a white haired man of flowery speech and impressive personality who let bygones be bygones.

Long Excise Inspector

For more than 20 years Schiller was inspector of the Excise Commission in Camden. It was during the days when the principal object of the inspector apparently was to keep the saloonmen in line. He was considered pretty good at that job, by no means an unimportant one from the organization viewpoint. It was also during that period the city had its troubles enforcing the Sunday liquor laws. There were those who considered they had enough pull to keep their back or side doors open on the Sabbath to let in their regular thirsty trade. Some succeeded in getting by, but "Jake" had his own troubles in keeping the boys straight and sometimes causing their arrest, although that was not frequent by any means.

His reign as inspector, too, was in the halcyon days of free lunch and schooner beers. Saloonmen themselves were against the lunch idea eventually since it meant too much of a financial burden. Jake kept tabs on the recalcitrants so that the liquor dealers knew who was obeying the order and who was "cutting corners" to get some extra trade.

Schiller was virtually raised with the saloon trade since his father was one of the old time German beer garden owners here, having had a place at Fourth and Line Streets. That was in the days when that section was largely populated by the German, English and Irish families lately come from the motherlands. When he was a boy, Schiller entered the U. S. Navy and served several years. When he came out he went to the old Town of Stockton, now East Camden, where he opened a saloon on Federal Street near Twenty-fourth. At that period, some 45 years ago, Stockton seethed with politics and it was just as natural for a young man to get into the game as it was for a duck to swim. Jake at that period was a Democrat and during the battle in the middle 90's when the West Jersey Traction and the Camden Horse Railway Company were fighting for the rail franchises in the town he was a candidate for council from the old Second Ward. The late Robert Lee was the Republican candidate and won out by the narrow margin of two votes. In later years Schiller became a Republican and was elected a constable.

Never Ran From Scrap

Throughout his career Schiller never quite forgot his training In the navy, particularly with reference to boxing or fighting at the drop of a hat. He was a scrapper in his early years and never ran from a fight. That was just as true in political battles, frequent then around the polls, as in purely personal matters. And Jake would battle for a friend just as readily as for any personal reason. He was usually in the thick of the political fracases of the years when it was the accepted thing to fight at the drop of a hat. But he also had lots of native wit which kept things interesting when he was a frequenter of the prosecutors' office during the Scovel and Wolverton regime's. In late years, with the approach of age, he had tempered his propensity to get into an argument and liked nothing more than to tell of “the good old days" when he helped the elder Baird in his organization battles.

He made his last political stand for leadership of the Twelfth Ward in 1926 when he supported the candidacy of Sergeant Ray Smith against Commissioner Clay W. Reesman for ward committeeman. Schiller was supporting Congressman Charles A. Wolverton and the late Senator Joseph H. Forsyth in a campaign against former Congressman Francis F. Patterson and State Senator Albert S. Woodruff.

Reesman won and among the first to visit the hospital after learning of the shooting was the city commissioner. Reesman was his latest chief as lights inspector as he was attached to the highway department. Commissioner Frank B. Hanna also visited the hospital.

"In all the years I have known him he has always been an enthusiastic and loyal friend with a good heart for everybody in trouble," Congressman Wolverton said when he learned of Schiller's death.

Schiller was also a familiar figure at the Elks Club, where he was an ardent card player. But after the death of his wife he gave up this pastime, contenting himself with watching the games. He was also a frequent visitor among old friends at the courthouse.

Camden Morning Post
October 20, 1933

Elizabeth McCreight
Leon Branch - William Dolan
North Baptist Church
First Presbyterian Church
William K. Huff Sr.
William K. Huff Jr. - Dermot Dollar
State Street - Cooper Street
Linden Street - North 4th Street
Wildwood Avenue
North Camden 


May 1934

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 3, 1934
William T. Feitz - Sycamore Street - Joseph Leonhardt - Stanley Wirtz - Arthur Colsey - George Ward
Samuel P. Orlando - Gustav Koerner - Emma Heisler - Cornelius Murphy - Thomas Bonelli
Edward Grapatin - Joseph McKenna - Catherine Loughead - Edith Miller - Edna Butler
Joseph "Joey" Powell - Stanley Powell Thomas Cheeseman - Frank T. Lloyd




Detective William Feitz
Arthur Holl - Vernon Jones - Cecelia Spencer - Roy R. Stewart - Frank Adams - Joseph MacDonald
Henry Gorba - Edward McKenna -
Rox Saponare - Edward B. Rogers

Camden Courier-Post * February 2, 1938

Jury List Prepared for Coroner's Action in Holdup Fatality

The coroner's inquest to decide the cause of death to Angelos Magalas, Greek chef, who was shot during a card game holdup at 725 Penn Street on January 11, will be held today at 10 a. m.

Coroner Franklin P. Jackson III, of Collingswood, will conduct the inquest and will select his jury of 12 from a list of 15 persons prepared by the office of County Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando.

Detectives already have subpoenaed 20 witnesses for questioning at the inquest, including players who were the victims in the holdup and three Camden physicians who attended Magalas prior to his death.

The witnesses will include Samuel and Mabel Ermilios, tenants of the Penn Street house where the holdup occurred; George and Annette Mastros, who room at the house; Samuel Bosco, Broadway barber; George Summers, Ross Pantel, Michael D' Andrea. and William Caras, who according to police were participants in the card game.

All of the men were held as material witnesses in the shooting when arraigned today before Police Judge Gene R. Mariano.

Doctors to Testify

Other witnesses will include Dr. Paul Mecray, Dr. A. S. Ross and Dr. Edwin R. Ristine and Miss Sophia MacAfee, a Cooper Hospital nurse. Police who will testify include Detectives Thomas Murphy, Harry Kyler and William Boettcher and Patrolmen Richard Powers, Frank Clements, George Nicktern and Sergeant Jack Deith.

The jury will be selected from Guy Clokey, Collingswood; Lawrence Ball, Haddonfield; Howard Friant, Collingswood; Harry Chew, Collingswood; Sig Schoenagle, Camden merchant; Raymond Hanly, real estate broker; Benjamin Brest, Raymond Worrel, John Eby, all of Camden; William H. Lorigan, Merchantville; David B. Robinson, Collingswood; Rev. James Pemberton and John McGowan, of Camden, Earl Jackson, of Collingswood and Morris B. Clark, of Haddonfield.

Coroner Jackson refused to give a certificate of death until the chemical test of Magalas' brain was made by Philadelphia experts. The re suit will not be revealed until the inquest.

Assistant Prosecutor Isaac Eason and County Physician David S. Rhone gave it as their opinion that Malagas died of natural causes rather than, the bullet wound. Coroner Jackson then ordered an inquest to be held.

Police are searching for Frank Luggi, 21, of 322 Penn Street, who they say was one of the holdup bandits and the one who fired the bullet that struck Magalas.

The last coroner's inquest held in Camden county was in 1933, in the death of Thomas Timothy Sullivan, and previous to that none had been held here in 25 years.

Sullivan was 57 years old and lived at 401 State Street. He was employed as a detective by the Pennsylvania Railroad. He was found shot to death in a shack in the rail road yards on August 28, 1933.

At that time, County Physician Edward B. Rogers issued a certificate of death that Sullivan had committed suicide. The decision of the county physician enraged members of Sullivan's family and they demanded an inquest.

The inquest was ordered by then Coroner Arthur H. Holl, who presided. All the evidence in the case was presented to the jury of 12 men, and after deliberating for less than an hour, they returned a verdict that Sullivan had been murdered by persons unknown.

Under state law, the county physician may order an inquest; with 12 persons on the jury of the coroner's choosing. The jurymen may be taken from the present panel of the petit jury or be picked at ran dom. The Grand Jury does not have to indict on the basis of the inquest. At the inquest Coroner Jackson will be assisted by attaches of the prosecutor's office.

Malagas, the father of three children, lived at 1110 Langham Avenue. He was shot when several armed bandits held up a card game and he died several days later.

Camden Courier-Post - February 11, 1938

National Scout To Speak Here at Special Meeting

Miss Elizabeth Mundie, of New York City, will be the guest of the Camden County Council of Girl Scouts at a .special meeting to be held on Monday next, in the Scout headquarters, room 418, City Hall.

Miss Mundie is a member of the national executive staff of the Girl Scouts of America and will speak at 1030 o'clock. She will also conduct a round table on council and committee training including, finance, publicity, badges and awards, camps, training and personnel.

Simultaneously with the special meeting a round table on training will be conducted at the South Jersey Law School by Miss Eunice Prien.

Mrs. Holmes F. Gravatt, of this city, is commissioner of the county Girl Scouts; Mrs. William A. Baird, Mrs. Clarence Bennett, and Mrs. Arthur Holl, deputy commissioners; Mrs. Derwood J. Tew, treasurer and Mrs. Charles D. Taylor, secretary.

Camden Courier-Post - February 11, 1938

Girl Scout Council Elects Officers; Outlines Budget

Report of the annual meeting of the Camden County Council of Girl Scouts, just issued, announces the re-election of officers. Mrs. Holmes F. Gravatt, of this city, will again serve as commissioner for the county; Mrs. William Baird and Mrs. Clarence Bennett of this city, and Mrs. Arthur Holl, of Haddonfleld, as deputy commissioners; Mrs. Derwood J. Tew, of Haddonfield, as treasurer and Mrs. Charles D. Taylor, of Merchantville, as secretary. Miss Mildred K. Downs, of this city, is the executive director, with headquarters, Room 418, City Hall.

Outlining the 1938 budget, the council estimates a total expenditure of $3500 for the ensuing year which has been itemized as follows: Office— $519.50; personnel committee—$50; badges and awards—$15; camp committee—$100; finance committee—$200; salary and travel —$1500; National Charter and quota fee—$265; promotion and education—$500 and miscellaneous —$250.

Standing committees for the year have been named by Mrs. Gravatt as follows: Training and Personnel —Mrs. Baird, Mrs. Max Dinse, Mrs. H. A. Parker, Mrs. Floyd Crispen, Mrs. Mae Whatmough, Mrs. John Barnes; Badges and Awards—Mrs. Alvin Moock, Mrs. Elwood Davis, Mrs. Raymond Baker, Mrs. William Congdon, Mrs. M. L. Lehman, Mrs. Nancy Prummer, Mrs. H. M. Hunsberger; Camp—Mrs. Joseph DuRand, Mrs. Tew, Miss Edith Reighter, Miss Margaret Simpson, Mrs. Stewart Barnett, Miss Martha Walklett; Public Relations—Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. John Gilliams, Mrs. Ellis McKane, Mrs. Arthur Prowathain, Mrs. Percy Redfield, Mrs. Madeline Bossle; Finance and Social Events—Mrs. Holl, Mrs. Clifford Bachman, Mrs. Frank Somers, Mrs. Tew, Harold Olsen, Matthew Vanistendal and George Koch..

Camden Courier-Post * February 18, 1938
Committee Goes in Huddle on 'King Successor-Comes Out With Headache


There isn't a whole lot of patronage available for the Camden county Republicans these' days, but they're fighting like cats about it, anyway.

Wednesday was Headache Day for the G. O. P. patronage committee. The committee met for the purpose of picking a successor to William A. E. King on the county elections board. The net result was plenty of names, plenty of arguments, no successor. 

Among those there at various times were David Baird, County Clerk Leslie H. Ewing. Mrs. Florence Baker, Louis Bantivoglio, Frank Middleton, Mrs. Margaret Wermuth, Mrs. Mary Tegge, Mrs. Anna Holl, Assemblymen Lawrence Ellis and Millard Allen. Other members of the committee, such as Congressman Charles A. Wolverton, Senator Albert E. Burling and Assemblyman Rocco Palese, could not get there. Surrogate Frank B. Hanna could get there and did at 3 p. m., when the meeting was supposed to start. But he left at 3.35 p. m. before the session had got under way. 

A Baird Order 

It was reported that the meeting broke up with the general idea that Meyer L. Sakin, local attorney, would be recommended for the job. This, however, was decidedly not a unanimous opinion and, according to some quarters, not even a majority decision. It would be more proper to characterize it as a Baird order. 

It was rumored that Mrs. Tegge, Mrs. Wermuth and Mrs. Holl opened the hostilities by suggesting that King be allowed to succeed himself. But Dr. Ewing and Mrs. Baker vetoed this-rather enthusiastically. 

Then Mrs. Holl, it is understood, was asked whether she would support George Walton, a fellow townsman from Haddonfield, but she refused. It is reported that Hanna has suggested Walton for the post and that Dr. Ewing and Mrs. Baker are willing to support Walton. 

The real fireworks began when William Lehman, manager of the county Republican headquarters, declared that Baird had promised him that none other than William Lehman was going to get the job. It appears that Lehman will soon be in need of the job, as the county committee is now voting on whether to discontinue maintaining the headquarters and Lehman. 

Lehman Let Down? 

But it appears that Baird didn't t put up much of a fight Wednesday in Lehman's behalf. So another net, result of the meeting is that Baird and Lehman were walking s on opposite sides of the street yesterday. 

Hanna was asked yesterday whether Sakin had been recommended. 

"Yes, I understand they went a on record for Sakin, but I don't know that officially," asserted the state committeeman. "I got there at 3 o'clock, but nobody wanted to start things. It looked like they were just waiting for Dave Baird to come and tell them what to do. I had some legal papers to get out so I had to leave." 

Another report being circulated yesterday was that Baird wants to put Lehman in the job held by Harry F. Ecky, First ward Republican. Ecky is a registrar for the county election board. His was one of the most popular appointments made in recent years, by the Republicans. Both he and Victor Scharle, Democratic registrar, are not only popular but their work has been universally recognized a extremely efficient. ..

Camden Courier-Post * July 24, 1941
David Baird Jr.
John R. Di Mona
F. Stanley Bleakly
George E. Brunner
William Myers
Frederick von Nieda
Louis Bantivoglio
William H. Heiser
Raymond G. Price
Arthur H. Holl
Stanley Ciechanowski
Ventorino Francesconi

Frank C. Schramm - Benjamin H. Slemmer
Albert E. Pugh - V. Claude Palmer
Samuel C. Berry - May Rich
Lillian Shoemaker - Charles Wilhelm
Laura B. Bilson - James Kershaw
George H. Walton
Alfred & Elsie Geister


1401-03 Princess Avenue - March 2003

Click on Images to Enlarge