ALFRED TRUSTY was born in Camden on July 29, 1886. The 1900 Census shows him living with his mother Theresa Trusty and sisters Viola and Reva at 1858 South 9th Street, a home owned by his widowed grandmother, Mrs. Hester Hatt. His father was not living at that address when the census was taken.

By 1910 Alfred Trusty had married. he was then working at an oil cloth factory. He and his wife Mary were living at 1722 Van Buren Street. His mother had remarried, and lived with her husband William Payne in the 900 block of Ferry Avenue.

Alfred Trusty's registered for the draft on June 5, 1917. He was then living at 1723 Van Buren Street, and working as a laborer at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard at Broadway and Morgan Street. He had married by this time.

The 1920 census shows him living at 1858 South 9th Street, a home owned by his widowed mother, Mrs. Theresa Payne. Also living at that address were his aunt Ella, sister Viola and her husband Jule White, and a niece and a nephew. Alfred trusty was then working as a laborer at a cork factory. 

He was a member of the Camden police department in the 1920s and 1930s. The 1924 City Directory shows him living at 1858 South 9th Street with his wife Mary. He had already joined the police department by this time.

Alfred Trusty appears to have lost his position on the force in June of 1933 when he was suspended indefinitely for drinking while on the job. By 1942 he and his wife had moved to 1003 Ferry Avenue. He was the working for the Works Progress Administration. He was still in Camden as late as 1947. The City Directory shows that he was then working as a laborer for the South Jersey Port Commission.

Alfred Trusty died in November of 1974. he was survived by his wife, who, last a resident of Mt. Holly, died in August of 1973. 

Camden Courier-Post * June 13, 1933


A Camden policeman was suspended indefinitely and relieved of his badge yesterday on a charge of drunkenness on duty. 

The patrolman is Alfred Trusty, colored, of 1858 South Ninth Street. He is attached to the Second police district. 

Chief of Police John W. Golden ordered the suspension after he had received telephone calls informing him there was "a drunken policeman raising cain downtown." 

Golden ordered Lieutenant Ralph Bakely, commander of the district, to investigate. Trusty was brought into the station house by Sergeant Mattison. He has been ordered to appear before Golden today.