Lewis Buzine

LEWIS BUZINE was born around 1862 to Lewis and Clara Buzine. The family was living in South Camden as early as 1870. Besides young Lewis, their were at least three older brothers, William, John, and Samuel, and a younger brother, Harry. When the Census was taken in 1880, the Buzine family was living at 732 Spruce Street. Lewis Buzine, however was living in Philadelphia where he was apprenticing as a house painter. Brother Samuel Buzine, who was one of the original members of the Camden Fire Department, was living at then living at 724 Spruce Street with his wife and children, and was still working as a member of the Camden Fire Department. In time, through his influence, Lewis Buzine would secure an appointment to the department.

Lewis Buzine is listed in the 1888-1889 and 1890-1891 City Directories as working as an oilcloth printer. His addresses were 727 Ferry Avenue in the 1888 Directory, and 647 Ferry Avenue in the later book. He  joined the Camden Fire Department shortly after the 1890-1891 Directory was released, He would work as a Fire Fighter for the rest of his days.

Lewis Buzine appears to have married Lizzie Hinckson around 1890. A son, Lewis Jr. was born in the spring of 1893, sadly, he died in late February of 1896 at the age of two years and ten months. The family was then living at 427 Emerald Street.

Another son, Robert, was born in 1896. When the Census was taken in 1900, Lewis Buzine, Lizzie, daughter Jennie, 9, and son Robert, 3, were living at 424 Jasper Street in Camden's Eighth Ward. Also living at the address were Lizzie's brothers, Samuel and Robert, both of whom were employed in the neighborhood. 

The 1904 Camden City Directory shows Lewis Buzine living at 1805 South 4th Street. When the Census was taken in 1910 Lewis Buzine was living at 1606 Broadway, boarding at the home of a widow, Mrs. Alaminda Jones. Also residing at the Broadway address were Mrs. Jones widowed daughter, Mary Faber, and another boarder, Frank Ostertag, who worked at the nearby New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyards. In these years brother Samuel Buzine was still in the 700 block of Spruce Street, at that point at 765 Spruce, and still served as the Assistant Chief of the Camden Fire Department, a position he held until his retirement in 1911, Lizzie Hinckson was living at 883 Florence Street, where she kept a candy store. Her daughter Jennie and young Robert Buzine were also living at that address. On the census enumeration sheets she used the surname Hinckson.

On October 11, 1912 while responding to a false alarm at South 8th and Chestnut Street, Lewis Buzine suffered a stroke while at the reins of Engine Company 3's apparatus. Strapped to his seat and clutching the reins in his paralyzed hand, his plight was not discovered until his team of horses arrived, of there own volition and at a full gallop, at the Engine Company 3 fire house at 1813 Broadway. Taken to his home, he died on October 13, 1912.

The Camden Post-Telegram's newspaper account indicates that he was survived by a widow and two daughters, but neglect to mention his son Robert. As of this writing, in September of 2006, I have not found any mention of his daughters in materials I have at hand. 

Engine Company 3



Clapp & Jones Second Class Steamer; Button Hose Carriage



Clapp & Jones Second Class Steamer

Philadelphia Inquirer - March 1, 1896

Emerald Street 

Camden Evening Courier
June 29, 1899

Samuel Lodge
George Shields
Lewis Buzine
John Ware
John A. Dold
William Deno
Albert James

Engine Company 3

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 5, 1901

Lewis Buzine - Robert Colkett - William Sawyer
James Elberson - Al Hayden - David Andrews
John Renner 

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 4, 1907

Lewis Buzine - Wright Cox - Seth D. Monnell - William Miller  William Rose William Elberson

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 8, 1909

Lewis Buzine - Frank Chambers 

Camden Post-Telegram -  October 11, 1912
Strapped to Seat, Lewis Buzine was Helpless in Run of Many Squares

Stricken with paralysis while strapped to his seat of his engine Lewis Buzine, driver of No. 3 Engine Company, held the reins for many squares before his plight was discovered. Not until the horses were stopped by the apparatus striking the side of the engine house were fellow members of the company aware of his illness .

Answering a false alarm coming in from the new Colored High School at Eighth and Chestnut Streets, Stoker Samuel Lodge noticed that the engine was not being driven by Buzine with his usual care. On reaching Eighth and Chestnut Streets, and finding there was no fire Lodge ordered Buzine to drive near a horse trough for water to extinguish the embers under the engine. He was surprised when Buzine paid no heed to him.

 As the apparatus rolled in Chestnut Street Captain Charles Robinson, of No. 2 Chemical Engine Company on Kaighn Avenue got on behind with Lodge,

 As they neared Seventh street the rumble of an approaching electric train was heard. The horses were galloping and Lodge called to Buzine to drive more carefully. The gates dropped suddenly, the horses came to a quick halt and the train passed. Captain Robinson then pulled the bell and on the first clang the horses started with a jump, and unrestrained by the usually trained hand of the driver they sped along to Broadway when they turned suddenly, nearly crashing into the curb in front or Davis' saloon.

The animals then started down Broadway at full speed, narrowly escaping hitting many wagons.

 Shaken up and suffering from bruises on the hips and sides caused by being thrown against the engine as it wobbled from side to side, Stoker Lodge jumped when the horses veered into the engine house, and hurried to Buzine, supported by straps about his waist. The driver was leaning forward with his right arm hanging by his side.

 Not responding to questions Buzine, who is a brother of ex-Assistant Fire Chief Samuel Buzine was unstrapped and tenderly carried to his home at 1606 Broadway and Dr. Kirk was summoned. He feared that a ruptured blood vessel caused the paralysis of the right side. His condition today is serious.

Camden Post-Telegram -  October 14, 1912

Lewis Buzine, who was stricken with paralysis while driving No. 3 Fire Engine, died at his home, 1606 Broadway, yesterday. He was 50 years of age and had been in the fire department for more than 20 years. He is survived by a widow and two daughters.

Buzine was a fine specimen of physical manhood. He was more than six feet tall in height, broad of chest and shoulder, and straight as an arrow. He was fearless in the discharge of his duties, but careful of the animals placed under his charge and a loyal and true companion to all with whom he came in contact.

The funeral will take place Thursday afternoon. The body can be viewed on Wednesday evening. The members of the Eighth Ward Republican Club have been notified to assemble at the headquarters in Wednesday evening and proceed to the house as a body.

In honor of the dead member No. 3 Engine House has been draped in mourning.

Camden Post-Telegram -  October 17, 1912

Veteran Who Was Fatally Stricken on Engine Borne to Grave Today

Great crowds last night and today viewed the remains of Fireman Lewis Buzine who was fatally stricken with paralysis last Thursday while driving No. 3 engine. The body was exposed to view at his late home, 1606 Broadway, where services were held this afternoon.             

Last night nearly one hundred members of the Eighth Ward Republican Club were in attendance and paid their last respects. This afternoon the services were conducted by Reverend William Grum, pastor of the Trinity M. E. Church. 

Assistant Chief George Cox was in charge of the detail of firemen, numbering nearly fifty, every company being represented by one or more members, which acted as an escort to the body as it passed through the streets to New Camden Cemetery. The pallbearers were members of No. 3 Engine Company in charge of Captain Nicholas. 

The room was filled with choice floral designs. The Eighth Ward Republican Club sent a large star and crescent. The design from the Firemenís Mutual Benevolent Association was a large circle with a big "5" in the center, being the number of the local lodge. Members of No. 3 Engine Company of which Mr. Buzine was driver, sent a three-foot circle of white chrysanthemums and asters designed as a clock and bearing the inscription "The Last Alarm". The big figures "83" designated the number of the box from which the alarm came and in the center was the dial of a clock with the hands pointing to 1:32, the time the company left on what proved to be Buzineís last run. 

There were also many floral tributes from the family. The funeral arrangements were in charge of George Blake.