CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
950 South 5th Street
The WALNUT CAFE was located at 950 South 5th Street, which has been the site of a for at least 120 years.
950 South 5th Street housed a bar as far back as 1887, when Adam T. Davis Sr. was proprietor. He was still there as late as 1888. The 1890-1891 City Directory shows that Hugh Lavery resided at and operated the bar at 950 South 5th Street. Walter S. Gillespie was the proprietor in 1905. Joseph Conaghy along with his wife Theodosia had the business, known simply as Conaghy's, when the 1914 City Directory was compiled. Jacob Sax was managing the bar for a Hyman Bloom as early as June of 1917 and by the 1920s owned the business. He still had the property as late as 1930. By the mid-1930s Frank Davolos was in business at 950 South 5th Street. A bar fight in which Mr. Davolos was injured resulted in his leaving the tavern business in 1938 or 1939. In the late 1930s and early 1940s the bar was known as The Upset Club, and was operated by Frank Tenerelli, who had boxed professionally under the name Frankie Blair. By 1947 it was known as the Walnut Cafe, and was owned and operated by the DiMattia family. The Walnut Cafe was one of the neighborhood's many Italian-American bars.
The DiMattia family operated the bar as late as 1990. In 1967 Marie L. DiMattia of Pennsauken NJ and Louis DiMattia of Haddon Township were the partners. The business changed hands around 1990 and now serves South Camden's Hispanic community.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE