1819 Broadway

1819 Broadway received its first liquor license in 1884. Martin J. Ewe (1837-1911) was the proprietor in the years 1887-1905, according to the City Directories of those years. 1819 Broadway was operated as a saloon until the Prohibition became the law of the land in 1919. The bar was called the Emerson House in the years leading up to Prohibition, and was operated by Chris Waldenmaier. After Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Edward J. Whalen acquired the property, and he was granted a liquor license, over the protests of the the pastor of nearby Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church in May of 1934. 

A father and son, Amedeo and Dominick Zippilli operated the bar in the mid-1940s. The Zippilli family's bar was known, appropriately enough, as Zippilli's Cafe in 1947. By 1956 they had sold the business. Amedeo and Dominick Zippilli were later successful bar-owners in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.

Frank Vari, who operated a tavern for a time at 306 Federal Street that had belonged to the late Joseph Manfredini, was in business at 1819 Broadway in the mid-1950s, according to the October 1956 New Jersey Bell telephone Directory. 

1819 Broadway is listed as Sam's Tavern in the 1959 Bell Telephone directory. By 1966 the bar at 1819 Broadway went under the name of Paul's Tavern, and it was known as Paul's into the late 1970s. The 1977 New Jersey Bell directory shows 1819 Broadway as Paul's Liquor Store. 

The building at 1819 Broadway is still standing, although it has not operated as a tavern for many years. At some point the property was remodeled, and was subdivided into apartments.

1819 Broadway- Formerly Zippilli's Cafe - March 22, 2003

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden