EDWARD T. SUSKI was born in Pennsylvania around 1900, the son of Thomas and Elenora Suski, Polish immigrants who had come to America from what was then Austria-Hungary shortly before his birth. The Suski was living in Philadelphia when the Census was taken in 1910. Besides Edward and his parents the family included older siblings Florence, Stefina, and Stanley, along with younger sisters Helen and Marion. The family came to Camden at some point after the 1914 Camden City Directory was compiled. The 1919 Directory and 1920 Census both show Thomas Suski and his family living at 1165 Thurman Street in the Whitman Park neighborhood.

Edward Suski joined the Camden Police Department on July 1, 1928. Still a bachelor in April of 1930 when the census was enumerated, he was then renting a  room at 1272 Thurman Street from John and Mary Smiglewski. 

Edward T. Suski married in the early 1930s. His his wife Steffy A. Suski bore a son, Edward Suski Jr. in 1935. The Suskis were living at 1320 Jackson Street in the late 1930s and into 1943. By 1947 Edward Suski and his family were living at 1318 Jackson Street. He had by this time been promoted to Detective. He was still living at that address as late as 1977. His son, Edward T. Suski Jr., practiced law in Camden for many tears, with offices in the 100 block of North 7th Street. Steffy Suski passed away in Absecon NJ on Christmas Day, December 25, 1992.

In the mid-1940s Edward Suski served as vice-president of the Camden Police Beneficial Association. Other officers were Vincent Conley, Archie Reiss, Edward Carroll and John B. Stanton.

Camden Courier-Post - October 16, 1931

Anna Rickowska*

Ash Can Girl 'Out' Again;
Parents Held
Dad Who Took Her Rejoins Mother;
Anna Loses Home

Anna Rickowska* - 11-year-old child who lived for two weeks in an ash can has been driven from home again.

But Anna, profiling in a measure from her experience of only three days ago, will not sleep in an ash can this time.

She told her plight to Mrs. Louise F. Walsh, secretary of the Camden County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Anna's mother and father are under arrest and will face the child today in police court.

     It was only three days ago that Judge Pancoast placed Anna in her father's care. Her mother, he was unfit to care for her. The child had accused her of being a habitual drunkard.

And Anna was pleased by the decision. Her eyes glistening, her blond tresses tumbling about her head, she joyfully walked from the courtroom with her dad- the man who promised to be good to her.

Anna soon was disillusioned. The father and mother, who had been estranged, took up their lives together again. The girl was taken back to the home at 1401 Rose Street, the home she had been ordered from more than two weeks before.

Things became even worse than before. In her story to Mrs. Walsh last night, Anna declared that added to the abuse of a drunken mother was that of her father, Ignatius.

And finally, on Wednesday night, her parents beat her and threw her from the house.

She went· to the home of an aunt, Mrs. Minnie Blake, of 1213 Lansdowne Avenue, who cared for her until last night when she again sought out her benefactor of a few days ago.

According to Sergeant John Garrity and Patrolman Edward Suski, the child's parents had been drinking last night.

Anna remained at the home of the aunt until today and Judge Pancoast will make another decision as to who shall have her custody.

* Correct Spelling is Raczkowski
** Correct address is 1402 Rose Street


May 2, 1934

Camden Courier-Post - March 17, 1936

Orlando Acts as City Cops Free Former Boxer in Payroll Plot

Prisoner Says Ex-Fighter
Got Him in on Theft, Tipped Police

Joseph "Joey" Powell, former boxer who was arrested by city police in connection with a South Camden holdup and subsequently released, was rearrested by county detectives last night.

Powell was taken into custody on orders of Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando, who also ordered the arrest of a second suspect.

Camden police turned the case over to the prosecutor's office after the arraignment of Walter Lewandowski, who was caught in a police trap Friday night as he allegedly attempted to steal a $800 payroll at the Eavenson & Levering Company's plant at Fourth Street and Ferry Avenue. He formerly was employed there.

Two Others Implicated

Lewandowski implicated Powell, 25, of 46 Woodland Avenue, and Leonard Rogalski, 20, of 1219 South Tenth Street, in a plot to steal the payroll, according to Police Chief Arthur Colsey.

Powell thereupon was taken into custody and questioned, then, according to Colsey, he was released temporarily, in his own recognizance, pending further investigation. Rogalski was not arrested until County Detectives James Wren and Casimir Wojtkowiak took him in last night. The same detectives arrested Powell. Both suspects were charged with attempted holdup and robbery and committed to the county jail. 

Lewandoski,24, of 924 Atlantic Avenue, also in county jail, committed without bail by Police Judge Lewis Liberman Saturday.

According to Chief Colsey, Lewandowski made a statement in which he accused Powell of plotting the holdup and making him the “goat”.

"The holdup was Powell's idea” Colsey quoted Lewandowski as saying. "He got me in on it, and Rogalski was supposed to take part, too. Rogalski got “cold feet” though, and Powell sent me in while he was supposed to watch outside.”

"Instead he beat it because he had tipped off the police that the place was going to be held up."

Released After Quiz

On the strength of Lewandowski's statement, patrolman Edward Suski was sent to arrest Powell. After questioning, however, the former pugilist was released.

"We found no evidence against Powell," Colsey explained. "Lewandowski's story looked like an attempt to get himself off easier.

"We turned the case over to the prosecutor's office, as we always do after making an arrest that seems to clear up the case."

Lewandowski was captured by Sergeant Gus Koerner and City Detective Clifford Carr. The detectives were tipped off that the factory office was to be held up and laid in wait for the man.

When Lewandowski showed up, Carr and Koerner pointed revolvers at him. He fled down a stairway and Carr fell on him. The two grappled and the detective says the man pointed a .32 caliber pistol at him. Carr overpowered him with blow on the head with the butt of his revolver.

Camden Courier-Post * August 24, 1963
Gold Badges To Be Given 15 City Cops

Fifteen retired Camden City policemen will be honored by the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, Local 35, Wednesday night at the Police and Fire Club, 1175 Whitman Avenue.

Police Chief William H. Neale, will present awards. The awards will be gold retirement badges mounted in wallets. The men receiving them will have served 20 or more years.

According to Patrolman Robert Mentz, PBA secretary, this is the first time since 1960 that retirement badges have been presented. The ceremonies will follow the organization’s business meeting.

Awards will be made to: Edward Suski, Harry Cattell, Clifford Del Rossi, Frank Gutherman, John Houston, Thomas Kauffman, William Stibi, Leon Feltz, Russell Young, Henry Leutz, George Ellis, Everett Joslin, Ralph Cline, John Kaighn and former Chief Gustav Koerner.