STEPHEN HADAY was born to Ukrainian Catholic parents on September 18, 1891 in what was then Austria-Hungary. The family name was Chadaj, which was anglicized once in America. He came to America in 1908 and settled in Camden's 8th Ward, which had a large population of immigrants of various nationalities from the old Empire. Many were Roman Catholic, and joined the nearby Church of the Sacred Heart at Broadway and Ferry Avenue, or the primarily Polish St. Joseph Church at South 10th and Mechanic Streets. The Ukranian community, however, wanted its own church, and organized St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church on the northwest corner of South 7th and Florence Streets. Stephen Haday was one of the St. Michael's founding members.
First appearing in the 1910 Census as Stefan Chadic, he was boarding at 640 Ferry Avenue, and working for the New York Shipbuilding Corporation. Stephen Haday married at the age of 21. He appears in the 1920 Census with his wife at 665 Ferry Avenue. Spelling being an inexact science... Ukrainians used the Cyrillic alphabet prior to coming to America... the Census taker, George H. Laeffer, listed the family under the name Kolody, names, birthplaces, and ages of the family members indicate their true identity. Stephen Haday was still working as a laborer at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyards. The Hadays also took in boarders to make ends meet, mostly other Ukrainians. Their next-door neighbors at 663 Ferry were the Romaines, an Italian family that would later be involved in the fire works business.
The 1924 Camden City Directory shows an Anthony Haday operating a grocery store at 631 Ferry Avenue. Stephen Haday lived around the corner at 640 Central Avenue with his wife Tatiana "Tessie" Haday and their children. Stephen Haday was then working as a laborer. When the census was taken in 1930, Anthony Haday had moved to Chester PA. Stephen Haday now was in the grocery business at 675 Ferry Avenue, which was also the family home. The family included sons Michael and Nicholas, and daughters Julia, Stephanie, Olga, and Mary. All were born in New Jersey. 675 Ferry Avenue would remain his home and place of business until his passing in June of 1967.
Stephen Haday served as treasurer of St. Michael's for 40 years, and was was secretary of the Providence Association 52 and a member of the Ukrainian Working Men's Association 211, both of Camden.
Camden Courier-Post - June 29, 1967
Stephen Haday Dies; Grocer for 40 Years
Requiem high Mass for Stephen Haday; a Camden grocer for 40 years and former church organizer will be Saturday at 9 a.m., in St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church, Seventh and Florence Streets.
The 75-year-old resident of 675 Ferry Avenue died Tuesday in West Jersey Hospital.
Friends may meet an hour earlier in the Ciechanowski Funeral Home, 1309 S. 10th Street, where a Parastas Service will be tomorrow night. Burial will be in New St. Mary's Cemetery, Bellmawr.
An organizer of St. Michael's Church, he was treasurer for 40 years. The 58-year Camden resident also was secretary of the Providence Association 52 and a member of the Ukrainian Working Men's Association 211, both of Camden.
Surviving are his wife, Tatiana; two sons, Michael of Gloucester and Nicholas or West Collingswood; four daughters, Mrs. Julia Ritter and Mrs. Kay Phillips, both of Pennsauken; Mrs. Stephanie Glembocki of Moorestown and Mrs. Mary Rines of Audubon; three brothers and 18 grandchildren.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE