ALFRED GREEN was born January 31, 1895 in Philadelphia PA. He received his training in architecture at the Beaux Arts Institute of Design in Philadelphia, probably through the T-Square Club. By 1917 he is listed in the Philadelphia city directories as an architect. Green was registered to practice in Pennsylvania in 1922 and in New Jersey in 1923. He joined the national AIA in 1944 and was also a member of its New Jersey Chapter. While in New Jersey, he also served as president of the New Jersey Board of Architects.
In December of 1923 Alfred Green partnered with Byron Edwards in an architectural firm, known as Edwards & Green, in Philadelphia. In 1928 Edwards & Green moved their offices to Camden. During the first years in Camden Alfred Green supervised construction at the Camden County Courthouse.
Among the buildings that Edwards & Green were responsible were the Chalcar apartments at 218-222 Cooper Street, the Talmud Torah building at 621 Kaighn Avenue, a commercial building at 548 Federal Street, the original Camden Convention Hall, and the John W. Mickle School Annex at South 6th and Van Hook Streets. This building is still in use in 2007, as the Creative Arts High School.
Alfred Green was registered as an architect in Pennsylvania in 1922 and in New Jersey in 1923. He joined the national American Institute of Architects in 1944 and was also a member of its New Jersey chapter. While in New Jersey, he also served as president of the New Jersey Board of Architects.
Alfred Green's last years were spent as a resident of Baltimore MD. He passed away on August 16, 1978.
|South Jersey, A History 1624-1924|
ALFRED GREEN was born In Philadelphia, on January 31, 1895, son of William and Sarah Alice ( Drake) Green. His father was born in Birmingham, England, in 1865, and came to this country when five years of age, where in the years that followed he became a textile manufacturer.
Alfred Green graduated with the class of 1912 from the "Northeast Manual Training High School, Philadelphia, and continued his studies in architecture under the direction of the Societe des Beaux Arts at the "T" Square Club, Philadelphia, and School of Industrial Art, Philadelphia. He had been following his profession for some years when the World War called him from the drawing table to take charge, as a civilian, of civilian labor and construction-work in the Navy Department, Bureau of Yards and Docks, at New London, Connecticut. He was released from service in, March, 1919. Before his war work, he had been associated with Sauer & Hahn, and Stuckert & Company, of Philadelphia, and Meanor & Sweeney, of Huntingdon, West Virginia. Returning to his chosen profession after his sojourn in New London, he became associated with Ballinger & Perrot, of Philadelphia, and then with Andrew J. Sauer & Company, as a member of the firm, a connection which he severed in March, 1923. The remainder of that year he spent in the offices of Frank R. Watson, Philadelphia, becoming the partner of Byron H. Edwards on January 1, 1924.
The firm of Edwards & Green have made an enviable record since they opened their offices in Camden and Philadelphia, both partners being registerd architects in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Their work includes the Cape May Court House and Jail Building, Cape May Court House, New Jersey; Delaware Township School, No. 3, Delaware Township, Camden County, New Jersey; addition to the Joseph Hinchman School, same township; Convention and Exhibition halls. Civic Center, Camden, New Jersey; Chalcar Apartment Building, Camden; theatre and pier, Wildwood, New Jersey; sub-post office, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Camden and Moorestown, New Jersey; Hotel Philip Baker, Wildwood, New Jersey (three hundred rooms); store and office building, No. 548 Federal Street, Camden; Community Building and Natatorium, Washington, Disttrict of Columbia; John W. Mickle School Annex, south-west corner Sixth and Van Hook Streets, Camden, for the Camden Board of Education; Washington Swimming Club, Washington, District of Columbia; schools at Mt. Ephraim, Bellmawr, Runnemede and Lawnside for the Center Township Board of Education, Center Township, Camden County, New Jersey.
Mr. Green is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Wildwood Board of Trade, and the "T" Square Club of Philadelphia. Fraternally he is a member of the Camden Lodge 111, Loyal Order of Moose; the Benovelent and Protective Order of Elks, of Philadelphia, and the Collingswood Lodge, No 210, Free and Accepted Masons.
Alfred Green married, on March 26, 1921 Beulah Wilson Tatem, of Collingswood; where they now make their hone. They have one daughter, Phyllis Katherine, who was born on December 28, 1923.
Chapel & Woodland Avenues
Click on Image to Enlarge
Photographs date from the mid 1920s; Drawing was published in September of 1925.
Click on Image to Enlarge
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE