MICHAEL McCAFFERY was appointed to the Camden Fire Department as an extra man with Engine Company 1 on April 5, 1882. He replaced Joseph Green. Michael McCaffery served with the Fire Department for two years. He was replaced by Wilson Bromley in 1884. 

Michael McCaffery was born  in Camden NJ, at South 2nd Street and Taylor Avenue in May of 1862, according to Census records. He was the son of John and Bridget McCaffery, and was one of at least nine children, coming after James and before Edward, John, Joseph, Patrick, Mary Elizabeth, Catherine, and Charles. His father was one of the early members of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, which later was renamed Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, and was employed in digging the foundations for the church, which is located at Broadway and Market Street


The McCafferys were living in Camden in the 1870s. The 1878 City Directory shows John McCaffery and his family living at 831 Mt. Vernon Street in South Camden, which would be the family home through 1887. The 1880 Census shows that the three oldest McCaffery sons had gone to work in Camden's textile mills. James and Michael worked as weavers, while Edward was then employed as a spinner.

Michael McCaffery married in 1881. The 1882-1883 City Directory and Camden Fire Department records show that he lived at 1111 Sycamore Street and worked as a weaver. This would remain his home through the beginning of 1883. The 1883-1884 Camden City Directory shows that he had moved to 904 Chestnut Street and was worming as a weaver at the Camden Woolen Mills. He was still at that address when the 1884-1885 edition was compiled. The 1887-1888 Directory shows Michael McCaffery at 1109 Sycamore Street. The 1890-1891 City Directory reveals that Michael McCaffery had moved to 815 Carpenter Street, where he remained until 1927.

The 1900 Census shows Michael McCaffery and his wife Anna living with their children John, Thomas, Maria, and Beatrice at the Carpenter Street address. John was then an accountant, while Thomas worked as a butcher. Michael McCaffery was still working as a weaver as late as 1918. By 1924 he was working as a watchman at on of Camden's shipyards.

The 1929 City Directory shows the Michael and Anna McCaffery were living with their daughter Beatrice and her husband Paul Frederick at 732 Pearl Street. Anna McCaffery passed away on June 4, 1940. Michael McCaffrey passed away at his home at 732 Pearl Street on March 31, 1942, at the age of 83. 

Besides being a long standing member of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Michael McCaffrey was for over 60 years a member of the Irish fraternal organization known as the Ancient Order of Hibernians.

Michael McCaffrey's sister, Mary Elizabeth, married Adam T. Davis Jr. in 1895. They operated a saloon at 140 Kaighn Avenue from 1895 to 1900, then opened The Palace, a saloon at 1101 Broadway. Adam. T Davis Jr. died in 1912, his widow apparently operated the business until Prohibition came into effect in 1919.

Philadelphia Inquirer * April 7, 1882

G. Rudolph Tenner
James McCracken
Daniel Bromley - John S. Kelly
Michael McCaffery
James H. Brown - Thomas McKenna
James Shinn - Smith Moore
William Irelan - William Bassett
John Hill - James Read
Robert Miller - William Marsh
George Moffett - John J. Logan
Isaac M. Shreve - Samuel Welsh
Lewis Ferrell - Logan Bates
Isaac Collings - Harry Miles
John W. Elliott - William Turner
Charles Holl - John J. Hibbs
John Seybold - James H. McCann
Edward Swope - William Suders

Camden Courier-Post - April 1, 1942