MAURICE BRIC BOONE was born in Camden, New Jersey on June 5, 1908 to George C. Boone and his wife, the former Clara Clayton. He was the third of four children, all boys, born to the couple. His grandfather was James G. Boone, who had served as a sergeant in the Union Army during the Civil War.

The 1900 census shows that George C. Boone and his younger brother J. Frank Boone were living with their parents at 558 Line Street. Older brother Walter Boone had moved out on his own. Both of the younger Boone sons were then working for the Pennsylvania Railroad, George as a brakeman, J. Frank as a fireman. James G. Boone had died in 1902. George C. Boone married Clara Clayton, of 605 Mt. Vernon Street, around 1903. Her brother, George Clayton, was a well-known baseball player in Camden. By the time the 1906 Camden City Directory was compiled, George C. Boone and his wife and oldest son George L. Boone were living at 630 Mt. Vernon Street. His widowed mother remained on Line Street with her youngest son, J. Frank Boone. Mrs. Achsahann "Annie" Boone died in 1923. 

George C. Boone was still working as a railroad brakeman when the Census was taken on April 19, 1910. He and wife Clara Clayton Boone were living at 630 Mt. Vernon Street with their four sons, George L., 6; Harry, 4; Maurice, 3; and Charles Howard Boone, 1. Maurice was named after Reverend Maurice Bric, who served as pastor of the Roman Catholic Church of Sacred Heart at Broadway and Ferry Avenue from 1888 through 1913.

On July 1, 1910 George C. Boone was appointed to the Camden Fire Department and assigned to Engine Company 7 at 1115 Kaighn Avenue. Sadly, Clara Boone died during the 1910s, leaving her husband to care for the four young boys. George C. Boone had moved in with his wife's family, the Claytons, at 605 Mt. Vernon Street by the time the 1914 City Directory was compiled, and was still living there in September of 1918 when he registered for the draft. 605 Mt. Vernon Street was the home of his widowed mother-in-law, Susan Clayton and two of her adult children, Angela and John. George C. Boone and his three older sons resided at that address when the census was taken in 1920. His sons spent time with different relatives, Harry and and C. Howard Boone went to their Aunt Mary Boone Colgan's home at 1017 South 5th Street while quite young, Maurice spent most of his years with his Aunt Angela, while George spent time with relatives named Gallagher. By 1920, George C. Boone and his three older sons were under one roof, at 605 Mt. Vernon Street, while C. Howard remained with the Colgans on South 5th Street.

George C. Boone was serving with Engine Company 2 when he was injured while fighting a fire on January 19, 1922. Captain Martin Carrigan died in the line of duty of injuries sustained while fighting this fire. Not long afterwards, George C. Boone had remarried.

It turns out that George C. Boone married "the girl next door". Next door, in this case being 1117 Kaighn Avenue, adjacent to Engine Company 7's headquarters. There lived a widow, Laura Wasserman and her daughter Edna. By 1924 George C. Boone and Laura Wasserman had married and soon moved to Parkside, where by 1924 they bought a house at 1013 Princess Avenue. Laura's daughter Edna lived with them, while the Boone sons- George L., Harry, and Maurice B. Boone remained with their aunt Angela and uncle John Clayton at 605 Mt. Vernon Street, and C. Howard Boone on South 5th Street.

Maurice Boone after leaving school to enter the workforce apprenticed as a plumber with his cousin, Francis Colgan, and remained in his employ until 1934. He quit after discovering that his uncle had failed to turn over to the Internal Revenue Service moneys deducted for Social Security. Maurice Boone then went to work for another plumber, Joseph Barnett. Maurice Boone stayed with Barnett for eight years before leaving to take a job with the Public Service Gas and Electric Company as a plumber. Meanwhile, on December 22, 1930 brother George L. Boone was appointed to the Camden Fire Department, joining his father. George C. Boone signed his pension papers on November 22, 1938. Unfortunately, within two weeks he had died, on December 4, 1938. 

In January of 1943 Maurice B. Boone and his step-sister Edna Wasserman, who had been raised not only in separate houses but in separate neighborhoods, wed. Maurice and Edna Boone made their home at 1013 Princess Avenue into the late 1940s. The Boones moved to 2859 Tuckahoe Road in Fairview in 1952.

Maurice Boone was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 13, 1943, assigned Badge #99, and was assigned to Engine Company 8 at 619 Kaighn Avenue. On October 18, 1953 he was made Chief's Aide in the 3rd Fire District. He held this post until July 31, 1961, when given a similar assignment in the 1st Fire District. He was also qualified to serve as Acting Captain but was never permanently assigned in this capacity.

On February 27, 1962 Maurice Boone injured his left ankle while fighting a fire. He returned to work on March 5, but re-injured the ankle on March 10, missing an additional 3 days work.

On August 3, 1965 Maurice Boone was assigned to Ladder Company #1, which then operated out of Fire Headquarters at North 5th and Arch Streets. On August 9, 1967 he injured a thumb while on duty. He broke his left wrist fighting a fire on February 23, 1968.

Maurice Boone was scheduled to retire from the Camden Fire department on February 23, 1970. Before he had a chance to enjoy his retirement, he passed, dying on February 14, 1968. He was survived by his wife, brothers C. Howard and George, and two sons, David and Michael. 

David Boone, son of Maurice and Edna Boone and the grandson of George C. Boone, is a marine artist, known for his paintings of tugboats and waterfront scenes.

Maurice Boone's uncle, George Clayton, was appointed to the Camden Police Department in 1918. He served until his death in 1947, having reached the rank of Captain.

Engine Company 7 was organized on 7-1-1910 at 1115 Kaighns Avenue, South Camden. Pictured with the company's 1910 American LaFrance combination hose and chemical wagon are George C. Boone, driver; & William Buzine, engineer. Driver Edward Simpson is atop the 1902 Metropolitan 2nd class steamer with stoker James Navin standing at the front of the engine. Circa 1911.

Camden Courier-Post * January 4, 1955
Irvin Gibbs - Winfield Leviseur - Maurice Boone - Otto Kaiser - William H. Neale - Nathaniel Jones
Edward Gibbs - Thomas J. Danks - Mary Valentine -  Ladder Company 2 - Engine Company 3
William W. Messenger - Vanessa Gibbs - Dorothy Ann Gibbs - Howard Mac Dougal
Edward Eckman - Charles Van Fossen - South 8th Street

Camden Fire Department Acknowledgement of Badge Receipt

Camden Fire Department

Camden Fire Department

Camden Fire Department

Camden Fire Department

Camden Fire Department

Camden Fire Department

Camden Fire Department