F. Reed, was born in Camden in December of 1854 to Isaac and
Hannah Reed. The family included an older brother, Albert Reed.
His father worked as a storekeeper. Isaac and Hannah Reed were
founding members of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church. George
Reeser Prowell wrote of this in his History of Camden County, New
Jersey which was published in 1886.
the house of Charles Sloan a meeting of Methodists was held on
April 8, 1848, where, with Mr. Sloan as chairman and David
Duffield, Jr., secretary, the Berkley Street Sabbath school of the
Methodist Episcopal Church of Camden, N. J., was organized.
Charles Sloan, David Duffield, Jr., Thomas L. Smith, Philander C.
A. Hammell, Levi C. Phifer, Wm. Few, John Newton, Richard J.
Sharp, I. B. Reed, John B. Thompson, Elizabeth Middleton, Susan H.
Scott, Mary Adams, Harriet Davis, Mary Brooks, Hannah Souder, Mary
Dunn and Sarah Cheeseman volunteered to become teachers. Chas.
Sloan was elected superintendent. A lot was purchased and a
schoolhouse built, which was dedicated April 15, 1849,. by Rev.
Dr. Bartine. The school then had twelve teachers
and sixty-three scholars, which two years later was increased to
one hundred and one scholars. A request was sent to Rev. Charles
H. Whitecar, pastor of Third
Street Methodist Episcopal Church, to form a class, of which
Isaac B. Reed was appointed leader, and the other members were
Hannah Chambers, Abigail Bishop, Wm. Wood, Furman Sheldon,
Priscilla Sheldon, Achsa Sutton, Mary Sutton, Mary Brooks,
Elizabeth Bender, Ruthanna Bender, Charlotte Wilkinson, William
Patterson, Sister Patterson, Sister Severns, Rebecca Thompson,
Elizabeth McIntyre, Hannah A. Reed, Danie Stephenson, Rachel
Stephenson, Susan Thomas, Samuel Severns, Mary E. Maguire and William.
Few. At a meeting held in the Sunday school room on Berkley
Street, March 10, 1854, and at a subsequent meeting, May 9th,
a church society was organized largely from members of the class
above mentioned. Rev. Ralph S. Arndt was the first pastor. Forty
certificates of membership were received, and John Lee, Isaac B.
Reed and Conklin Mayhew were appointed class-leaders.
first board of stewards was composed of John C. Clopper, Walter
Rink, John M. Pascall and Logan
Alcott. May 30, 1854, the board of trustees elected were
Daniel Bishop, S. S. Cain, Wm. Severns, Conklin Mayhew, Furman
Alcott and T. H. Stephens. At the same meeting the name
of "Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church of Camden, N.
J.," was selected to designate the new society. Rev. J. H.
Knowles was pastor from May, 1855, to the end of the pastoral year
and part of next year, which was finished by Rev. J. J. Hanley,
who remained to May, 1858. In February, 1856, John S. Newton, who
afterwards lost his life with the unfortunates in the " New
Jersey" steamboat, was appointed leader of a class of young
converts. The trustees purchased the property corner of Broadway
Street, in 1854, subject to a claim, and on November 14, 1854,
they bought an adjoining lot. The basement of the church was
dedicated December 25, 1855, by Bishop Scott, and the main
audience-room dedicated January 29,1857, by Bishop Janes.
Reed passed away prior to the enumeration of the 1870 Census. The
family was then living in Camden's Middle Ward, where they had
been in the years before the Civil war, most likely on the
northwest corner of North 5th and Berkley Streets. The house
numbers on this corner are 461 and 463 Berkley Street, and the
Reeds occupied both as late as 1887.
stated above, William F. Reed was appointed to the Camden Fire
department in May of 1874. He married in 1878. The 1880 Census
shows the couple, along with his mother Hannah A. Reed and aunt
Mary Few at 461 Berkley Street. In 1883 he was involved with the
printing and publication of the Temperance Gazette out of 461
Berkley Street, and in 1888 his mother ran a confectionary out of
that address. The Reeds are not listed in the 1890-1891 City
Directories or subsequent editions. William and Jennie Reed moved
to Washington D.C. during the 1890s, where he found employment as
a printer with the United States government. The Reeds were still
in Washington at the time of the 1910 Census. They are not listed
in the 1920 Census.