Gaffney Sr.

JOHN FRANCIS GAFFNEY SR. was born in Camden, New Jersey on September 6, 1911 to John J. Gaffney and his wife, the former Sarah Kenny. The 1911 Camden City Directory shows the family residing at 411 North 8th Street, and the 1914 edition has the family at 814 Linden Street. John J. Gaffney was working as a bartender at that time. Sadly, he passed away around 1918, possibly during the flu epidemic. The 1918 City Directory and the 1920 Census shows Mrs. Gaffney and her family living at 423 North 6th Street. Besides John, there was older brother Joseph, 9, and sisters Madeline, 5, and Margaret, 19 months of age. Maternal uncles Thomas and Kieran Kenny, who had come from Ireland in 1910 and 1916 respectively, also lived at the North 6th Street home. Mrs. Gaffney also took in boarders, mostly Irish-born shipyard workers like her brothers, and a Navy recruiter, Norris Stone. Members of the Gaffney extended family still resided at 423 North 6th Street in North Camden as late as 1959, as older brother Joseph had become a dentist and made his home and office at that address. The home was taken during the 1960s to make way for an expansion of the bridge toll plaza. 

Sarah Gaffney remarried in the mid-1920s. Her new husband, Thomas Keough, had been one of her boarders. By 1930 he was working as a mail carrier for the United States Postal Service. 

John F. Gaffney was working when the 1929 City Directory was compiled, as a clerk at one of the nearby American Stores groceries in Camden. 

John F. Gaffney was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 1, 1943. When the 1947 City Directory was compiled John F. Gaffney was making his home with his wife Dorothy and son John Gaffney Jr. at 2708 Concord Avenue in Cramer Hill. By 1956 the family had moved to 78 South Dudley Street in East Camden. On February 24, 1964 John Gaffney Jr. joined his father as a member of the Camden Fire Department. 

John Gaffney Sr. was still working as a firefighter as late as October of 1970. He passed away on May 26, 1976.

Director of Public Safety Edward Garrity presents
Chief of Department
Edward MacDowell with a municipal proclamation
Click on Image to Enlarge

Witnessing, from left: Fireman George Wade, Fireman Harrison MacNeir, Fireman John Gaffney Sr., Fireman James Troutman, Fireman Ernest Tartaglia, Captain Allen Hess, Fireman John Yates, District Chief Harry Wagner (obscured), District Chief Edward Michalak, Fireman Dominick Dalanni, Fireman Howard Lewis, Fireman Henry Keubler

Camden Courier-Post
January 23, 1960

James A. Garfield School


James A. Garfield School - North 29th Street - Cramer Street - Dr. Anthony Catrambone
Winfield Leviseur - Edward R. McDowell - John Gaffney Sr. - Carl Greenwald - North 33rd Street

Camden Courier-Post
April 28, 1962

HEAVY BLACK SMOKE pours from a vacant factory and warehouse building formerly owned by the Fuller Brush Company at 6th Street and Atlantic Avenue this morning as a three alarm lire destroyed the structure. The amount of the loss has not been determined.

Camden Courier-Post * April 28, 1962


John Gaffney Sr. - Robert Thomas - Edward MacDowell - Giant Tiger - Philip Farrow
Donald Fuhrer - Modern Hard Chrome aka SL Surface Technologies
Engine Company 8 - Engine Company 6 - South 6th Street - Atlantic Avenue

Camden Courier-Post  - April 1963

Col. Arthur Bedell - George Baxter - John Gaffney - Austin Marks

Camden Courier-Post
November 19, 1963

Edwin S. Wirtz
John Gaffney
Martin Segal
Jack Belfi


Camden Courier-Post
November 28, 1963

Maurice F. O'Brien
Spencer Smith Jr.
Edwin S. Wirtz
John Moore
John Gaffney
Fairview Court


George Baxter - John Gaffney - Alfred Pierce - Ray Meadows - Parkside - North Camden
Bradley Avenue - Cedar Street - Sycamore Street - Madeline Saracino

John Gaffney at the H.C. Sharp School - 1964

May 1966

John Gaffney at the Yorkship School
on Collings Road in Fairview
contacting the faculty as part of the
Camden Fire Department
Fire Prevention Program

October 1966 - John Gaffney at Cooper Hospital