HENRY "HARRY" FROST was born around 1839 to Andrew and Christiana Frost in what was then the Kingdom of Saxony in present-day Germany. The family name was originally Fraust, and his parents and siblings went by that name into the 1870s. Not long after his birth his parents came to America with him and his older brother William, settling first in Pennsylvania, where a brother, Charles frost, was born around 1843. Two more sons came to the Frost family, Frederick in 1848 and Lewis in 1852, before the family came to New Jersey, where, around 1853 another son, George Frost, was born. When the 1860 Census was taken, the Frost family lived in Camden's South Ward, and another son, Franklin, had recently been born, and Edward would come in May of 1863. Andrew Frost worked as a tailor to support his family. Henry Frost, then 21, was working as a blacksmith, brother William sold cigars, and brother Charles, then 17, was an apprentice at a coach works. 

When the Civil War came, Henry Frost answered his nation's call. On April 24, 1861 Henry Frost enlisted in the Union Army as a Private. He was assigned to Company C, Fourth Infantry Regiment New Jersey on April 27, 1861. 

The Fourth Regiment--Militia, was commanded by Colonel Matthew Miller, Jr., serving under him were Lieutenant Colonel Simpson R. Stroud and Major Robert C. Johnson. This regiment was mustered into the U. S. service at Trenton, April 27, 1861, to serve for three months, and left the state for Washington, D. C., on May 3, with 37 commissioned officers and 743 non-commissioned officers and privates, a total of 777. On the evening of May 5 it reached the capital, and on the 9th it was ordered to go into camp at Meridian hill, where, within a few days the entire brigade was encamped, and where, on the 12th, it was honored by a visit from the president, who warmly complimented the appearance of the troops. On the evening of May 23 it joined the 2nd and 3d regiments and about midnight took up the line of march in silence for the bridge that spanned the Potomac. This bridge was crossed at 2 o'clock on the morning of the 24th, the 2nd was posted at Roach's spring, and the 3d and 4th about half a mile beyond on the Alexandria road. On July 16, a guard was detailed from the 4th for a section of the Orange & Alexandria railroad, which it was important to hold; one company from the regiment guarded the Long bridge; still another was on duty at Arlington mills; and the remainder of the regiment, together with the 2nd, was ordered to proceed to Alexandria. On July 24, the term of service having expired, the 4th returned to New Jersey and was mustered out at Trenton, July 31, 1861. The total strength of the regiment was 783, and it lost by discharge 6, by promotion 2, by death 2 and by desertion 7, mustered out, 766.

Henry Frost was among those who mustered out with Company C, Fourth Infantry Regiment New Jersey on July 31, 1861 at Trenton, NJ. After some time at home in Camden, Henry Frost  re-enlisted, on June 2, 1862 as a private in Company H, 10th Infantry Regiment New Jersey.

 This regiment was organized under the provisions of an act of Congress, approved July 22, 1861, and by authority issued by the war department direct to private individuals resident of the state, and not in any way under the control or supervision of the state authorities. Under the authority thus given, recruiting was commenced and the organization soon completed. It was then accepted by the war department as an independent organization, having been designated the "Olden Legion." The regiment went into camp at Beverly, New Jersey, and from thence proceeded to Washington on December 26, 1861, with 35 officers, 883 non-commissioned officers and privates, a total of 918. It went into camp at Camp Clay on the Bladensburg turnpike, a mile from Washington. On January 29, 1862, the regiment was transferred to the state authorities and it was then thoroughly reorganized and designated the 10th regiment. The greater part of its early service was performed in and around Washington, having been assigned there for provost duty. Henry Frost was promoted to Full Corporal on October 20, 1862.

On April 12, 1863, the Tenth New Jersey was detached and proceeded to Suffolk, Virginia, to assist in repelling a demonstration by the enemy at that point. Coming up with the enemy at Carrsville, near the Blackwater River, the Tenth speedily became engaged, capturing some prisoners and inflicting considerable loss on the retreating foe, the regiment losing several men in killed and wounded. 

During the following winter, which was spent in the mining regions of Pennsylvania, many of the organization reenlisted and the regiment was otherwise recruited, but to such an extent were desertions instigated by the people of that section, that the colonel, who was anxious to be united with the Army of the Potomac, urged the department to place his command in the field. It shared in all the battles of the Wilderness campaign all the way to Petersburg, on every field displaying 
conspicuous gallantry. In the battle of the Wilderness it suffered severely, especially in the assault of the Confederate Gen. Gordon late on May 6. In the engagement resulting from this assault, the regiment lost nearly one entire company in prisoners alone. On the evening of the 8th it again met the foe, when the regiment on its left became in some way separated from it and the two being thus isolated, were pounced upon by the enemy with great force, compelling them to give way, with 
heavy loss--the 10th having 80 men and several officers captured, including Colonel Tay, the prisoners being taken to the rear and the next day started for Richmond, but were fortunately on the same day rescued from the hands of their guards by General Sheridan, at Beaver Dam Station. The total loss of the regiment up to this time, aside from prisoners, had been 113--18 killed and 95 wounded. In the fighting along the Po River the Tenth shared with the brigade, and at Cold Harbor 
again suffered largely, being in the first day's engagement in the third line of battle, and losing some 70 in killed and wounded. In the assault upon the enemy's position the regiment charged alone at a peculiarly exposed point and sustained heavy loss, amounting in all to some 65 in killed and wounded. 

On July 9, 1864 at Monocacy, Maryland the Tenth New Jersey and other units under the command of Major General Lew Wallace which had left Frederick on the evening of the 8th and by a night march took position on the left bank of the Monocacy river. Early on the morning of the 9th the Confederates moved out from Frederick City and began the fight in skirmish order, a little later bringing their artillery into action. The enemy's cavalry and artillery then moved around to the Federal left and charged vigorously on the 3rd division of the 6th army corps, but the attack was repulsed and a countercharge made, driving the enemy back. A second attack of Confederate 
infantry was repulsed, but with heavy loss to both sides. About 3:30 p.m. the enemy's batteries were brought into position to enfilade the Federal line and another assaulting force of four lines of infantry was moved into position. When Wallace saw the approaching column he ordered a retreat on the Baltimore Pike, where Brigadier General E. B. Tyler had been skirmishing fiercely all day. The retreat was made in good order, Tyler forming the rear-guard. The Confederates followed for some distance, but darkness stopped the pursuit. The Federal loss amounted to 123 killed, 603 wounded and 568 captured or missing. The Confederate loss in killed and wounded was reported as being 700.

On July 13th the Tenth New Jersey was in another skirmish outside of Washington DC. On July 15th, at Tennallytown, Maryland, while the regiment was en route to Snicker's Ford, Virginia Corporal Henry Frost deserted. 

Henry Frost returned to Camden and became involved with the Weccacoe Fire Company No. 2 as a volunteer fireman in the late 1860s.

Henry Frost was appointed to the Camden Fire Department as a replacement for J. Kelly Brown, who had resigned from service as an extra man with Engine Company 2, on October 9, 1872. Henry Frost was a blacksmith by trade. He was living at 112 Taylor Avenue during his time in service with the Camden Fire Department.

Henry Frost was dismissed from his position on July 15, 1873 along with Bernard Dennis and Thomas Grapevine. This ended his involvement with the Camden Fire Department.

The 1878 Camden City Directory shows Henry Frost, blacksmith, at 412 South 2nd Street. Not long afterwards Henry Frost went to work for Charles Caffrey, who had a large carriage building business near Tenth and Market Streets. The 1880 Census shows Henry Frost as a carriage painter at 412 South 2nd Street, where he lived with his wife Sarah. The 1881-1882 lists "Harry Frost, blacksmith" at 578 Carman Street, however the 1882-1883 and 1883-1884 City Directories show Henry Frost at 578 Carman Street. In 1882-1883 he is listed as a "coach smith", in the 1883-1884 directory his occupation is laborer.

Henry Frost's real avocation and to some extent occupation was as a dog fighter. His bulldog, "Whitey", won numerous fights and a good deal of money for Henry Frost, both in Camden and in other large cities in the northeast. In the spring of 1883 the dog was stolen, and Henry Frost began drinking to excess. As a former member of the Weccacoe Fire Company No. 2, Henry Frost realized a bit of money when their old firehouse at 503 Benson Street was sold in 1883. With the money he received he opened a small saloon at North 11th and Carpenter Streets, where he died on December 28, 1883. Henry Frost was survived by his wife Sarah, who operated the business for about a year, appearing in the 1884-1885 City Directory as "Frost Sarah, liquors, 11th and Carpenter". The 1885-1888 City Directory reads"Frost Sarah, widow of Henry", at 410 Mickle Street.

Henry Frost's brother, George Frost, later served as a member of the Camden Fire Department, as did brother-in-law William Turner. Another brother, Charles A. Frost, was a successful businessman in Camden. Henry Frost's nephew, George W. Frost, the son of his older brother Frederick, had a long career with the Camden Police Department, retiring as Chief of Police in the late 1940s. Another nephew, brother George's son Frank Frost, served with the Camden Police Department in the 1910s.

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 26, 1873
John Gray Jr. - Thomas Grapewine - Henry Frost
Bernard Dennis - Elwood Cline
David B. Sparks - Charles Elfreth - Joseph Nece William Osler - Isaac Randolph

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 29, 1883

Henry Frost
North 11th Street
Carpenter Street
Weccacoe Engine Compnay
Charles Caffrey
Caffrey Carriage Works