Engine Company 5 was organized and entered service on July 1, 1905 at 1401 Federal Street, from where it could serve the upper reaches of Center City, North Camden, and lend assistance to East Camden and Cramer Hill. Edgar Boulton was selected in May of 1905 to be the new company's first Captain. Charles Worthington, who would rise to the rank of Chief of Department was also assigned there.
The Company was displaced from its headquarter in 1926 when the firehouse apron at grade (street) level was obstructed by the newly-built Fourteenth Street Viaduct, which crosses the Admiral Wilson Boulevard adjacent to the railroad line. Engine Company 5 at that point was relocated to the 27th Street and Federal Street headquarters of Engine Company 9 in East Camden. The unit was disbanded on January 1, 1933 for budgetary reasons, as the city like so many other New Jersey municipalities was in was in dire financial straits brought on by the Depression.
The former firehouse at 14th and Federal Street was used by the City of Camden until 1986, when it was torn down.
December 4, 1904
Seth D. Monnell
William K. Buzine
Samuel T. Whitezell
Ephraim T. Davis
J. Oscar Till Jr.
John H. Vickers
Harry C. Anderson
Engine Company 5
February 18, 1906
William E. Albert
|Philadelphia Inquirer - February 20, 1906|
|Arthur Wingate - Edgar Boulton|
Company No. 5 at 14th and Federal
Streets, with newly converted hose
wagon. Originally a horse drawn rig, it was modified to electric power
by the Commercial Truck Company of Philadelphia PA. A storage battery
powered each wheel.
Be Sure to Click on Images for Enlarged Views
Engine Company 5 Personnel
|William E. Hibbert|
Philadelphia Inquirer - December 24, 1921
Charles Todd -
Watkin - Harry
M. Chambers - Alfred Lassby
|Camden Courier-Post - February 22, 1928|
|$225,000 FIRE RUINS 5 UPTOWN PLANTS|
FLEE AS FLAMES RAGE IN BIG BUILDING
Factory of Evans Leather Co. Saved by Valiant Work of Firemen
APPARATUS IS DISABLED; DEBRIS BURIED FIRE PLUG
Metal Stamping Firm, Textile Concern Heavy Losers; Pattern Shop Saved
Nicholas - James
|Click in Images to Enlarge|
Many of the Fire Department photographs on this website are from the limited edition book "Fire Department Camden NJ 125 Anniversary 1869-1994". Others are courtesy of Joel Bain of the Camden Fire Department.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE