WILLIAM ANDREW HUNTER WHITE was born in March of 1837 in Philadelphia.  His middle names are for his grandfather Andrew Hunter. He was in school until at least the age of 13, by this time his family had moved to Camden N.J. circa 1848. The 1850 Camden NJ city directory shows Joseph White, moulder, living on Market Street north of Eight Street. 8th. The 1853 directory shows Joseph White, moulder, at Pine north of Broadway. By 1855 Joseph White  is no longer listed in the directories. 

The following 1850 Federal census information has been found:

1850 Camden NJ, North Ward, Dwelling # 265




White, Joseph  47 iron moulder Ireland
Margaret 30 Delaware
Isabella. 16 at school Delaware
William  13 at school Pennsylvania
Joseph 11 at school Pennsylvania
George  10 at school Pennsylvania
James 4 Pennsylvania
Jonas 2

The 1860 Camden census lists the  following information:60 Camden census lists the  following information:

1860 Camden NJ, South Ward, Dwelling # 375



White, William  24 Pennsylvania
Henrietta 20 Pennsylvania
William 1-1/2 New Jersey
George  20 New Jersey

This shows Joseph's son William and his new family including his brother George. William had married Henrietta S. Wible on Jan 2, 1858 in Camden N.J. She is the daughter of Robert and Henrietta S. Wible of Camden.

The 1870 Camden census shows the following:

1850 Camden NJ, South Ward, Dwelling # 383

Age  Relation  Work  Birthplace
White, William 33 head iron moulder Pennsylvania
Henrietta 27 wife keep house Pennsylvania
William W. 11 son New Jersey
Isabella H. 9 daughter New Jersey
Madgie 7 daughter New Jersey

HENRIETTA’s parents are listed only seven homes away in the order of the census.

The 1870 Camden census shows the following:

Camden 2nd Precinct, 5th ward - Census Dwelling # 170 - 342 Walnut St.


Age Relation Work Self Father Mother
White, William 41 Self Moulder PA Ireland Ireland
Henrietta 36 Wife PA PA NJ
William 21 Son huckster NJ PA PA
Isabel 19 Daughter NJ PA PA
Madge 17 Daughter NJ PA PA
Joseph 4 Son NJ PA PA
Lillie 2 Daughter Cholera, Infirm NJ PA PA
Harry 4 Grandson NJ PA PA

A final daughter, Ola May White, was born to William and Henrietta White in 1880.

William A.H. White worked as a moulder for many years at the Camden Iron Works, which also was known at various times as the R..D. Wood Company and the Jesse W. Starr Iron Works. He also was  active as a volunteer fireman with the Shiffler Hose Company, and was also quite active politically, as a member of the Fifth Ward Republican Club. When on September 2, 1869 City Council enacted a municipal ordinance creating a paid fire department, William A.H. White became one of the Camden Fire Department's original members. 

William A.H. White was assigned as an "extra man" with Engine Company 1 when the Camden Fire Department entered service on December 7, 1869. Although he generally worked as a moulder, Camden Fire Department records indicate that prior to entering the fire department he had worked as a wharf builder. He was living at 905 South 4th Street when he joined the department in the fall of 1869. 

The September 1869 ordinance provided for the annual appointment of five Fire Commissioners, one Chief Marshal (Chief of Department) and two Assistant Marshals. The City was also divided into two fire districts. The boundary line ran east and west, starting at Bridge Avenue and following the tracks of the Camden and Amboy Railroad to the city limits. District 1 was south of this line and District 2 was north. The commissioners also appointed the firemen who were scheduled to work six 24 hour tours per week. William Abels, from the Weccacoe Hose Company No. 2 was appointed Chief Marshal with William J. Mines, from the Independence Fire Company No. 3 as Assistant Marshal for the 1st District, and William H. Shearman as the Assistant Marshal for the 2nd District. Abels had served with the volunteer fire departments of Philadelphia, Mobile, Alabama and Camden for sixteen years prior to his appointment as Chief of the paid force.

On November 10, 1869 City Council purchased the Independence Firehouse, the three-story brick building at 409 Pine Street, for $4500. The building was designated to serve as quarters for Engine Company 1 and the 1st District. On October 29, 1869 City Council authorized construction of a two-story brick building on the northwest corner of Fifth and Arch Streets as quarters for the 2nd District. On November 25th the Fire Commissioners signed a contract with M.N. Dubois in the amount of $3100 to erect this structure. The 2nd District would share these quarters with Engine Company 2 and the Hook & Ladder Company and the facility would also serve as department headquarters for the new paid force. The original contract remains part of the Camden County Historical Society collection. 

Engine Company 2 with 1869 Silsby Hose Cart. Photo Circa 1890. Note badges upon derby hats worn by Fire Fighters.  

Two Amoskeag second class, double pump, straight frame steam engines were purchased at a cost of $4250 each. Two Silsby two wheel hose carts, each of which carried 1000 feet of hose, were another $550 each and the hook & ladder, built by Schanz and Brother of Philadelphia was $900. Each engine company received a steam engine and hose cart. Amoskeag serial #318 went to Engine Company 1, and serial #319 to Engine Company 2. The Fire Commission also secured the services of the Weccacoe and Independence steamers in case of fire prior to delivery of the new apparatus. Alfred McCully of Camden made the harnesses for the horses. Camden's Twoes & Jones made the overcoats for the new firemen and a Mr. Morley, also of Camden, supplied the caps and belts which were manufactured by the Migeod Company of Philadelphia. The new members were also issued badges.

This is the earliest known photo of fire headquarters on the northwest corner of Fifth and Arch Streets. Originally built in 1869, the building shows signs of wear some twenty years later. Note the weathervane shaped like a fireman's speaking trumpet atop the tower. Also, the fire alarm bell is pictured to the left of the telegraph pole above the rooftop. The bell was removed from the building once the fire alarm telegraph system was expanded and in good working order.  


This maker's plate once was attached to a harness made by A. McCully & Sons, 22 Market Street, Camden, New Jersey. This firm provided the first harnesses for the paid fire department in 1869.  

Badges worn by the marshals, engineers, stokers and engine drivers bore the initial letter of their respective positions and their district number. The tillerman and his driver used the number "3" to accompany their initial letter. The extra men of the 1st District were assigned badges 1-10; 2nd District badges were numbered 11-20 and the extra men of the hook & ladder wore numbers 21-30.

Although the Fire Commission intended to begin operation of the paid department on November 20, 1869, the companies did not actually enter service until December 7th at 6 P.M. because the new apparatus and buildings were not ready. The new apparatus was not tried (tested) until December 9th.

The new members of Engine Company 1 were:            

Engine Company 1

George Rudolph Tenner, Engineer; William H. Clark, Driver;
Thomas McLaughlin, Stoker

Extra Men (call members)

Thomas Allibone           

Badge #1

William Deith               

Badge #2

George Horneff  

Badge #3

John J. Brown        

Badge #4

William A.H. White            

Badge #5

James Sutton

Badge #6

Cornelius M. Brown    

Badge #7

Alexander Peacock    

Badge #8

Samuel Buzine 

Badge #9

Jesse Chew 

Badge #10

The first style of breast badge worn by members of the career department in the City of Camden. 1869. (Courtesy of the C.C.H.S. Collection).


William A.H White resigned from service with the Camden Fire Department on April 18, 1871.

The 1872 City Directory states that he lived at 307 Spruce Street and was then a member of the Camden Police Department. 

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 23, 1872

William A.H. White later ran a hotel at the American Mechanics Hall at South 4th and Spruce Streets before returning to work as a moulder.

From 1880 through 1899 William A.H. White lived at 342 Walnut Street. During his years on Walnut Street, his neighbor across the street at 337 was well-known blacksmith Thomas Daley. Daley's son Thomas J. Daley served as Camden's city engineer for many years.

Henrietta Wible White died at home (342 Walnut Street) on December 25, 1899 at the age of 58 years & 11 months and is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery family plot (sect L, lot 147). This was just two years after her mother Henrietta Richardson Wible had died.

The 1900 Census shows him living with his daughter Isabella and her husband Joseph Farley at 936 St. John Street. In the 1900 Camden census, WIilliam A.H. White is shown living as a “boarder” with his daughter Bella, her husband Joseph Farley and their two children at 935 St. John Street. William is listed as an iron moulder but that he was unemployed for the past 4 years, probably due to a stroke that had crippled him.

When he passed away he was living with another daughter, probably Madge, in Almonesson, New Jersey. He died March 9, 1907 of apoplexy at the age of 70 and is buried in the Old Evergreen Cemetery family plot (sect L, lot 147 ). Their grave stones bare only the inscriptions "Father" 1837-1907 and "Mother" 1841-1899. William A.H. White's obituary appeared on the front page of a Camden newspaper with bold title giving statement to his stature in the community.

March 1907

Former Camden Politician Expires Suddenly At Daughter's Home.

William H. White, aged 70 years, one of the best known men down town, died on Saturday at the residence of his daughter at Almonesson, N.J. where he had been living for about five months.

About three years ago Mr. White was stricken with paralysis of the left side rendering his arm and leg helpless. He had finished eating his supper about twenty minutes, when he suddenly lifted both arms above his head, rose from his chair and fell back dead. A physician who was summoned said that death was undoubtedly due to another stroke of paralysis.

The funeral will take place on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the residence of his daughter Mrs. Joseph Farley, 834 Carpenter Street. Interment will be private. The remains can be reviewed Tuesday evening.

William H. White was born in Philadelphia and in his early life worked as a moulder for the Jesse W. Starr Iron Works, now the R.D. Wood Iron Works. During the Civil War Mr. White cast a number of bombs and shells for use in that deadly conflict.

For years Mr. White kept a hotel at Mechanics Hall, now Washington Hall, then located in what was known as the South ward. He always took an active part in politics and during the days of George M. Robeson was one of the latter's foremost political friends.

Mr. White served as a policeman under Mayor Gaul and was connected with the Water Department for over twenty years. He was a member of the Fifth Ward Republican Club and Shiffler Hose Company volunteers, both of which organizations and the R. D. Woods Iron Works Employees, will send delegations to the funeral.

When first stricken with paralysis Mr. White was visited by ex-Sheriff Calhoun and several other old-time friends who talked consolingly to him.

"Don't worry about me," was White's invariable reply, " I'll outlive all of you." His prediction came true.-------------------

Children of William A. H. & Henrietta S. White

William Wible White was born in November of 1858 in Camden N.J. He worked in Camden as a salesman for "Clenial Camden" and was a member of "Stanley Company of America Employee's Beneficial Association". William lived at home in 1880 and then on July 17, 1881 he married Wilhemina "Mena" Lack a German immigrant and the daughter of Joseph and Barbara Lack. They were married by the Reverend J.S. Gaskill in Camden. As of the 1900 Camden census, Wilhemina was listed as being the mother of eight children, but only six were still living in June of 1900. He lived at 562 Girard Place in 1900 and at 445 Royden for many years. In 1910 William was listed living at 445 Royden in Camden with eight children and as a widow. He was a salesman for dry goods. In 1920 William is shown living on Spruce Street with Joseph, James, Ola and Madge. William is working as a doorman for a theater and only James is working as a paper hanger.

Whilemina Lack White died Dec 30 1906 at the age of 41 and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery (section L, lot 148 east ½). William White died on May 24, 1935 in Carney’s Point NJ at the age of 76 and is buried2 in the Evergreen Cemetery with his wife and others. The Evergreen Cemtery records indicate that William W. White was the plot owner but that Clement Lowe (of 238 W. Essex Ave, Lansdowne PA) was paying for the Annual Care of the plot between 1942 and 1955.

1.1.1.Walter G. White was born on June 1, 1886. He served in the United States Army during World War I. By 1924 he had been appointed to the Camden Fire Dpeartment. The City Directory for that year shows him married and living at 1213 Atlantic Avenue. The 1927 Directory shows them at 639 Chestnut Street The 1929 Directory has the Whites at 1272 Dayton Street. In 1930 Walter White is listed living at 1245 Dayton Street in Camden with his wife Aimee. Like his grandfather, he also served as a member of the Camden Fire Department, serving with Ladder Company 2, at 619 Kaighn Avenue. He retired sometime during the 1930s. Walter White died on October 5, 1939 and was buried at Calvary Cemetery in what was then Delaware Township (present-day Cherry Hill), New Jersey.

1.1.2.Catherine “Katie” Drew White was born on December 29, 1888. She married Morris Matthews and they lived in California. Catherine died on July 19, 1960 in Burbank CA.

1.1.3.Elizabeth “Lizzie” L White was born about March of 1891. Around 1915 she married Clement H. Lowe (b. circa May 1886 in NJ) As of 1920 and 1930 they lived in Lower Penns Neck, Salem County NJ. As of 1930 she was 37 and did not have any children listed at home. Elizabeth died circa September 28, 1941. She is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery plot with her parents and others.

1.1.4.William White was born on September 29, 1893. He married Ellen Wilson (b. February 14, 1891) As of the 1920 census William and Ellen were living in Camden at 117 Chestnut Street and he was listed as a teamster, wholesale fruit. The 1930 census lists the family living on Hill Street in Mantua Township, Gloucester County. Living with them are Williams widower brother Joseph and Josephs two children Jane and William. William died on January 21, 1957 in Mantua NJ. Ellen died on June 24, 1961.

1.1.5.James White was born about in New Jersey, probably Camden. The 1930 census shows James White living with his sister Ola (Lathrop) in Deptford, Gloucester County, NJ. He is working in the house construction business according to the census.

1.1.6. baby White was born about in New Jersey, probably Camden and appears to have died before the 1900 census.

1.1.7. Ola Mae White was born about March of 1896 in New Jersey, probably Camden. She married Frank Rowland Lathrop circa 1918. The 1930 census shows the family living in Deptford, Gloucester County NJ on Egg Harbor Road. Ola’s brother James is also living with them. Frank is working as a house painter; which is not surprising considering the other White and Rice house painters in the family. Ola Mae died circa January 1, 1958 in Pedricktown and is buried5 in the Evergreen Cemetery. Frank died in 1969 (1960 by cemetery records) in Pedricktown and is buried6 in the Evergreen Cemetery.

1.1.8.Joseph Bontemps White was born on January 13, 1900 in Camden NJ He married Anna M. Wookey circa 1921 Anna Died on February 7, 1929 at the age of 31 and only two days after the birth of their third child while living in Connecticut. The 1930 census shows them living with Joseph’s brother William in Mantua, Gloucester County, NJ. After Joseph moved back to New Jersey, he remarried to C. Guinevere (?) She died on June 20, 1963 in Woodbury. Joseph died on October 12, 1961 in Woodbury.

1.1.9.Madge Rice White was born on January 18, 1903 in Camden NJ. She married Leroy Palmer Sr. (b. July 16, 1897 Camden NJ). The 1930 census shows them living in Lower Penns Neck Township, Salem County NJ; within Pennsville Village. Leroy is listed as a foreman in the Dye Works. Leroy died on November 11, 1949 in Deepwater NJ. Madge died on September 29, 1973 in Salem NJ.

1.1.10.James W. White was born circa 1907 in Camden, NJ

Isabel M. White was born around November of 1860 in Camden N.J. She married Joseph F. Farley sometime about 1884 and they lived in Camden at 935 St. John as of 1904 and at 834 Carpenter Street as of 1907. Joseph was a laborer and had Irish parents. The 1900 census indicates that Isabel “Belle” was the mother of four children, but only two were still living at that time.

1.2.1. Joseph Farley (Jr.) was born around November 1886 in Pennsylvania. A Joseph Farley appears in the 1920 Camden City census living on Tuckahoe Road with his wife Lillian and two daughters, Ruth and Helen. (Ages 11 and 10) 

1.2.2.Lillie Farley was born around December 1893 in New Jersey, probably Camden.

1.2.3.Harry Farley was born circa April 1898 and died circa January 9, 1899 at the age of 9 months. He is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery, section L, lot 147 with his grandparents, WILLIAM and HENRIETTA. 

Madge J. White was born in March of 1865, Camden NJ. She married John J. Rice and they lived in Camden and Almonesson. He was born in 1861 in England of an English father, Patrick Rice, and an Irish mother, Mary McGuire. The 1900 Camden census shows John, Madge, and their two children living at 402 Sycamore Street and John working as a dry goods salesman. He worked as a paperhanger. He also worked as an insurance agent and real estate broker later in life. He may have been a Notary Public and Commissioner of Deeds. In Almonesson they lived on Westville Road (aka Almonesson Road) and had frontage onto Almonesson Lake (see previous discussion). The 1920 federal census8 shows the family living there next to Madge’s brother JOSEPH WHITE and his family. That census also shows that John Rice had come to the country about 1870. John died on September 30, 1926 in Almonesson at the age of 65. The 1930 census shows Madge and her daughter Mary living in the Deptford house on Almonesson Road. Madge died on November 24, 1933. Their children were:

1.3.1.Madge "Maisie" Henrietta Rice was born on March 28, 1886 and died on February August 21, 1966. She never married. She was an artist and worked out of the house. The 1930 census indicates she was a real estate broker and lived at home with her mother in Deptford.

1.3.2.John J. Rice Jr. was born about 1892 and died Aug 29,1928 leaving no children. He was listed as an invalid in the 1920 census. 

John Sr. died Sept 30 1926 and is buried in the Almonesson Episcopal Cemetery which is located in Deptford Township along Delsea Drive north of the Cooper Street intersection. Madge died on November 24, 1933 and is also buried in the Almonesson Episcopal cemetery.


Lillian/Lillie White was born circa September 1878 in New Jersey. She married Frank Longstreth (b. Feb 1879, possibly in Woodbury NJ9) around 1900 when they were listed living with Franks grandmother Emma Kircher at 515 South Third Street in Camden NJ. Frank is listed as a furniture salesman. In 1910 they are living in Camden. In 1920 Lillie and George are living in Millville at 316 Main Street. Lillie is listed as a widow, so her husband Frank had died before June of 1920. In 1930 Lillie is living with her son in Cedar Grove, Dover Township NJ.

They had a son George Longstreth near Monmouth County. The Evergreen Cemetery family plot, (sect L, lot 147) ownership record listed a George J. Longstreth of 197 Peterson Street in Perth Amboy NJ as the funding source for “Annual Care” with payments made from 1947 to 1953. The lot had been purchased by WILLIAM A. White (Lillie’s father) in 1896 apparently when Harry C/G White died, see above.

1.6.1.George J. Longstreth was born circa 1901 in NJ, probably Camden. In 1920 he was listed in the census as working as an apprentice. In 1930 he is listed as an expressman for the railroad.

Ola May White was born c.1880 in Camden and died April 20 1897 in Camden at the age of 17. She is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery family plot, section L, lot 147.