GUILIO MARCOZZI  was born in Ascoli Piceno, Italy on March 5th, 1878. It is probable that he was related to Bishop Giuseppe Marcozzi, who was born in Ascoli Piceno on March 24, 1873, and who served as the Bishop of Calvi e Teano from August of 1926 until his death in April of 1940.

Guilio Marcozzi came to America in 1905 but did not stay. In 1913 he retuned with his young wife, the former Philomena Giardini, aboard the steamship Hamburg, sailing from Genoa, Italy in September of 1913. By 1917 they had settled at 317 Line Street in Camden with his wife Philomena, son David, and daughter Louise; daughters Catherine and Ida would follow. Over the nest 25 years Guilio Marcozzi would live at 317, 319, and 321 Line Street. 

Sadly, in June of 1933 he was responsible for his wife's death when she was cut on the arm during a domestic dispute. Marcozzi was arrested for murder, however, within days the charge was reduced to manslaughter, and by 1935 the case had been put to rest. Guilio Marcozzi worked for the city of Camden's public works and highway departments as a laborer in the late 30s and 1940s. He was still living in South Camden as late as 1947, sharing the house at 319 Pine Street with his son David, then a purchasing agent. David Marcozzi later moved to Haddon Heights, NJ.


Built in 1899 in Germany for the Hamburg-America Line. Originally in Far East service. Transferred to Hamburg-New York trade in 1904. She was later used in Mediterranean-New York service. Interned in USA during World War I, confiscated in 1917 when United States declared war on Germany. Renamed as the SS Red Cross (1917), SS Powhatan (1917), SS New Rochelle (1920), SS Hudson (1921), SS President Fillmore (1922). Scrapped in the USA in 1928.


Camden Courier-Post * June 26, 1933

On Deathbed, She Orders 4 Children to Say She Fell on Stairs
Woman Slashed by Broken Decanter; Man Faces Murder Charge Today

A death-bed command of a South Camden mother to her four children to stick to their story failed of its motive last night and the woman's husband was arrested on suspicion of murder.

The charge will be changed today, police said, to one of murder.

"Say only what I say, that I fell down the steps."

Mrs. Philomena Marcozzi, 4l, died in West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital shortly after she made that remark; at 4 p.m. yesterday. She bled to death from a severe cut on her left arm.

At her bedside were her children, Josephine, 15; Ida, 13; Louise, 17, and David, 19.

Cops' Suspicions Aroused Nearby

Out of sight of the dying woman, stood Detectives Clifford Del Rossi and Fiore Troncone.

Their suspicions aroused, the sleuths renewed their investigation. As a result the woman's husband, Guilio Marcozzi, 55, of 321 Line Street was put in the city jail last night, charged with the death of his wife.

Mrs. Marcozzi was cut with the jagged edge of a broken wine decanter, during an argument with her husband over the cleaning of some hardshelled crabs.

But it wasn't the children who said that.

A neighbor, Mrs. Ida Lupini, 31, of 311 Line Street, was in the Marcozzi home when the children returned Sunday night from a crabbing trip to Sea Side Heights. She told police, they declared, that she saw the children jubilantly deposit their catch on the kitchen table.     

Then she watched, alarmed and afraid to leave, as Marcozzi told his wife to "throw them out."

The wife refused.

The husband insisted, and when his wife told him he should clean the crabs, he grasped the wine decanter and struck the mother over the temple, Mrs. Lupini said.

Cut by Jagged 'Glass'

The decanter broke. Grasping the long, neck of the bottle, Marcozzi continued to attack his wife. He swung the jagged edge towards her breast, and to protect, herself she raised her arm.

The broken bottle cut deeply into her skin. An artery was severed.

Then the children rushed, the mother to West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital.

That is the story Mrs. Lupini told: according to Acting Chief of Police John W. Golden and Assistant Prosecutor Rocco Palese.

The mother told hospital attaches she fell down the steps of her, home, cutting her arm on the broken bits of a bottle she was carrying at the             time.    

The children, hearing this story, corroborated her.

Wife Dying- Man at Work

The father failed to appear at the hospital. Police were forced to get him at his work yesterday, according to Detective Joseph Carpani, when his wife was dying.

Last night he denied the crime. He said he was not at home when his wife suffered the fatal injury.

But his children, confronted with Mrs. Lupini's tale, broke down and confessed, according to police.

Eighteen hours of almost constant questioning of the Lupini woman by Detectives Carpani, Del Rossi and Troncone solved the tragedy. All three were complimented last night by Acting Police Chief John W. Golden.

Camden Courier-Post * June 28, 1933

Lack of Intent Changes It From Murder to Manslaughter
'Yes, I Did It,' He Admits, After Grilling Smashes Accident Hoax

Charged with manslaughter in the death of his wife, Guilio Marcozzi, 55, is expected to be released from the county jail today in $5000 bail, for action of grand jury at its July 13 session.

Marcozzi was held for the grand jury yesterday after he confessed slashing his wife with a broken wine jug during an argument Sunday night over some crabs.

The wife, Philomena, 40, 321 Line Street, died in West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital Monday afternoon, after making a vain attempt to shield her husband during her last minutes, of life.

She insisted· she received the long, jagged cut on her left arm when she fell down the cellar steps at her home, cutting herself on a broken bottle she carried,

'Yes, I Did It'

This hoax was repeated by the woman's husband, and four children, until yesterday morning. Then at 9.10 a. m., ten minutes after detectives resumed their interrogation of Marcozzi, he suddenly broke down and sobbed:

Guilio Marcozzi, right, 55, of 321 Line street, being arraigned before Judge Pancoast yesterday a short time after he confessed to police that he had fatally wounded his wife during an argument Sunday night. The wife, Philomena, died in West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital Monday. Marcozzi's attorney, Gene Mariano, is shown at his left, thumbs in vest.

“Yes, I did it.”

After a moment's pause, he steadied himself, and continued.

"I did it. We got into an argument over some crabs. I don't like crabs around the place. She made a kick at me and I picked up a bottle and threatened to hit her and she threw her arm up and that is when she got cut."

A half hour later, he stood silently in police court, his face showing the ravages of worry, as Judge Pancoast committed him without bail to the county jail pending Grand Jury action.

He did not enter a plea to the formal charge of murder, nor was one asked of him. Neither did he augment his confession with further details.

He was taken later to the office of Prosecutor Clifford A. Baldwin, for a stenographic statement. After talking to Marcozzi and detectives who investigated the case, Prosecutor Baldwin announced he would change the complaint from murder to a charge of manslaughter.

Baldwin said:

"So far as we know, there was no premeditation at all in this case, nor was there any intent to kill. Marcozzi unfortunately struck his wife during the heat of an argument without, I believe, any thought of killing her. Of course, if some new evidence is unraveled to decree otherwise, then the grand jury will take it into consideration when it returns an indictment."

Camden Courier-Post * April 29, 1935
Harry Benzuk - Guilio Marcozzi

Camden Courier-Post * June 1, 1939

Temporary Laborers Dismissed, While Men Ousted by Hartmann Are Reinstated

Three dismissals, three promotions and four reinstatements and two new hirings were announced yesterday by City Commissioner Henry Magin, director of public works.

Dismissed were Eugeni Gatti, 208 Washington street; Guilio Marcozzi, 321 Line Street, and George Pollard, 336 Stevens street, all temporary laborers at $4 a day. James Carr, 1409 Princess avenue, a laborer on asphalt repairs at $6 a day, is reclassified as general foreman of the department, effective today, at $2100 a year, subject to Civil Service promotional examination. John Dziekanski, 1414 Mt. Ephraim avenue, a laborer in the building bureau at $6 a day, is reclassified as architectural draftsman at $2100, also subject to examination. Oscar Moore, 543 Washington street, Ninth Ward freeholder, will receive $6 instead of $5 a day as a  temporary laborer.

Reinstated were Lawrence Abbott, 910 South Third Street, a brother of Frank Abbott, deputy to Mayor Brunner, as a temporary laborer at $5 a day; Anthony Carrier, 416 Benson Street, a temporary laborer at $4 a day; James Jackson, 1117 Lawrence street, and Otis Still, 261 North Eleventh street. All were discharged by Frank J. Hartmann, Magin's predecessor.

Camden Courier-Post * June 2, 1939

8th Ward Democratic Club Aide Replaces Scheurman; Magin Hires 16

The hiring of Pete Samko, secretary of the Eighth Ward Democratic Club, as a $1380-a-year clerk in the health bureau, was announced yesterday by City Commissioner E. George Aaron. He replaces Frederick Scheurman, of 2969 Hartford road, former Fourteenth ward Republican committeeman.

Commissioner Henry Magin announced the hiring of 16 temporary laborers for the Water and Highway departments which come under his Department of Public Works to

The jobs, Magin said, are all replacements for persons who have been dismissed since he took office. He explained that 102 have been laid off during the period and 66, including yesterday's hiring, put on to replace them.

Three of the 16 will be assigned to the water bureau, Magin said, and the others to the highway department. Those hired for the former department and their salaries are: James McSparrin, 939 Elm street, $1690 annually; Oscar Banks, of 1704 Master Street, $5 a day, and Lawrence DiPilla, of 229 Mt. Vernon street, $4 a day. 

The others given jobs at $4 a day are: Frank Armstrong, of 2617 Cramer street; Thomas I. Cook, of 530 North Front street; Albert Costanzo, of 211 Beckett street; Roberto Dianigi, of 607 North Front street; Samuel Lectino, of 421 Stevens street; Joseph Lynskey, of 643 Grant street; William Porter, of 436 Berkley street and Thomas Richter, of 423 Pearl street, David Schwartz, of 812 South Sixth street; Fred Seither, of 3015 River avenue; Albert Thompson, of 421 North Front street; Guiseppe Trulli, of 550 South Fourth street, and Michael Wozniak, of 1446 South Tenth street

Hired, Replaced

Employment of two new laborers and reinstatement of two others was announced Wednesday by Commissioner Magin. Three employees who worked under former Commissioner Frank J. Hartmann were dismissed. The pay of all was $4 per day.

The new men are George Poole, of 276 Senate street, and William Weidman, 1041 North Thirty-fourth. Reinstated were James Jackson, 1117 Lawrence, and Otis Still, 261 North Eleventh. Those let out were Eugene Gatti, 208 Washington; Guilio Marcozzi, 321 Line, and George Pollard, 336 Stevens.


The Press of Atlantic City - December 7, 2007


CATRAMBONE, JOSEPHINE (Marcozzi)- passed away on Wednesday evening after a brief illness. She was born on October 16, 1917 in Camden. She was married to the late Dr. Anthony R. Catrambone in 1941. Josephine made their home in Haddon Township with her husband and son, Richard. She moved to Vineland in 1969. Josephine was a member of St. Padre Pio Parish. She was also a long time officer and member of the Vineland Women's Club and a volunteer for the Cumberland County Red Cross blood drives. Josephine enjoyed cooking, gardening, playing bridge, and summers in Ocean City. She especially loved spending time with her three grandchildren. She is survived by her son, Richard Catrambone of Ocean City; her three grandchildren, Natalie of Columbus, OH, Ricky of Ocean City and Carla Catrambone of Vineland; her former daughter-in-law, Elaine Catrambone of Vineland; and several nieces and nephews. She is predeceased by her loving husband, Dr. Anthony R. Catrambone in 1992 and her sisters Louise DeMarco and Ida Hess, and her brother David Marcozzi. Church Visitation will be held on Monday, December 10th, from 10 am to 11 am followed by the Funeral Liturgy at 11 am from St. Padre Pio Parish At Our Lady Of Pompeii Church, 4680 Dante Avenue, Vineland. Entombment will follow in Sacred Heart Mausoleum, Vineland. Arrangements are under the supervision of Rone Funeral Service, 1110 East Chestnut Avenue, Vineland. Donations: Women's Club of Vineland, P. O. Box 61, Vineland, NJ 08362-0061; American Red Cross, Cumberland County Chapter, 724 Plum Street, Vineland, NJ 08360; St. Padre Pio Parish, 4680 Dante Avenue, Vineland, NJ 08361-6810; New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home, 524 N. W. Blvd., Vineland, NJ 08360. To send online condolences please visit our website at:

Published in The Press of Atlantic City on 12/7/2007.