CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
also known as THE FOUR HUNDRED CLUB
400 Kaighn Avenue
Southeast Corner of South 4th Street and Kaighn Avenue
400 Kaighn Avenue was operating as a bar as far back as 1885, when it was known as the Five Points Hotel. William Houck is listed as the saloon's owner in City Directories from 1887 through 1889. Carl Stahl later acquired the property, and was operating the facility in 1918. Mr. Stahl remained in business through at least 1940, when he appears in the Camden City Directory for that year. The 1943 Directory indicates that Cornelius Ward had become the new owner.
Cornelius and Catherine Ward conducted business at 400 Kaighn Avenue under the name of Ward's Cafe. Mr. Ward passed away at some point after 1947. Mrs. Ward remained in business at South 4th Street and Kaighn Avenue through at least 1959.
The 1966 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory reveals that the bar had a new name, Lobey's Bar. Nick DiMattia was the owner. The following year it changed hands again. In May of 1967 Dominic and Jean Aiello applied for a liquor license for the bar as Nik-Ro Inc., trading as Gina's. The bar was still being called Gina's as late as 1969, as evidenced by an ad taken out in the Camden High School 1969 Purple & Gold yearbook. The bar subsequently operated briefly as Lefty's Tavern and as Big Ed's however, by July of 1974 the sign out front said The 400 Club.
Interestingly enough, "Lobey's Bar" remained listed in telephone directories through the early 1980s. In 1981 there were dual telephone listing, with both Lobey's and The Four Hundred Bar appearing in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory for that year.
The property was late obtained by an Hispanic preacher, and has been used as a church in recent years.
July 4, 1974
Former Lobey's Bar
July 4, 1974
Click on Image to Enarge
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE