CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
571 Haddon Avenue
Northwest Corner of Haddon & Mount Ephraim Avenues & Line Street
571 Haddon Avenue was a bar for many years before being razed in the late 1960s. William F. "Billy" Sand owned the business as early as 1906 until May of 1914, when he sold the business to James D. Thompson. Under the name Thompson's Cafe, the bar was still running under James D. Thompson's management as late as August of 1933.
By 1936 William Dischert had acquired the business, and he was still there as late as 1947. The 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory shows the bar as Toby Stewart's Tavern. By 1964 the bar was called The Corner, and it retained that name through at least 1966.
571 Haddon Avenue and all but a few of the buildings on the 500 block of Haddon Avenue were razed shortly afterwards to make way for Interstate Highway 676.
August 10, 1933
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE