HAROLD J. MEGEE was born in Camden, New Jersey on April 4, 1913, one of at least four children born to Emma and Leonard J. Megee. In January of 1920 the family, which included older brother Leonard H. and younger sisters Beatrice and Evelyn, lived at 407 Royden Street in South Camden. Leonard J. Megee was then working as a janitor in one of Camden's public schools. He later was appointed to the Camden Fire Department, possibly through the influence of James Tatem, who served as Camden's Chief of Police for a time in the mid-1920s. When the Census was taken in April of 1930, the Megee family lived at 613 South 5th Street, the corner of South 5th and Royden Streets. James Tatem was their next door neighbor at 615 South 5th Street, and Albert Fogg, a clerk at Camden's City Hall, resided at 617. Just around the corner at at 458 Royden Street was Camden policeman Nathan Petit, at 456 was Camden fire fighter John Lutts.

Harold Megee followed his father into the Camden Fire Department. He was appointed to the department on July 16, 1937 and was assigned to Engine Company 7 on Kaighn Avenue above Mount Ephraim Avenue, where he reported for duty on July 19, 1937. 

The 1940 Camden City Directory shows Harold Megee living at 515 Benson Street. By the time the 1943 edition was compiled, he had moved to 3083 Carman Street, where he lived into the 1970s.

Harold Megee was promoted to Captain and transferred to Engine Company 8, 619 Kaighn Avenue, on April 6, 1948. He was reassigned on December 22, 1949 to Engine Company 6, Front and Linden Streets, where he served until June 15, 1951, when he was again transferred, this time to Engine Company 9 at North 27th Street and Federal Street in East Camden, not far from his home at 3083 Carman Street. Captain Megee served at Engine 9 until he retired on a disability pension on March 6, 1963.

Harold Megee moved out of Camden by the fall of 1977. Last a resident of Medford, New Jersey Harold J. Megee passed away in May of 1978.

Camden Courier-Post - June 1950

Camden Courier-Post - June 1950

Click on Images to Enlarge