RAYMOND RENAUD DONGES was born at Donaldson, Schuykill County, Pennsylvania, November 10, 1871, the son of Dr. John W. and Rose M. (Renaud) Donges. Besides Raymond. there were two other brothers, Clarence Donges who, like his father, served as a physician in Camden for many years; and Ralph Waldo Emerson Donges. Raymond Danges studied law under the tutelage of Howard Carrow. Both Raymond and Ralph W.E. Donges went into the legal profession, and had distinguished careers. The brothers began practicing in the 1890s, and had a law firm which at one time also employed Wilbert V. Pike, who was also quite well known in Camden legal circles. 

Raymond R. Donges married around 1911. At the time of the 1930 Census he nad wife Katherine lived at 2 Wellwood Avenue in Merchantville NJ with their children John, Katherine M. and Raymond R. Jr. Mrs. Donges was well known in the 1920s as a person of note within the Democrat Party in Camden County. 

Raymond Renaud Donges passed away on April 8, 1937. 

South Jersey: A History 1624-1924

RAYMOND RENAUD DONGES—In the execution of many important tasks that have fallen to his lot as one of the leading attorneys of Camden, New Jersey, Mr. Donges has found full play for his abilities and activities. His professional work, being extensive and important, has absorbed most of his energies and time, but Mr. Donges has won and held his position of pre-eminence among the lawyers of Camden largely by his ability to master the matters under consideration.

Raymond Renaud Donges was born at Donaldson, Schuykill County, Pennsylvania, November 10, 1871, the son of Dr. John W. and Rose M. (Renaud) Donges. Dr. Donges served during the Civil War and was left on the battle field at Fredericksburg for dead. He had enlisted at Minersville, Pennsylvania, when he was but seventeen years of age, with the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Subsequently he studied medicine and practiced in Camden, retiring in 1900. He is today a member of the Board of Assessors of Camden City.

The son, Raymond Renaud Donges, received his preliminary education in the public schools of Camden, New Jersey, and later was sent to Philadelphia, studying at the Broad Street Academy. He then went to the law department of the University of Pennsylvania and continued the study of law with Judge Howard Carrow, of Camden. He was admitted to the bar as an attorney, at the February term in 1895, and as a counsellor three years afterwards. Since then he has been in active practice, specializing largely in office and consultation practice and as solicitor for a number of building and loan associations. He is concerned largely in banking and investment law, and has acquired his important clientele through his exhaustive knowledge of those branches of the law. Like most successful attorneys his first years of practice were largely of a general nature, leading gradually toward specialization and change from court to consultation practice. In religion, he is affiliated with the Protestant Episcopal Church, and in politics he is a Democrat, although he never aspired to political office. He is a member of the Camden County Democratic Club, and of Trimble Lodge, No. 117 Free and Accepted Masons, and of the Excelsior Consistory, of Camden.

Mr. Donges married, in Philadelphia, in 1909, Katherine A. McTague, daughter of Daniel McTague. Their living children are: John W. Donges, born in 1910; Katherine M. Donges, born in 1914; Raymond R. Donges, Jr., born in 1916. Mrs. Donges is prominent in Democratic politics, being the first woman member of the New Jersey State Committee. She is the present member on that committee from Camden County. She was active in the campaign for a woman's suffrage State amendment in 1915, and also in 1919 when the State ratified the Federal amendment.

Camden Courier-Post - September 21, 1928
Nicholas John Donahoe
Samuel M. Shay
Elizabeth S. Fernan
Raymond R. Donges
John Donahue
Edward Donahue
Carlton Webb
Wilbert V. Pike
Katherine Cavanaugh
Dr. Clarence Donges
Katherine Donges
John W. Donges
Raymond R. Donges Jr.
Mary Hanna
Walter T. Pratt
Charles Derrickson
Lottie Derrickson

Camden Courier-Post - June 12, 1933

Old Centreville Families 
Dr. Donges, Mills, Schepperkittes, Covely and Other Men
Wrought Through Years to Bring Needed Improvements to District


WHEN a larger community annexes an adjoining district the newer area is generally regarded, for a time at least, as a step-child. Older residents of East Camden will bear out that truism when they recall how difficult it was to obtain improvements. Years before, Newton Township which became part of Camden, had had the same experience. Under such circumstances, it requires tireless energy on the part of leading men to get what their district needs. Demands often go unheeded unless the community is fortunate in having those of spirit who insist on street improvements, water extension, lighting facilities and schools. That was more in evidence half a century ago than now, of course, for Camden itself was little more than a large village. 

Down in Centreville there were men who looked after the interests of their constituents, who slowly but surely obtained, improvements and who insisted on being recognized by the powers that be. No one may think of old Centreville without thought of Dr. John W. Donges, whose value to not only that section but Camden at large, has been expatiated upon in these annals. He was not only a leading physician, with a practice extending into Camden, but a leader in many civic movements, and any article on that era would be incomplete without allusion again to the doctor whose services as a real family physician are part of the traditions of many old families. 

Came Here In 1872 

He came here in 1872 from Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, when his health was affected by overwork through loyalty to his patients. He bought the drugstore at Ferry Avenue and Broadway, remaining there for many years. It was there Supreme Court Justice Ralph W. E. Donges spent his boyhood. 

There, too, Dr. Clarence B. Donges and Attorney Raymond Donges were boys. Grant E. Kirk, clerk in his store, later becoming a physician and for several years a member of council and at one time being prominently boomed for mayor, married their sister. Dr. Donges was elected to council in 1878 on the Democratic ticket, itself an evidence of the high regard in which he was held, for the Eighth Ward generally was rock­ribbed Republican. Until the early part of this century he resided in his old place, but later went to Broadway and Clinton Streets. In later years, after he had retired, he was city assessor, "just to keep busy." He died a few years ago, well in his 80s, mourned by a great host of Camdenites.

There was another widely known Centreville family of the old days, that of Samuel Mills, who had his own abattoir at Broadway and Jackson Street, where city-dressed meats were provided before the days of car refrigeration brought supplies from the great packing places in Chicago. His son, Charlie, was long a member of the Board of Education, while another, William, was a city councilman. Edward Milis, another son, was excise commissioner 35 years ago in the days when there was plenty of trouble with Sunday sellers. 

Cornelius Schepperkotter was a factor in politics down that way, too, having a grocery store on Ferry Avenue at Ninth, later moving to the southwest corner when the Charles Sumner School was built. That school was torn down two years ago for the recreation center. Schepperkotter was a member of the old Board of Public Instruction in the late 90's, named by Mayor Cooper B. Hatch. In later years and until his death, he was superintendent of Evergreen Cemetery. He was father of Mrs. Frank S. Albright, wife of City Clerk Albright

Frank Covely 

Shortly after the New York shipyard was opened, there moved to the "Hill" Frank D. L. Covely, who became a joiner and for years was foreman of the joiner shop. He was widely known as a secret society man and also as an effective campaign speaker for the G. O. P. He was a member of the Board of Education. 

He sought to go to council, but that was at the time Kirk was a power in the ward. Covely laughingly used to tell of a meeting all set for him from which all save the colored folk were drawn away through strategy of his party opponents. But for ten years he was a member of the Board of Recreation Commissioners. 

That movement owed much to his work. Nor did he forget his colored friends, for he had a playground established for them at Ferry Avenue and Phillips Street and the large one [Staley Park- PMC] at Seventh and Jefferson streets. Long afterward that was named for another city official, but Covely's friends said it should have been for him, as a monument to his services for the boys and girls of Centreville. He died a few years ago at Bellmawr in his 70s, after a hectic experience as a chicken raiser at Port Norris. 

There, too, was William Dorrell, superintendent of the old "Narrow Guage" who was one of the leading spirits in the paving of Broadway, nearly 60 years ago the big issue of that section. He lived in a house along the railroad still standing, as the hospital and dispensary of the shipyard. 

Mention has been made of the Ferrises, the Helmbolds, the Yeagers, of Squire James D. Chester and Squire F. Joseph Rouh. There was also William O. Thompson, the leading contractor down that way for many years and Theodore Tiedeken, who established the wagon works on Van Hook Street, Martin Ewe, who had the hotel at Broadway and Emerald, and down the street a bit James Croker, who operated Tammany Hall. Forty years ago there was one of the best young athletes of the city, Thomas Nicholas, now retired Camden fire chief. He was down in old No. 3 with Bill Rose, long a fire captain, Bill Miller, Al James, Sam Lodge, Gus Dold and Jim Ware.

Many of these old timers have passed on, but others are still in the flesh but scattered to all parts of the city but it may be said the survivors look back on the days that were down there in Centreville with an interest that does not dim with the passing years.