CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
also known as The West Jersey Trust Building
SOUTHEAST CORNER OF BROADWAY & COOPER STREET
The 12 story Wilson Building was built in 1926 by John O. Wilson and Joseph Bernhard at a cost of approximately $1,000,000. The building housed stores on the first floor, including for many years Weitzman Liquors. The rest of the building contained offices. Many persons and businesses of note maintained offices there over the years, including lawyers Samuel P. Orlando, Angelo Malandra, Ralph W. Wescott, and Judge Albert E. Burling.
In 1929 the building was sold to the West Jersey Trust Company at a $150,000 profit, and the building was known as The West Jersey Trust Building in the 1930s. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation took the building over in 1939, and it was later sold to a Baltimore MD based group, the Broadway-Cooper Corporation.
The July 2, 1948 edition of the Camden Courier-Post reported that the building was sold to Dr. Joseph Waldman, of Wilmington DE.
The building became vacant in the 1990s. As of February 2004 the building stood vacant. At that time, Camden's Board of Education had designs on the site, but they were not allowed to demolish the building and adjacent properties then in use. In 2010 the building was acquired by Dysart Ventures of New York City, New York. Dysart is upgrading and modernizing the building for retail and office use.
For more about the Wilson Building, visit http://www.wilsonbuilding.net/.
at Broadway & Cooper Street
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE