EDWARD ANDREWS was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to to serve as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company in May of 1873, taking the place of Edward T. James. He was removed from service on May 7, 1874 with eight other extra men. Edward Andrews was replaced by Frank Turner. Edward Andrews was a tobacconist and lived at 109 South 5th Street while he was a member of the Camden Fire Department.

Edward Andrews was born in New Jersey around 1833. He was living in Camden's North Ward with his wife Anna and working as a tobacconist when the 1860 Census was enumerated.

When the 1870 Census was taken, Edward Andrews, his wife Anne, and children Abner, Thaddeus, and Sallie lived in Camden's Middle Ward where Edward Andrews worked as a cigar maker. Boarding with the Andrews was John Wesley Yates, 1870. Another child, Ulysses G. Andrews, was born shortly after the census was taken.

The 1880 Census reveals that Edward Andrews was then a widower. He was still living at 109 South 5th Street and working as a cigar maker. His three youngest children were still living with him.

Edward Andrews continued to work as a cigar maker into 1888. He was still living at 109 South 5th Street when the 1890-1891 City Directory was compiled. He then worked as a watchman. Edward S. Andrews died on January 15, 1890 and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden.

Edward Andrews was a member of a number of fraternal organizations in Camden, among them the Order of United American Mechanics, the Seven Wise Men, the Independent Order of Mechanics, and the American Protective Association.

Camden Council, No. 7, of the Order of United American Mechanics was instituted July 29, 1847, when John R. Thompson, William Rianhardt, Robert P. Smith, Shelbourne S. Kennedy, David Surran, William P. Murphy, William C. Monroe, Charles M. Thompson, John S. Long, William A. Davis, Charles S. Sturgis, Wesley P. Murray and Richard Jones met in Starr's Hall, and were constituted as Camden Council, No. 7, by State Councilor James Cappuck and State Council Secretary George S. Willits. They soon removed to Bontemps' Hall, and many years afterward to United Order of American Mechanics' Hall, where they now meet. Camden was the oldest council of the order in the city, and exercised large influence in the State, and furnished, among many others, these State Councilors, John S. Read, William D. Middleton and Edward T. James. The officers in 1886 were as follows: Junior Ex-Councilor, Edwin A. Stone ; Councilor, Thaddeus B. Andrews; Vice-Councilor, Joseph B. Elfreth; Recording Secretary, A. Benjamin Sparks ; Financial Secretary, Joseph L. Bright ; Treasurer, Abner Sparks ; Inductor, F. W. Armstrong ; Examiner, James H. Armington ; Inside Protector, Merrit H. Pike ; and Outside Protector, Ballinger Smick. 

The Seven Wise Men. The Kearney Conclave, No. 1, Heptasophs (or Seven Wise Men), was organized in Test's Hall, October 15, 1869, when George P. Oliver, of Maryland, Supreme Chancellor; Dr. G. Jennings, Supreme Ephor, of Pennsylvania, and others, initiated and installed these members and officers: A., Harry H. Franks; C, S. C. Hankinson; Pro., Charles H. Cook; R. S., Theodore F. Higbee; F. S., Charles M. Baldwin; T., D. W. Neall; I. G., James E. Carter; H., Caleb H. Taylor; W., David B. Sparks; S., Wm. Acton; Wm. Higbee, Wm. Darby, Henry Hollis, Frank Rawlings, Samuel K. Batchelor, Isaiah Morton, John D. Mahoney, Samuel Pine, George Parson, Benjamin F. Richards, George W. Williams, Absalom Dougherty, Henry Rhinehart, Wm. H. McKee, S. R. Hankinson, John Laning, Richard Bozarth, Alexander Simpson, Nathan Jacobs and William Middleton. 

The Independent Order of Mechanics, Enterprise Lodge, No. 3, was instituted January 1, 1883, in Lincoln Hall, with these officers : P. W. M., Ellis W. Woolverton ; W. M., John R. Grubb; J. 51., Charles L. Bennett; S., Solon R. Hankinson ; F. S., Jacob F. Morton ; T., George E. Boyer. The charter members were Ellis W. Woolverton, Charles L. Bennett, George E. Boyer, Edward S. Andrews, J. Harrison Lupton, Baxter Howe, H. C. Thoman, J. S. Casto, George W. Wood, J. P. Becket, Samuel Pine, J. L. Fields, O.K. Lockhart, Thomas Taunier, S.W. Gahan, C. T. Green, Jacob Garst, Charles W. Keen, A. D. Higbfield, H. S. Casto, Charles Walton, William C. Reeves, John R. Grubb, Solon R. Hankinson, William A. Holland, Daniel Nelson, Jacob F. Morton, James M. Way, Joseph B. Wakeman, Charles Mason, E. Hayden, R. J. Long, William Thompson, Stacy Nevins, John Sheldon, George Rianhard, Charles B. Fithian, John W. Garwood, William H. Sommers, Isaac Budd, Harris A. Glover, C. M. Limroth, Charles Reeves, Benjamin H. Connelly and Franklin Hewitt. The lodge met Friday evenings, in Association Hall, Third and Market; in 1886 had one hundred and ninety-seven members, with a reserve fund of nine hundred dollars. Its Past Masters are E. W. Woolverton, J. R. Grubb, C. L. Bennett, S R. Hankinson, G. E. Boyer, W. A. Hallam, Edward S. Andrews, J. H. Lupton, J. F.Morton, Baxter Howe, J. E. Way, S. C. Hankinson, W. J. Bruehl, E. U. West, H. L. Sanders, Frank Hewitt, W. Willits and William Dougherty. The officers in 1886 were S. J\I., William Dougherty; W. M., Lewis McDowell ; J. M., Frederick Bechtell ; S., James M. Way; F. S., Daniel Whittecar ; T., Thomas Hines. 

Edward Andrews grandson, Harry D. Andrews, the son of Ulysses G. Andrews, served as a member of the Camden Fire Department in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s.

Philadelphia Inquirer * September 23, 1884

Claudius W. Bradshaw - Lizzie Furman - Edward S. Andrews

Philadelphia Inquirer * January 19, 1890