GEORGE B. ANDERSON was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as a replacement extra man with Engine Company 2. He took the place of William S. Davis, who had been promoted to Engineer.  He resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden's Fourth Ward. 

According to the Census of 1900, George B. Anderson was born in March of 1840 in New Jersey. He may well have been the son of John and Delina Anderson, who were living in Camden's North Ward in 1850.

When the Civil War came, George B. Anderson answered his nation's call. On April 25, 1861 George B. Anderson enlisted in the Union Army as a Private. He was assigned to Company E, Fourth Infantry Regiment New Jersey on April 27, 1861. Prior to leaving Camden for the Army, he got married.

The Fourth Regiment--Militia, was commanded by Colonel Matthew Miller, Jr., serving under him were Lieutenant Colonel Simpson R. Stroud and Major Robert C. Johnson. This regiment was mustered into the U. S. service at Trenton, April 27, 1861, to serve for three months, and left the state for Washington, D. C., on May 3, with 37 commissioned officers and 743 non-commissioned officers and privates, a total of 777. On the evening of May 5 it reached the capital, and on the 9th it was ordered to go into camp at Meridian hill, where, within a few days the entire brigade was encamped, and where, on the 12th, it was honored by a visit from the president, who warmly complimented the appearance of the troops. On the evening of May 23 it joined the 2nd and 3d regiments and about midnight took up the line of march in silence for the bridge that spanned the Potomac. This bridge was crossed at 2 o'clock on the morning of the 24th, the 2nd was posted at Roach's spring, and the 3d and 4th about half a mile beyond on the Alexandria road. On July 16, a guard was detailed from the 4th for a section of the Orange & Alexandria railroad, which it was important to hold; one company from the regiment guarded the Long bridge; still another was on duty at Arlington mills; and the remainder of the regiment, together with the 2nd, was ordered to proceed to Alexandria. On July 24, the term of service having expired, the 4th returned to New Jersey and was mustered out at Trenton, July 31, 1861. The total strength of the regiment was 783, and it lost by discharge 6, by promotion 2, by death 2 and by desertion 7, mustered out, 766.

George B. Anderson was among those who mustered out with Company E, Fourth Infantry Regiment New Jersey on July 31, 1861 at Trenton, NJ. 
After a brief time home in Camden, George B. Anderson re-enlisted, on September 21, 1861 as a private in Company C, 10th Infantry Regiment New Jersey. This regiment was organized under the provisions of an act of Congress, approved July 22, 1861, and by authority issued by the war department direct to private individuals resident of the state, and not in any way under the control or supervision of the state authorities. Under the authority thus given, recruiting was commenced and the organization soon completed. It was then accepted by the war department as an independent organization, having been designated the "Olden egion." The regiment went into camp at Beverly, New Jersey, and from thence proceeded to Washington on December 26, 1861, with 35 officers, 883 non-commissioned officers and privates, a total of 918. It went into camp at Camp Clay on the Bladensburg turnpike, a mile from Washington. On January 29, 1862, the regiment was transferred to the state authorities and it was then thoroughly reorganized and designated the 10th regiment. The greater part of its early service was performed in and around Washington, having been assigned there for provost duty.

George B. Anderson received a disability discharge from Company C, 10th Infantry Regiment New Jersey on October 5, 1862 at Washington, DC. He subsequently returned home to Camden and his wife Elizabeth.

The 1870 Census shows George B. Anderson, his wife Elizabeth, son George, 5, and daughter Elizabeth, 8 months as living in Camden's North Ward. He was then working in an iron foundry. Not long afterwards, it appears that he moved to South Camden.

According to department records George B. Anderson lived at 419 Broadway during his time with the Camden Fire Department. He had worked as an engineer, that is to say in the parlance of the day, he was an operator of steam powered engines. As stated above, he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as an extra man with Engine Company 2. George B. Anderson resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden's Fourth Ward. 

George B. Anderson had left the police department by May of 1877. He had by then moved back to North Camden.

City Directories for 1878 and 1881, as well as the 1880 Census show George B. Anderson and family at 114 Elm Street in North Camden. George B. Anderson had begun working as a machinist, a trade he would follow for the rest of his days. Two children were living at home, George B. Anderson Jr., then 15 according to the census, and Emma G., 4 years old. Sadly, daughter Elizabeth had died. Two more children would come between 1880 and 1900, one of whom would survive the century, their names, however, are not known as of this writing. 

The family had moved to 532 Cedar Street when the 1882-1883 City Directory was compiled. By the following year, they had moved to 929 Point Street. By the latter half of 1885 the Andersons had moved to 60 Erie Street. In March of 1887 George B. Anderson had temporarily separated from his wife. He was still living at 60 Erie Street. George B. Anderson Jr., who had worked in a woolen mill when the 1880 Census was taken, is listed in the 1887 City Directory, living with his father at 60 Erie Street and working as a painter. 

The 1888-1889 shows the Andersons having moved to 940 North 2nd Street. George B. Anderson Sr. was operating a cigar store there, while his son was still working as a painter. This venture lasted at least into 1890.

The 1890 Veteran's Census shown George B. Anderson living at 220 Erie Street. He was suffering from rheumatism at the time of the Census.

The 1893-1894 City Directory shows that George B. Anderson had returned to working as a machinist. He and his wife were then living at 929 North 2nd Street. George B. Anderson Jr. was working as a painter and had moved to 2712 Master Street in Stockton (renamed Cramer Street in the early 1900s after Stockton was merged into Camden). George B. Anderson, his wife and daughter Emma were still at 929 North 2nd Street in 1896 and in 1897. In 1896 George Jr. was living nearby, at 604 Point Street, he is not however, listed in Camden at all in the 1897 Directory. When the 1898 Directory was compiled, George and Elizabeth Anderson were still at 929 North 2nd Street, but apparently Emma Anderson had married and moved on. George B. Anderson Jr. was living at 126 Erie Street with his wife, Mary V., working as a painter in Philadelphia.

The 1898 Camden City Directory shows that George B. Anderson had moved to 128 Erie Street. He was still at that address when the Census was enumerated on June 14, 1900. At the time of the Census enumeration, the Andersons had been married for 39 years, and of their five children, three were still living. George B. Anderson was working as a machinist. 

George B. Anderson passed away on December 27, 1901 and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery. His widow, Elizabeth H. Anderson, was approved for her widows pension in late January of 1902.

Philadelphia Inquirer - March 21, 1874
John H. Jones - Col. William H. Hempsing - 
John Dunn - John McCormick - George W. Gardner Joseph Pike- William Hartman - Isaac Hires
George B. Anderson - George A. Tenner
Benjamin Smith - Patrick Gallagher
Thomas Heffernan - Joseph H. Sloan
Charles Smith - Frank Souders
F. Chamberlain - Isaac Ferris

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 2, 1877
James M. Cassady - Frank S. Jones  
George B. Anderson

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 2, 1877

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 22, 1898

William Ilgenfritz
Jacob N. Wise
Charles Gordon
Victor Kline
Charles E. Wilson
Bessie Hughes
Mrs. Marshall
Cooper B. Hatch
John Foster
Harry C. Kramer
J. WIllard Morgan
Charles Baron
George Cooper
Harry Miller
George Anderson
Edward Hartmann
James Ware
Joseph Nowrey
Mickle Street
Delaware Avenue
Market Street
South 9th Street
Ferry Avenue
Vine Street
Front Street
Arch Street