CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
Southwest corner of Broadway & Mechanic Street
Philip Mistichelli (also known as Philip Mitchell) had emigrated to America from Italy in 1913. By 1920 he was married with two sons, and working at one of Camden's shipyards. He acquired the bar at 1401 Broadway in the 1920s, and obtained a liquor license after the repeal of prohibition, and operated it as Philip's Cafe though at least 1959. By 1966 the bar had been sold, and was renamed Joe Herman's Bar. Joe Herman's Bar remains open in 2003.
Curiously, the telephone books have always recorded this bar as being Herman Joe's Bar. Go figure!
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE