ELIAS KAIGHN was the third mayor of Camden. Born in Clarksboro NJ on September 23, 1799 he moved to Camden around 1820, locating at Kaighn's Point.

Elias Kaighn served as Mayor from 1838 to 1840, and served on City Council before and after that. he also was on the Board of Chosen Freeholders and on the old Camden township committee. He also served Camden as a volunteer fireman, serving with the Fairmount Fire Company as early as 1831. Richard Fetters was another of the members that year,

Elias Kaighn was a blacksmith, and lived at the southeast corner of South 2nd Street and Kaighn's Avenue. He had a foundry at South 2nd Street and Stevens Street. which he sold to John H. Dialogue in 1854. He then established new works which were situated on Mechanic Street between Front and Second. Elias Kaighn became a plow maker and his 
"Kaighn Ploughs" were in great demand. 

Elias Kaighn appears in the first Camden City Directory, publish in 1863, at 1210 South 2nd Street. Elias Kaighn passed away on November 4, 1864. He was succeeded in business after his death by Joseph R. Ellis, who kept the high reputation of the agricultural implements made there intact until Ellis died in March of 1880. 

The History of Camden County New Jersey
George Reeser Prowell - 1886

Philadelphia Public Ledger
September 26, 1839


Philadelphia Public Ledger
October 27, 1841