CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
400 Kaighn Avenue
Southeast Corner of South 4th Street and Kaighn Avenue
400 Kaighn Avenue was operating as a bar as far back as 1885, when it was known as the Five Points Hotel. William Houck is listed as the saloon's owner in City Directories from 1887 through 1889. Carl Stahl later acquired the property, and was operating the facility in 1918. Mr. Stahl remained in business through at least 1940, when he appears in the Camden City Directory for that year. The 1943 Directory indicates that Cornelius Ward had become the new owner.
Cornelius and Catherine Ward conducted business at 400 Kaighn Avenue under the name of Ward's Cafe. Mr. Ward passed away at some point after 1947. Mrs. Ward remained in business at 400 Kaighn Avenue through at least 1959.
The 1966 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory reveals that the bar had a new name, Lobey's Bar. Lobey's Bar remained listed in telephone directories through the early 1980s.
The property was late obtained by an Hispanic preacher, and has been used as a church in recent years.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE