EDWARD T. JAMES was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in 1871 as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company, known in more recent times as Ladder Company 1, to take the place of Robert S. Bender, who had been named Chief of the Fire Department.  

Edward T. James was born in Pennsylvania around 1832. He and his wife Caroline had moved to New Jersey prior to 1855, when their son Wesley B. James was born. Edward James worked as a box maker and as a cooper to support his family. He lived at 109 North 8th Street during his time as a firefighter, and stayed at that address until his passing. Edward T. James served as a volunteer fireman in the late 1850s, as a member of Weccacoe Hose Company No. 2, 

In the election of March, 1870 Edward T. James, a Republican, was elected to the position of Trustee of Camden's cemetery on Haddon Avenue (known in modern times as Old Camden Cemetery) and to the position of Election Judge, as reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer of March 10, 1870. In 1871 he began work at the Browning Dye Works.

As stated above, Edward T. James was appointed to the Fire Department in September of 1871. He resigned from service with the Camden Fire Department on May 6, 1873.

The 1880 Census shows the following children at home, Wesley B., Mary E., Edward T., Forest, and Abraham Lincoln James. Another son, George James, appears to have married and moved to South Camden. 

Edward T. James died on March 11, 1886 as a result of internal injuries sustained during a fall down his basement steps. 

In March of 1892, son Abraham L., known throughout his life as A. Lincoln James, was appointed to the Camden Police Department. 

When the Census was taken in 1900 his widow Caroline and sons Wesley, Edward T. Jr., and Forest were all living at at 109 North 8th Street. Son A. Lincoln James and his family lived at 122 North 8th Street

Edward T. James had been an active member of Camden Council, No. 7, of the Order of United American Mechanics, which had been instituted July 29, 1847, when John R. Thompson, William Rianhardt, Robert P. Smith, Shelbourne S. Kennedy, David Surran, William P. Murphy, William C. Monroe, Charles M. Thompson, John S. Long, William A. Davis, Charles S. Sturgis, Wesley P. Murray and Richard Jones met in Starr's Hall, and were constituted as Camden Council, No. 7, by State Councilor James Cappuck and State Council Secretary George S. Willits. They soon removed to Bontemps' Hall, and many years afterward to United Order of American Mechanics' Hall, where they now meet. Camden was the oldest council of the order in the city, and exercised large influence in the State, and furnished, among many others, these State Councilors, John S. Read, William D. Middleton and Edward T. James. The officers in 1886 were as follows: Junior Ex-Councilor, Edwin A. Stone ; Councilor, Thaddeus B. Andrews; Vice- Councilor, Joseph B. Elfreth; Recording Secretary, A. Benjamin Sparks ; Financial Secretary, Joseph L. Bright ; Treasurer, Abner Sparks ; Inductor, F. W. Armstrong ; Examiner, James H. Armington ; Inside Protector, Merritt H. Pike ; and Outside Protector, Ballinger Smick. Edward S. Andrews, father of the above-mentioned Thaddeus B. Andrews and at one time a member of the Camden Fire Department, was also a member. 

A. Lincoln James retired from the Camden Police Department on December 31, 1932 with the rank of Captain.

Camden Post
March 12, 1886