GUSTAV ALBERT KOERNER SR. was born August 17, 1896. He served for many years with the Camden Police Department. He joined the force on June 16, 1923, and by February of 1928 was one of Camden's motorcycle policeman, He later was promoted to Detective, and had reached the rank of Detective Sergeant by 1935.  He was serving as a Captain of Detectives by June of 1944. When the 1947 Camden City Directory was compiled he was living at 807 Haddon Avenue, with wife Mary and at least one child, a son, Gustav Albert Koerner Jr.

By December of 1951 Gustav Koerner had risen to the rank of Chief of Police for the City of Camden. He retired on April 19, 1960.

Gustav Koerner had moved to 430 North 38th Street in East Camden at some point after 1947. He was still listed in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory at that address as late as 1977.

Gustav Koerner passed away in January of 1987. 



Camden Courier-Post
August 24, 1923

William J. Hurlock
Raymond Stark
Louis C. Schlam
George Carpenter
Gustav A. Koerner
Frank Carle
John Stanton
George Hill
Joseph Lohrman
Frank Nidle
Leo Helvins
Fritz Heger
North 30th Street
Pleasant Street







Camden Courier-Psot * January 11, 1928


When Paul Genovese, 48 years old, of 613 South 4th Street, a city gardener, was arraigned in police court this morning on a charge of carrying concealed deadly weapons, he told Judge Bertman he did not know it was illegal to carry firearms. Sentence was suspended after a severe reprimand.

Genovese was arrested Sunday night at Third and Washington Streets by Policeman Gus Koerner. The case was postponed to produce additional witnesses.

In court this morning Koerner said he found Genovese chasing another man with the gun. The policeman said Genovese was intoxicated.

Bertman rebuked the defendant and told him that just because he was a city employee and wore a badge he was not entitled to carry a gin and blackjack. In suspending sentence he told him he could not carry a weapon at any time in the future under any circumstances without the proper permit.

Camden Courier-Post - January 26, 1928

‘Caveman’ Clayton Sparkles in City League Victory; Wayne Boys Win

 Central Camden beat the Camden Police quintet to make it two straight in the Municipal basketball circuit at Convention Hall last night. By blanking Clarence Phifer, and holding Ott Laxton down to six points the Central outfit spiked the Coppers’ attack. Clayton and Grover Wearshing did the heavy work for the winners. Clayton held Phifer without a field shot and tallied four times from the field. Wearshing bagged a trio of double-deckers.

Gus Koerner was ejected from the game when Referee Keneman ruled him off the floor for abusive language.

The Wayne dribblers battled down South Camden under a 46-20 score in the other combat Jimmy Reed and Devlin were the bright stars for the winners.

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - February 17, 1928

Clothing Stolen From Store, Teacher's Desk Looted; Bell-Ringer Arrested 

Frank Evans - John W. Golden - Gus Koerner - James McTaggert
Ann Street - Atlantic Avenue - Broadway - Erie Street - Front Street - Locust Street Sycamore Street - Woodland Avenue
Broadway School - North Camden
Francis Smith - Raymond Walker   


Camden Courier-Post 
April 29, 1929



John Doris - Joseph O'Connor - American Restaurant - Kaighn Avenue

Camden Courier-Post * April 29, 1929

John Doris - Frank Doris - Joseph O'Connor aka Joseph Connors - Broadway - Kaighn Avenue

Russell Sage - Mechanic Street - James "Jimmie" Toland - Nonpariel Club
Charles Riehm - Haddon Avenue - William Kelly aka Leo Morton - Van Hook Street
Harry Selah - South 3rd Street - William J. Merrick - Liberty Street - Lorenzo Cole - Jefferson Avenue
Ernest Matsios - Leo McKenna - Mt. Vernon Street - United Shoe Repair - Amber Street

Joseph Leonhardt - Samuel Johnson - Gustav Koerner - Joseph Carpani - Thomas Cheeseman
Sylvester McGrath - Fiore Troncone - Joseph "Mose" Flannery - Lewis Stehr

Frank T. Lloyd Sr.
David S. Rhone
Rocco Palese
Lawrence T. Doran

Raymond O'Connor - Hughy McLoon

Camden Courier-Post
June 25, 1929

Camden Courier-Post * April 9, 1930

Rhone Reported ready to Make Five Patrolmen Sergeant

Reports that five members of the Camden police department will be promoted to sergeants tomorrow were circulated, today after announcement that two sergeants had been appointed lieutenant.

Those who, according to rumors, will be elevated to sergeant are Nathan Petit, of the second police district, to be assigned to the traffic squad; Gus Koerner, detective bureau; Walter Rowand, first district; Frank Truax, Second district, and Edward Hahn, third district.

The two new lieutenants who took oath of office yesterday are Samuel Johnson and Thomas Cunningham. The former was a sergeant of police attached to the detective bureau and will continue in that department, while Cunningham, while a sergeant, was acting lieutenant in day command at the fourth district. He remains in that district, The appointments were announced yesterday by Commissioner David S. Rhone, director of public safety.

Both were immediately administered oaths of office by Dr. Rhone's secretary, Bayard M. Sullivan, at the director's office, Lieutenant Cunningham is already eligible for retirement, having served more than 20 years on the city police force.

The two appointments complete the seven lieutenancies created n by a city ordinance. Ten members of the police department passed civil service examinations for the post, which pays an annual salary of $2500. Each must serve one year as lieutenant before becoming eligible to take examination for captaincy.

The five previously appointed lieutenants are George Frost, now night commander of the fourth district; Walter Welch, third district; Charles Laib, a sub-commander of the traffic bureau under Captain Charles T. Humes, traffic Inspector; Ralph Bakley, second district; and George Ward, first district.

The other three candidates who passed the examination, Sergeants John Potter, Herbert Anderson and Harry I. Newton, did not receive lieutenancies, although Potter had the highest percentage in the tests.

Camden Courier-Post * August 22, 1931




Stephen Kirby - Roy R. Stewart - Eugene Lorenzo - Garfield S. Pancoast
North 5th Street - Walter Smith - Alfred Shire - Edwin Mills - Gus Koerner
Bernard Dempsey - Sydney Wilkins - Robert Sweeney - Betty Doyle
Helen Wright - Albert Malmsbury - Frank Smith - Joseph A. Kirby
John C. Gibson - Main Street - Pearl Street - Bailey Street 
Borton Street - York Street - Dayton Street
Marlton Avenue - Haddon Avenue - Newton Avenue
South 7th Street - Cedar Street

Camden Courier-Post - August 24, 1931
Robert Ashenfelter
Benjamin Simon
Charles Rettberg

American Stores
Robert Ashenfelter
Charles Rettberg 
Benjamin Simon
Pierce Avenue
North 32nd Street

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - August 24, 1931

Robert Ashenfelter - Lawrence T. Doran
 Charles Rettberg - Theodore Rettberg - James Melbourne aka Melvin James
John Golden - Frank Evans - Gus Koerner - Charles Wainwright
Benjamin Simon - Joseph Shreeve - Elwood Humphreys - Louis Schlam
Richard Donnelly - Charles Johnson - Lewis Smith - Charles Schultz
North 36th Street - Pierce Avenue - North 32nd Street - Bergen Avenue





August 24, 1931



Camden Courier-Post
June 1, 1932

Benjamin R. Denny
John Cooper
South 2nd Street
John Huston
Gus Koerner


Victim of Amnesia Found Wandering On Streets Here

Found wandering in the vicinity of  Twenty-seventh and Federal Streets last night an unidentified man was sent to Cooper Hospital apparently suffering from amnesia.

Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner found the man, who said his brother is a New York policeman. The man was unable to give a coherent reply to questions about his name or address.

Fingerprints will be taken today, Koerner said, in order to determine whether the man has a police record. Koerner said he speaks with an Irish brogue, is 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighs about 145 pounds and has a prominent nose. He was dressed in a brown suit, gray overcoat, sweater and brown shoes.

Camden Courier-Post - February 8, 1933

'Mr. X' Tries to Die

'Amensia Victim' Jailed Pending Examinatioin by Physicians

Police still were attempting last night to identify the man picked up by police Monday night and who attempted to commit suicide on the way to the Bertillion room at police headquarters to be fingerprinted. Although he maintained he does not know his name or where he comes from, police believe him to be holding something back.

Placed In Jail

He was placed in the county jail on order of Judge Pancoast pending examination by county physicians. As he was being led into the Bertillon records room, the prisoner made a sudden dash for the window and tried to throw it open. Detectives William Boettcher, Clifford Del Rossi and Clarence Arthur dragged him away and subdued him after a violent struggle. While his incoherent responses to questions Indicated he might be a victim of amnesia, Del Rossi expressed the belief the prisoner was

"concealing something." Copies of his fingerprints will be sent to Eastern police departments In an effort to identify him.

Brother a Policeman

The man was wandering in the vicinity of Twenty-seventh and Federal streets last night. Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner questioned him but the only Information he could elicit was that the man had a brother on the New York police force. Koerner took him to Cooper Hospital and then to the city jail.


Bandits Rip Off Trousers And Take Worker's $500 Cash
Trio Attacks Man on Way to Shipyard and Menaces Barber Who
Goes to Aid With Revolver; Hurl Torn Garment in Victim's Face

After holding him up and tearing off his trousers completely from his legs three bandits robbed Adam Wallace, 61, of 1021 South Second Street, of $500 at 7:00 a.m. yesterday.

A South Camden barber who at tempted to assist the man as the bandits were struggling with him was threatened with death by one of the thugs who pointed a revolver at his face.

Wallace told Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner he was walking along South Second Street on his way to work at the New York Shipbuilding Company when three colored men approached him at Boyer's Court, which is between Sycamore Street and Kaighn Avenue.

One of them grabbed him around the neck, he said, and he was dragged into a small alley. He at tempted to struggle with the men he told Koerner, but they overpowered him and threw him to the ground. They then tore his trousers and took $500 he had in one of the pockets.

While the thieves were struggling with the man, Herman Bird, colored, a barber, of 1131 South Second Street, who was washing the windows of his shop less than 100 feet away heard the commotion and ran to Adam’s assistance.

One of the trio stopped him before he reached the alley and placed the revolver against his mouth and told him to "go back where you came from or you will get shot."

After taking the trousers the bandits found the money and hurled the torn garment back at Wallace who was still lying on the ground.

He returned to his home less than two squares away and reported the theft to detectives. The money, he said, was cash that he has saved up in several years employment at the shipyard. He did not tell detectives how he happened to be carrying it today.

Camden Courier-Post - June 29, 1933

Others Captured on Roof of Vacant House; Oldest 13

Three small boys were arrested last night as lawbreakers.

John Greely, 13, of 419 Cedar Street, charged with malicious mischief and breaking and entering, was arrested by Detective John Kaighn on complaint of Carl H. Brummer, of 629 Clinton Street, manager of an American Store at Fourth and Elm Streets, who said he found the boy hiding in the cellar of the store.

The other boys, Victor Linkletter, 13, and William Hoy, 12, both of 506 Penn Street, are charged with trespassing. They were arrested by Detective Sergeant Gustave Koerner and Detectives Kaighn and Frank Crawford, who from windows of the detective bureau in new city hall, said they saw the boys on the roof of a vacant three-story building at 427 Market Street.

Climbing up the rear of the building they said they cornered the boys hiding behind a chimney, apparently planning to enter the building.

All three will be arraigned in police court today.

Camden Courier-Post - June 30, 1933

 Charged with malicious mischief and breaking and entering, John Greeley, 13, of 419 Cedar Street, was sent to the Detention Home to await action by the Juvenile Court at a hearing yesterday before Police Judge Pancoast.

Patrolman Walter Patton testified he arrested the boy as he emerged from a chain grocery at Fourth and Elm Streets. Complaint against John was made by C. H. Brummer, 629 Clinton Street, manager of the store.

Two other boys, Victor Linkletter, 13, of 506 Penn Street, and William Hoy, 12, same address, arrested on the roof of a vacant building at 429 Market Street, were freed. Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner said he believes the boys were going to enter the place.

Camden Courier-Post
October 11, 1933

George Hetterick
Moore Street
Michael DiOrio
Ralph Di Servio
James Licchetto
South 3rd Street
Gustav Koerner
Walter Smith
John Trout
Marshall Thompson


Camden Courier-Post * June 19, 1934

Stanley Powell Stanley Geda John Lenkowski Mitchell Sadowski
George Ward - Gustav Koerner - Genova Cafe - Central Airport - William T. Feitz - Joseph Schultz
Stephie Ciesla - Chase Street - Ellis Parker - Young & Metzner Co.

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 3, 1934
William T. Feitz - Sycamore Street - Joseph Leonhardt - Stanley Wirtz - Arthur Colsey - George Ward
Samuel P. Orlando - Gustav Koerner - Emma Heisler - Cornelius Murphy - Thomas Bonelli
Edward Grapatin - Joseph McKenna - Catherine Loughead - Edith Miller - Edna Butler
Joseph "Joey" Powell - Stanley Powell Thomas Cheeseman - Frank T. Lloyd




Detective William Feitz
Arthur Holl - Vernon Jones - Cecelia Spencer - Roy R. Stewart - Frank Adams - Joseph MacDonald
Henry Gorba - Edward McKenna -
Rox Saponare - Edward B. Rogers

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 14, 1934

Material Witness Will View Suspects Caught by Camden Sleuths
Police Order All Persons Arrested to Face 'Line Up' in Slaying Probe

Seven men and women held by Camden as police as material witnesses in the murder of Detective William T. Feitz two weeks ago in an alleged South Camden disorderly house will look over two men arrested in Chester PA after a store holdup here.

This was announced today by County Detective Lawrence T. Doran, who is directing the investigation for Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando.

 At the same time, Chief Doran disclosed that after a conference with Police Chief Arthur Colsey, orders were issued that every person arrested in Camden, whether the charge is trivial or serious, will be placed in a police "lineup" and the material witnesses will face them to see if any of Feitz's killers are among them.

Chief Doran was not sure whether the Camden County authorities would be able to bring the two robbery suspects to Camden because they are also wanted in Pennsylvania for almost a score of other holdups and burglaries.

Will Visit Chester

In the event that Chester authorities will not turn the two men over to Camden detectives, the witnesses will go to Chester to examine them, Chief Doran said.

Those held in Chester in connection with the holdup Wednesday night of the candy store of Michael Guzik at 1301 Sheridan Street identified themselves as Peter Muraska, 10, of 342 McDowell Street, and Ray Tuttle, 30, of 2529 West Ninth Street, both of Chester.

While neither Chief Doran nor Chief Colsey believe Muraska or Tuttle may be implicated in the murder of the detective because they are not known to be killers, both declared the suspects will be questioned as to their whereabouts at the time Feitz was shot to death.

"We are letting nothing slip through our fingers at this stage of the investigation" Chief Doran said. "There is a bare possibility that either of these two suspects may be implicated or have some knowledge that would be useful to us in solving this crime".

While negotiations were under way between Camden County authorities and Chester police to bring the suspects here, Chief Colsey was making inquiry into the actions of Patrolman William Brickner during the holdup.

Questioned by Colsey

Brickner was summoned to Chief Colsey's office at City Hall today to explain why he had rushed from his home at 1263 Chase Street to the scene of the holdup when told by neighbors that it was taking place and then gave his gun to his son Elmer so he could watch the place so he the policeman could telephone police headquarters for help.

According to Guzik, the proprietor of the store, the bandits were in his store 30 minutes. They locked the doors behind them and  gagged Guzik and guarded his wife, Blanche, and her sister, Mary Pitura, 18.

The bandits broke open a trunk from which they took $100 in pennies, $30 in scrip, and $4 in silver. Guzik said the pennies represented his profit in a penny vending machine over a period of time.

It was while Guzik was left alone that he shouted from one of his windows and neighbors called Brickner who was at home and off duty. His son Elmer, fired one shot at the fleeing car before the patrolman came back from telephoning for help.

Several numbers of the license plates on the bandits car were covered with tape but one of the youngsters in the neighborhood succeeded in pushing aside the tape and getting the complete number which was turned over to police. Yesterday Detective Lieutenant Ward, accompanied by Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner and Detective Joseph Carpani went to Chester and made the arrests.

The car, which carried Pennsylvania tags, was listed in the name of Archie Hendrickson of Morton Avenue, Chester, police said.

Arrest of Six Links Numbers And Fake Cash
Men Nabbed Here Believed to Be Members of Ring

A tie-up between a huge counterfeiting ring and a gambling syndicate backing the "numbers" was believed unearthed by Camden police and Federal authorities following the arrest here yesterday of six colored men on charges of attempting to pass bogus money.

Federal investigators were delving into the intricacies of the Philadelphia and Camden numbers racket today to learn if the "pay-off" of any “bank" is made in counterfeit coins.

One of the men arrested, Edward Duncan, 36, of 805 Sheridan Street, Philadelphia, told Detective Sergeant Gustav Koerner and agents from the Department of Justice, that he had received a bogus $10 bill found in his possession is payment of a bet yesterday with a Philadelphia numbers syndicate.

Duncan and five companions were arrested yesterday as they attempted to have the bill changed at a gasoline station at Haddon Avenue and Sycamore Street.

An attendant, Samuel Goldberg, saw that the bill, tendered in payment for a purchase of gasoline, was counterfeit and called Special Officer John Voll and Patrolman Paul Jackson, standing nearby.

They arrested the men, who were later held in $10,000 bail each to await the outcome of the investigation.

It was learned later that the same men had attempted to pass a bogus bill at a gasoline station at Crescent Boulevard and Park Avenue, Collingswood, but had fled there when the station attendant summoned police.

Federal investigators working on the case expressed a belief last night that the counterfeit ring was using the numbers bank to flood this section with the spurious bills

The others arrested with Duncan were Frank Henderson, 27, of 2021 Lambert Street; Fletcher Hammonds, 28, of 2007 Mervine Street; Aaron Howell, 46, of 2008 North Twenty-­first Street; James Wilson, 33, of 2023 Norris Street; and Samuel Stanley, 38, of 1936 North Twenty-second street, all Philadelphia.

“These changes are being made for the good of the service,” Commissioner Kobus declared. “There will be other transfers of officers and men so that all the police may familiarize themselves with all the branches of the department.”

 Lieutenant Johnson was a appointed a policeman on January 1, 1910. After 10 years as a patrolman, he was promoted to a detective, where he made a splendid record. On November 28, 1928 he was made a sergeant, and again promoted on April 8, 1930, when he became a lieutenant.

 Ward was appointed a policeman on August 2, 1917, promoted to detective January 1, 1927, sergeant November 14, 1928 and lieutenant on January 24, 1930.

  Johnson was a detective sergeant when former Police Chief John W. Golden was head of that bureau, but later was transferred to police headquarters.

Ward has been in and out of the detective bureau several times. He served for a time as the commander of the First District and later was in charge of the police headquarters on the 12:00 midnight to 8:00 AM shift. He was a political lieutenant of former Public Safety Director David S. Rhone.


 By Charles L. Humes 

In a shakeup of Camden police officials yesterday afternoon Lieutenant Samuel E. Johnson was named acting chief of detectives by Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, director of public safety. 

Lieutenant George A. Ward, who has been in charge of the detective bureau for a year, was transferred to take Johnson's place in charge of headquarters. 

Detective Louis Shaw was made assistant to Johnson, replacing Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner. Koerner was transferred to the Second District, for radio car and street duty. The new order became effective at 4:00 PM yesterday                       

Police Chief Arthur Colsey announced the changes in the bureau after a two-hour conference with Commissioner Kobus yesterday afternoon. 

Maurice Di Nicuolo, who has been an acting detective, was transferred to the First Police District, with former Acting Detective Clifford Del Rossi returning to his old post in the detective bureau. 

In the only other transfer announced, Sergeant Harry Newton was switched from the First Police District to the Third, with Sergeant Edward Carroll going from the Third to the First. 

Although no other changes were made public, it is believed yesterday’s are a forerunner of numerous shifts to be made today or early next week.’ 

“These changes are being made for the good of the service,” Commissioner Kobus declared. “There will be other transfers of officers and men so that all the police may familiarize themselves with all the branches of the department.”

 Lieutenant Johnson was a appointed a policeman on January 1, 1910. After 10 years as a patrolman, he was promoted to a detective, where he made a splendid record. On November 28, 1928 he was made a sergeant, and again promoted on April 8, 1930, when he became a lieutenant.

 Ward was appointed a policeman on August 2, 1917, promoted to detective January 1, 1927, sergeant November 14, 1928 and lieutenant on January 24, 1930.

  Johnson was a detective sergeant when former Police Chief John W. Golden was head of that bureau, but later was transferred to police headquarters.

Ward has been in and out of the detective bureau several times. He served for a time as the commander of the First District and later was ion charge of the police headquarters on the 12:00 midnight to 8:00 AM shift. He was a political lieutenant of former Public Safety Director David S. Rhone.

Camden Courier-Post - March 17, 1936

Orlando Acts as City Cops Free Former Boxer in Payroll Plot
Prisoner Says Ex-Fighter
Got Him in on Theft, Tipped Police

Joseph 'Joey' Powell, former boxer who was arrested by city police in connection with a South Camden holdup and subsequently released, was rearrested by county detectives last night.

Powell was taken into custody on orders of Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando, who also ordered the arrest of a second suspect.

Camden police turned the case over to the prosecutor's office after the arraignment of Walter Lewandowski, who was caught in a police trap Friday night as he allegedly attempted to steal a $800 payroll at the Eavenson & Levering Company's plant at Fourth Street and Ferry Avenue. He formerly was employed there.

Two Others Implicated

Lewandowski implicated Powell, 25, of 46 Woodland Avenue, and Leon­ard Rogalski, 20, of 1219 South Tenth Street, in a plot to steal the payroll, according to Police Chief Arthur Colsey.

Powell thereupon was taken into custody and questioned, then, according to Colsey, he was released temporarily, in his own recognizance, pending further investigation. Rogalski was not arrested until County Detectives James Wren and Casimir Wojtkowiak took him in last night. The same detectives arrested Powell. Both suspects were charged with attempted holdup and robbery and committed to the county jail. 

Lewandoski,24, of 924 Atlantic Avenue, also in county jail, committed without bail by Police Judge Lewis Liberman Saturday.

According to Chief Colsey, Lewandowski made a statement in which he accused Powell of plotting the holdup and making him the “goat”.

"The holdup was Powell's idea” Colsey quoted Lewandowski as saying. "He got me in on it, and Rogalski was supposed to take part, too. Rogalski got “cold feet” though, and Powell sent me in while he was supposed to watch outside.”

"Instead he beat it because he had tipped off the police that the place was going to be held up."

Released After Quiz

On the strength of Lewandowski's statement, patrolman Edward Suski was sent to arrest Powell. After questioning, however, the former pugilist was released.

"We found no evidence against Powell," Colsey explained. "Lewandowski's story looked like an attempt to get himself off easier.

"We turned the case over to the prosecutor's office, as we always do after making an arrest that seems to clear up the case."

Lewandowski was captured by Sergeant Gus Koerner and City Detective Clifford Carr. The detectives were tipped off that the factory office was to be held up and laid in wait for the man.

When Lewandowski showed up, Carr and Koerner pointed revolvers at him. He fled down a stairway and Carr fell on him. The two grappled and the detective says the man pointed a .32 caliber pistol at him. Carr overpowered him with blow on the head with the butt of his revolver.

Camden Courier-Post - March 18, 1936

Carr and Koerner Will Be Questioned In Holdup Case

Detective Stanley Wirtz, suspended by Police Chief Arthur Colsey yesterday pending investigation into charges that he supplied the guns and an automobile for a holdup, has been ordered to appear today before Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, director of public safety.

Wirtz, who has been in charge of the city accident bureau, will be asked to "give his side of the story," Commissioner Kobus said.

Later the public safety head will question City Detective Clifford Carr and Police Sergeant Gus Koerner in connection with the capture of an alleged, bandit last Friday night, in an attempted holdup of the Eavenson & Levering Company payroll clerk.

Doran Accuses Wirtz

County Detective Chief Lawrence T. Doran yesterday charged that Wirtz had supplied the guns and automobile to be used in the holdup and then posted Carr and Koerner inside the plant to capture the bandits.

Wirtz, Doran said, admitted the charges in a statement given in the office of Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando.

No motive for the detective's action were revealed by Doran.

Following the questioning of Wirtz and Sergeant Koerner at the prosecutor's office, both men visited the office of Justice Frank T. Lloyd late yesterday.

Justice Lloyd said later he had conferred with Commissioner Kobus in regard to the case.

"I advised the commissioner," Justice Lloyd said, "to go cautiously with the investigation and gather the facts before taking any action. It is a common thing for officers to lay traps for men who are prone to commit crime, although they have no business to encourage crime. I think it is bad policy to suspend any policeman before the facts of the case have been heard."

The charges against Wirtz came after an investigation was ordered into a statement made by Walter Lewandowski, 24 of 924 Atlantic Avenue, who was captured when he attempted to hold up a clerk at the wool scouring company, Ferry Avenue and Jackson Street. Lewandoski claimed he had “been framed" and named Joseph Powell, a police stoo1 pigeon, as the one who planned the holdup and then informed Wirtz of the plans. Powell has been a police informer for some time, according to Chief Colsey. The latter said he had taken Powell into custody for questioning and had released him in his own recognizance. Chief Colsey admitted Powell had given police the tip resulting in Lewandowski’s arrest.

When Lewandowski was nabbed, his gun was loaded with blank cartridges. This gun, according to Chief Doran, was given by Wirtz to Powell, who in turn gave it to Lewandowski. Another youth, Leonard Rogalski, 20, of 1219 South Tenth Street, was supposed to take part in the ho1dup, but "got cold feet and ran away” police were told by Lewandoski.

Doran’s statement follows:

"Stanley Wirtz, Camden city detective, supplied the gun and the automobile used in the attempted hold­up of the Eavenson & Levering Company payroll office Friday night. Statements were given us by three suspects all tally.

“Walter Lewandoski worked at the Eavenson & Levering plant, but was laid off there February 28. On March 3 he had money coming to him and he returned to the plant. Joseph owell accompanied him. Powell talked to Lewandoski then of the payroll, and suggested the holdup. Powell then got in touch with Stanley Wirtz, and told him that Lewandoski was going to stick up the payroll March 4.

"Wirtz on that night loaned Powell a car but someone got cold feet, and the holdup was not attempted. The following week, on March 13, last Friday, Wirtz took a car to Powell’s home and there turned over to him two guns and the automobile. Wirtz then had detectives posted at the scene to arrest the bandits when they made the holdup attempt.

"Powell met Lewandowski and Rogalski and drove them to the plant. There Powell turned over to his two companions the two guns that had been given him by, Wirtz. Rogalski got cold feet and refused to go through with the holdup. Powell then went into the plant with Lewandowski. After Lewandowski went in the door, Powell ran from the building.

“Sergeant Gus Koerner and Detective Clifford Carr, hiding in the office arrested Lewandowski. Powell knew where these officers were hiding.

"Wirtz was outside the building. He did not catch Powell."

Chief Doran said that no one implicates Koerner or Carr in any way in the statements received.

Koerner said:

"I was doing police work. I was brought into this case on a tip that a holdup was going to be staged and I had no knowledge of the guns or the car. I didn't know what it was all about but merely was there to perform my duties as a policeman.

Wirtz is 37 and lives at 1197 Thurman Street. He was one of the first of the new policemen to be appointed to the department in 1924 after Civil Service was put into effect following the adoption of Commission government in 1924. He is a veteran of the World War and got a special rating for that reason when he took the Civil Service examination. In 1931 Wirtz was appointed as an accident investigator in the detective bureau and has served in that capacity ever since. He has a good reputation as a policeman and has never been in trouble before.

About four years ago Wirtz figured in an automobile accident that caused serious injury to one of his legs.

Rogalski was not arrested until County Detectives James Wren and Casimir Wojtkowiak took him in Monday night. The same detectives arrested Powell. Both suspects were charged with attempted holdup and robbery and committed to the county jail.

Lewandowski also is in county jail, committed without bail by police Judge Lewis Liberman Saturday.

Camden Courier-Post - March 19, 1936

Colsey Doubts Cop Will Face Charges; Case to Go to Grand Jury

Decision on any action to be taken against Stanley Wirtz, suspended Camden detective charged with having furnished the guns and automobile for a holdup, will be made today by Commissioner Mary W. Kobus and Police Chief Arthur Colsey.

Wirtz, with Sergeant Gus Koerner and Detective Clifford Carr, was questioned yesterday, and decision was reserved.

Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando, however, said he would place the case before the grand jury.

The charge involved the attempted holdup of the Eavenson & Levering Company payroll, in which one of the alleged bandits was captured at the scene last Friday night.

"No charges have been preferred against Wirtz,” Mrs. Kobus announced after the investigation.

"And I don't believe any charges will be made," Colsey commented, adding:

"Commissioner Kobus and I are going over the reports and statements of all concerned at 10:00 AM tomorrow and a decision will be made then.”

Suspended Tuesday

Wirtz was suspended Tuesday after County Detective Chief Lawrence T. Doran announced Wirtz had admitted supplying the pistols and car, allegedly used in the abortive attempt to obtain a $800 payroll at the wool-scouring plant. 

Wirtz was still under suspension last night, Colsey announced. 

William B. Macdonald, court stenographer, recorded the statements made by each man,

Koerner and Carr were "planted" in the office of the company before the holdup and frustrated the attempted crime, capturing Walter Lewandowski, 24, of 924 Atlantic Avenue.

"All three made full statements to us;" Colsey said and then declined to reveal what the statements contained.

Denies Stories Clash

Asked if there was any conflict between the statements made to Doran and those made to Mrs. Kobus and him, Colsey said:

''No, I wouldn't say so."

Wirtz appeared briefly before the commissioner and chief at the start of their probe, which was conducted in Mrs. Kobus' office. He left the room after about two minutes and told reporters, sitting outside:

"I refused to make a statement. I  made one yesterday and that is enough."

Mrs. Kobus, however, said Wirtz did not refuse to make a statement but, instead, asked for a little time to consider his statement.

"He said he had been In court all day and was nervous,” Mrs. Kobus said.

No Charges Made

Asked for a statement at the conclusion of the investigation, Mrs. Kobus said:

"No charges have been preferred against Wirtz. This was not a hearing on any charge. This was an investigation of reports which I read in the newspapers. It is the duty of the police officials to investigate any such report, and Wirtz and the other two detectives who figured in the case were called in to make statements. 'This was not, a trial and I do not care to make a statement now about what went on."

The suspension of Wirtz came after an investigation was ordered into a statement made by Lewandowski.

Lewandowski charged that he had been "framed" by Joseph Powell, a police stool pigeon. He named Powell as the one who "planned the holdup and, said Powell then informed Wirtz of the plans.

Rearrest Made

Doran said Wirtz, admitted dealing with Powell and giving Powell two pistols and an automobile for use in the holdup. As a result Powell, who had been arrested and released by city police, was rearrested by the county detectives.

In addition, Leonard “Rags” Rogalski, 20, of 1219 South 10th Street, was arrested by the county detectives. They said Lewandowski told them Rogalski originally was intended to take part in the holdup but got "cold feet", and backed out at the last moment.

Powell, Lewandowski and Rogalski are held in the county jail.

When informed last night of the statements made by Mrs. Kobus and Colsey, Prosecutor Orlando said:

"I have nothing to do with the discipline of the police department. I will present the full facts of this holdup to the grand jury and, that body may take any action it desires."

Jury to Get Case

Asked if he would request an indictment against Wirtz, Orlando said:

"I will give the grand jury the full facts. The members will decide for themselves what action to follow."

Doran was in conference briefly with Mrs. Kobus and Colsey before the three detectives were questioned. He said he gave them statements made by Lewandowski, Powell and Rogalski, and also by Wirtz.

Later Doran returned to Mrs. Kobus' office with a copy of charge of carrying concealed deadly weap­ons, preferred in 1930 against Lewandowski in 1930, when Lewandowski was 18.

This charge was no-billed, Doran said.

"He was listed as a mental case," Doran said, "and was examined by the county physician and pronounced O.K." .



 Temporary changes in the police department to offset the absence of Lieutenant George Frost, head of the First District, who is ill, and Lieutenant George Ward, of headquarters, who is away on police business, were announced yesterday by Chief Arthur Colsey

Sgt. John Potter, of the Third District, is made acting lieutenant and placed in charge of the First. Patrolman Louis Schmidt, of the Third, replaces Potter as acting sergeant.

Lieutenant Herbert Anderson, of the Fourth District, replaces Ward at headquarters, with Sgt. John Skolski acting as lieutenant in charge of the Fourth.

Sgt. Gustav Koerner, of the Second District, who has been working in plain clothes, Is to report in uniform.

Patrolman John Kowal, of the Second District, is shifted to the First district, with Patrolman William Schultz going from the First district to the Second district. 

Mary Kobus - Arthur Colsey - Ralph Bakley - Herbert Bott - Louis Shaw
John Skolski - George Frost Walter Welch - Nathan Pettit - Frank Evans
Gus Koerner - Edward Hahn - Harry Newton

JANUARY 29, 1938

Camden Courier-Post * February 14, 1938

Barber Indicted in Murder Cuts Patrolman With Shattered Plate

Sam Bosco, Camden barber indicted and arrested on a murder charge last Friday, went temporarily berserk in the city jail late Saturday, police revealed yesterday.

In a fit of nerves and rage, according to the police, the heavy-set prisoner flung a platter of food in the face of the jailer, Policeman William Michalak, who had opened Bosco's cell to give him a hot meal he brought from a nearby restaurant.

Bosco then menaced the jailer with a jagged fragment of the platter that shattered on the cell floor. Michalak rang an alarm which attracted Police Lieut. Herbert Anderson, Detective Thomas Murphy, Motorcycle Policeman Marshall Thompson, Sgt. Gus Koerner and Policeman James McLaughlin from the adjacent police headquarters in City Hall.

Anderson and Murphy went into the cell tier at the end of which Bosco stood, still brandishing the piece of broken dish. After grabbing his arms, they led him back to his cell. He offered no resistance.

"I was excited," he told them later.

Camden Courier-Post * February 14, 1938

7 Arrested in Bingo Numbers Racket; 4 Seized in Betting Place

Ten men and a woman were arrested in gambling raids over the weekend by Camden city and county authorities.

Seven were arrested for operating a "bingo numbers" racket. A warrant also was issued for Frank Palese, 400 Spruce street, a member of a widely known South Camden family, as the "big shot" of the racket, according to Chief Lawrence T. Doran, of county detectives. Doran said last night Palese is still a fugitive.

In another raid by Camden police, three men and a woman were arrested in an alleged horse racing betting establishment at 1149 Lansdowne avenue. The place was on the second floor over a grocery store, according to Sergeant Gus Koerner, City Detective Thomas Murphy, Jr.
and Patrolman James McLaughlin, who made the raid. Koerner and Murphy also figured in the second raid.

Several racing forms and four telephones with two direct wires to tracks now in operation were seized, according to Koerner and Murphy, The police first arrested Roland Flynn, 36, of 589 Carman street; Neil Zeldman, 43, of 1064 Langham avenue, and James O'Donal, 27, of. 
1119 Empire avenue, and held them in $1000 bail for violating the State crimes act.

Woman Arrested

Later Mrs. Rose Koplin, 37, who lives in an apartment over the store, was taken into custody on the same charge and held in $500 bail. Mrs. Koplin's brother, Milton Katz, posted cash bail for her release.

Katarina Pologruto, 420 West street, posted bail for O'Donal, who also is known as O'Donnell, and Flynn. Frank Davalos, saloonkeeper, of 441 Benson street, furnished bail for Zeldman.

Murphy reported that $700 had been bet on race horses at the establishment up until 3.30 p. m., Saturday, the time of the raid.

Among those arrested in the "bingo numbers" racket was Fred Rossi, who fought in the prize ring under the name of "Pee Wee" Ross. He was arrested Saturday afternoon at his home at 438 Mickle street by Koerner and Murphy.

O'Donal, Flynn, Zeidman and Mrs. Koplin will be given hearings today in police court.
Others under arrest in the lottery game their names and addresses as Joseph Marino, 288 Chestnut street; Harry Girard, 446 Pine street; Peter Branco, 1109 South Third street; Donald Goodman, of Woodlynne; Irving Chapman, 43 South Merchant street, Merchantville, and John 
Holmes, 227 Main street, Merchantville. An eighth man, James Lodge, Brooklawn, was questioned and released as a material witness.

Rossi, Branco, Goodman and Holmes were released in $500 bail each for the Grand Jury by Justice of the Peace Samuel Rudolph. Prosecutor Orlando said he would demand bail of $1000 each for release of Girard and Marino.

Refused to Sell

Lodge told the detectives he was approached to sell the slips but that he refused to take them.

Doran stated that Marino insists he is the operator of the lottery, but the county detective chief declared that Marino was merely trying to "take the rap" for Palese.

City and county authorities have been aware of the existence of the new racket for about 10 days. Murphy and Koerner had been detailed specifically by Commissioner Mary W. Kobus to investigate and break up the ring. The two sleuths followed numerous suspects, watching 
where they went, and getting a list of stops and suspects.

The trap was sprung when Marino, Girard, Chapman and Holmes were arrested on South Centre street in Merchantville as they sat in a parked car. The car, according to Doran, bore license plates issued to Palese.

Merchantville police and Doran arrested the four and seized bingo numbers slips. Murphy and Koerner also arrested Branco, while County Detectives James Mulligan, Elmer Mathis, Wilfred Dube and Casmir Wojtkowiak arrested Goodman.

Doran admitted that the automobile in which the four men were found was the property of Palese. A search was made at the home of Palese, on Fourth street, near Spruce, but nothing indicating he was connected with the racket was found, Doran said. But Doran added he has information which leads him to believe Palese was the head of the new racket..

Camden Courier-Post * February 15, 1938

Bingo Big-Shot?

Frank Palese Surrenders In Racket Quiz
Lent Car to Others He Says; Denies Charges

Frank Palese, 26, of 900 South Fourth street, wanted as one of the alleged operators of the new "bingo" lottery racket, surrendered yesterday to County Detective Wilfred Dube.

Palese had been sought during the weekend as the "big shot" of the racket after Joseph Marino, Harry Girard and five others were seized in the case.

All but Marino and Girard were released in $500 bail before the surrender of Palese.

Prosecutor Orlando fixed bail at $1000 each for Palese, Marino and Girard. Carl Kisselman, retained as counsel for the defendants, said he would provide the amount for them.

According to Palese he simply lent his automobile to Marino and Girard, who were in Palese's car when arrested, and he knows nothing whatever about' the lottery charge.

Among those out on bail is Fred Rossi, former boxer, who used the ring name of Pee-Wee Ross


3 Men and Woman Nabbed

Police Judge Mariano overruled police objections and postponed until Wednesday morning the hearing of three men and a woman arrested as the result of a gambling raid at 1149 Lansdowne avenue Saturday.

The request for a delay was made by Benjamin Asbell, defense lawyer, who said he had been retained only late Saturday and had lacked an opportunity to prepare his case.

Sergeant Gus Koerner and Detective Thomas Murphy, Jr., asked that the case go on at once, saying they had enough evidence to hold the suspects for the grand jury. Murphy said Safety Director Kobus had asked that the hearing be held yesterday.

Judge Mariano, however, said that Asbell's request was not unusual and that attorneys should be allowed time to obtain their evidence or witnesses. He continued the same bail which police set when the four were arrested.

Lines to Tracks Seized

Koerner, Murphy and Patrolman James McLaughlin said that horse race betting was conducted on the second floor of the Lansdowne avenue building, the ground floor of which is occupied by a grocery.

Several racing forms and four telephones with two direct wires to tracks now in operation were seized, according to Koerner and Murphy. The police first arrested Roland Flynn, 36, of 589 Carman street; Neil Zeidman, 43, of 1064 Langham avenue, and James O'Donal, 27, of 1119 Empire avenue, and held them in $1000 bail for violating the State 
crimes act.

Later Mrs. Rose Koplin, 37, who lives in an apartment over the store, was taken into custody on the same charge and held in $500 bail. Mrs. Koplin's brother, Milton Katz, posted cash bail for her release.

Katarina Pologruto, 420 West street, posted bail for O'Donal, who also is known as O'Donnell, and Flynn. Frank Davalos, saloonkeeper, of 441 Benson street, furnished bail for Zeidman.

Murphy reported that $700 had been bet on race horses at the establishment up until 3.30 p. m., Saturday, the time of the raid.

Camden Courier-Post
February 21, 1938

Broadway - Benson Street
Pine Street - Thomas Murphy
Gus Koerner - James McLaughlin
Dominick DiPilla - Anthony DiPilla
Nicholas Dentino - Edward Bock


Camden Courier-Post * February 25, 1938

Slips Representing $138 Play Reported Taken in Jackson Street House 

Two men and a woman were arrested and numbers slips representing play of $138 were seized in a raid on a house at 1039 Jackson Street yesterday.

Detectives described the place as “drop” for the slips and said they believed they were left, there by writers and delivered to "banks" at night. 

Those arrested gave names and addresses of Joseph Orlowski, 31, of the Jackson Street address; Mary Stanska, 29, of 1275 Chase Street, and John Pawela, 21, of 1564 Louis Street. All were charged with violating the State Crimes Act pertaining to gambling.

The raid was made by City Detectives Thomas Murphy, Jr., and Gustav Koerner and Policemen James McLaughlin and Raymond Carson. Besides the slips, the detectives seized $52.97 in money lying on a table.

Murphy said he and Koerner have been watching, the place for several days and raided it today when they saw several persons enter. Those arrested are being held in $2000 bail for a hearing in police court tomorrow. 


Camden Courier-Post * July 1, 1941


Three men, two of them wearing handkerchiefs over their faces, held up a gasoline station attendant at Broadway and Lansdowne Avenue yesterday and escaped with $80, according to detectives.

The police said the men entered the place at 2 a.m. and pointed guns at Robert Horner, 17, of 107 Penn street. The man who did not have his face covered tried to hide his identity by holding his handkerchief to his face.

Horner told Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner two of the men were in their shirt sleeves while the third wore a tan coat. William Risley, of 1380 Lansdowne Avenue, watchman at a nearby bag factory, said he saw the men "acting suspiciously" in the neighborhood and telephoned police headquarters.

Clearfield PA Progress * March 31, 1944
Vincent Scola

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1944


Camden Courier-Post * October 9, 1944

Tennie G. Hutchison
North 22nd Street
Eleanor Knighton
Rev. Newton C. Conant
Gustav Koerner
John Trout
August Pflederer
George Ellis
Peter B. Carter
Veronica Hutchison
Tennie G. Hutchison Jr.
Kenneth Hutchison
Douglas Hutchison
George H. Hutchison
Clinton Street

Camden Evening Courier - March 23, 1945
Leonard Andruzza

Camden Evening Courier - March 23, 1945
Gustav Koerner - Clifford Carr
"Cappy" Roman
Oliver Morgan

Charles Cooke - Joseph Putek
Wilfred Dube - Gene R. Mariano
Leonard Lutz - Stephen Burns
James McBride
Romeo deSanctis
Leon Grenkwicz
Mt. Ephraim Avenue 
Kaighn Avenue
Decatur Street

Trenton Evening Times
January 28, 1947

Gustav A. Koerner

Camden Courier-Post - November 21, 1947
Click on Image to Enlarge
Briggs Cafe - Angelino Martelli - Lansdowne Avenue - Mary Deregowski
Charles Beyer - Dominic Maione - Stella Briggs -
South 5th Street
South 8th Street - Gustav Koerner - John Trout - Milton E. Cahill
William Schultz - Joseph J. Lesniewski - William Szymborski - Louis Street  
Mount Vernon Street
- James Caputi - William Prucella - John V. Wilkie
 Joseph Gimello -
Washington Street 

Indiana, Pennsylvania Gazette - December 21, 1947

Camden Courier-Post * November 29, 1949

NAMED CHIEF of the Camden police department today, Captain Gustav Koerner, a 26-year veteran of the department and one time baseball player, is shown receiving the congratulations of Public Safety Director Aaron. A native of Camden, Chief Koerner succeeds George W. Frost, who resigned Jan. 1, 1948. Captain Samuel Johnson had been acting chief since then.

Gustav A. Koerner - George W. Frost
E. George Aaron - Mary MacClennan 
John Garrity - Walter Mattison
Albert Cornog - Edward Carroll
Samuel Johnson - Walter Rowand
Frank Call - George E. Brunner
Angelo Malandra - James J. Mulligan
Bart A. Sheehan - Nathaniel Petit
David S. Rhone - Mitchell Cohen
Charles T. Humes


Bradford, Pennsylvania Era December 22, 1947


Berkshire, Massachusetts 

Evening Eagle

December 17, 1951


City Hall - 1952 - Chief Koerner & New Police Officers
Click on Image for Enlarged and Full Sized View

From Left: First one is probably Frank Mignone, then Tom Kelly, Peter Paull, Charles Kocher Sr., Chief Koerner
Photo courtesy of Charles Kocher

Camden Courier-Post
February 2, 1952

Thomas Lauria
Edward Shapiro
Gustav A. Koerner
Van Hook Street


Camden Courier-Post * February 2, 1952



Thomas Lauria - Edward Shapiro - John Moffa - Gustav A. Koerner - Thomas Murphy - Van Hook Street

Camden Courier-Post

July 31, 1952

Kaighn School
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Roman Catholic Church
Hollingshead Fire
Gustav Koerner
William Van Pfefferle
Robert Wonsetler
Austin Marks
Henry Zook
Joseph C. Ragone
Walter T. Dilsworth
William Warren
Eugene Alston
Max Dippner
Rev. Michael Argullo - Rev. Richard Gerbino
Washington School
Brown Foundry Corporation







Camden Courier-Post
October 9, 1952

Vincent Conley
Clifford Del Rossi
Gustav Koerner
Thomas Murphy
Woodley Snyder
Rachel Weiner
Kaighn Avenue
Wesley Zion A.M.E. Church
William Spearman
Julius Snyder



Camden Courier-Post * October 1, 1953

THE TWISTED WRECKAGE of a monoplane which crashed int0 Sylvan Street in South Camden on Wednesday night after plunging out of control is examined by police and and firemen following removal of the pilot, William A. Kruesser, 26, of 875 Fairview Street. Doctors say Kruesser, though seriously injured, would recover. Hundreds of persons witnessed the crash

William A. Kreusser Jr. - Fairview Street - Sylvan Street - Albert Buzine - William Vogel
Joseph Ballinghoff - Engine Company 10 - Gustav A. Koerner - John Dugan - William A. Kreusser Sr.
Jane Skare- Mrs. Helen Campbell - Dolores Campbell - Mrs. Mary Mulbrier - Mrs. Margaret Devlin
South 8th Street - South 9th Street - Evers Park - Margaret Kreusser 

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Times

June 17, 1954

Gustav Koerner
Thomas P. Murphy
Harry Brown



Merchants Laud Crackdown On Street Peddlers
Nuisance Eliminated, They Say, Praising Action by Police

Camden City's police crackdown on the illegal operations of pretzel vendors and other type peddlers in the mid-city business area was hailed today by the merchants.

All merchants contacted agreed the problem has been eliminated and expressed hope the regulation would continue to be enforced, particularly through the Christmas shopping period.

The police action was praised, by each merchant. Many had complained previously against the vendors standing in store doorways or in front of display windows selling their wares such as pretzels, sewing bags, produce, etc.

Photos Tell Story

On October 18, The Courier-Post published several photographs of teen-age children hawking pretzels on the Camden Lits sidewalks and at the doorways during the heavy downpour of rain the previous Saturday night.

The problem was brought to the attention of Police Chief Gus Koerner, who ordered police to enforce the city ordinance on peddlers which requires they keep moving at all times.

Among the merchants commenting the problem has been elim­inated, and praising the police for their cooperation were: G.L. McLean, manager, F. W. Woolworth store; Jack D. Neilson, assistant manager, J. C. Penney store; S. G. Hall, manager W. T.  Grant store; Albert Rose, manager of Crawford Clothes; Furman Shaw, of F. L. Shaw, jewelers; Miss Leah Lipman, manager of the Deb Shop; Charles Reilly, assistant manager of Horn & Hardart Restaurant; a spokesman for Robert F. Hurley, of Bond Wine & Liquor store; Paul Rapp, manager of L. and M. Hausner cigar store.

Several weeks ago 19 merchants in the Broadway and Federal Street area signed a Camden County Chamber of Commerce petition urging city officials to take action on the peddler nuisance and shortly afterwards a Chamber delegation met personally with Director of Public Safety Aaron to present a direct appeal for relief.

Camden Courier-Post - December 11, 1957


Convention Hall Roma Cafe
Willard C. Schriver Gustav Koerner
Anthony Skolski Sgt. Ray Smith
Anthony Marino Joseph Mardino
Ernie Santaniello Art Sharp
Andy Fanelli Nick Tedeschi
Anthony Galiozzi Anthony Moffa
George McKenzie Charles Kocher
Mario Ferrari Peter Paull
Edward Yeager Walter Busko
Thomas Kelly Douglas Holmes
Frank H. Ryan Royden Street

Camden Local 35,
Patrolmen's Benevolent Association


December 12, 1957

Willard C. Shriver 
William Van Pfefferle
Gustave Koerner
William Yeager
William Schultz

John W. March
Camden Foundry Co.
Delaware Avenue
Elm Street

Camden Courier-Post - December 28, 1957

Trenton Evening Times - July 29, 1960

Alfred Pierce - Edward Garrity - Frank Italiano - William Shepp - Frank Abbott - Gustav Koerner

Camden Courier-Post * August 24, 1963
Gold Badges To Be Given 15 City Cops

Fifteen retired Camden City policemen will be honored by the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, Local 35, Wednesday night at the Police and Fire Club, 1175 Whitman Avenue.

Police Chief William H. Neale, will present awards. The awards will be gold retirement badges mounted in wallets. The men receiving them will have served 20 or more years.

According to Patrolman Robert Mentz, PBA secretary, this is the first time since 1960 that retirement badges have been presented. The ceremonies will follow the organization’s business meeting.

Awards will be made to: Edward Suski, Harry Cattell, Clifford DelRossi, Frank Gutherman, John Houston, Thomas Kauffman, William Stibi, Leon Feltz, Russell Young, Henry Leutz, George Ellis, Everett Joslin, Ralph Cline, John Kaighn and former Chief Gustav Koerner.