CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
THOMAS P. TIMMONS' BEER SALOON
18 South 4th Street
Liquor was being sold to the public at 18 South 4th Street as early as 1887, when John P. Kenney was in business there. He remained there through 1889, but the 1890 Camden City Directory shows that he had relocated to 1939 Fillmore Street in Camden's Eighth Ward. This bar would be known by 1918 as the Joseph Schneider Saloon. Kenney had been a bricklayer prior to entering tha bar business, and had lived at 206 South 4th with his widowed mother, Catherine at the time of the 1880 Census.
Thomas P. Timmons operated a saloon at 18 South 4th Street, between Federal and Market Streets, as early as 1906. Timmons, born in Pennsylvania in 1872, lived on premises with his Irish-born wife Bridget, nephew John Mullin, and a boarder, Chief Petty Officer James Leahy USN, who was lodging there when the census was taken in January of 1920.
Thomas Timmons appears as operating the saloon at the 4th street address in every Camden City Directory from 1914 through 1928. The 1929 City Directory records 18 South 4th Street as Pete's Cafe, with Pete diVito of 1046 Princess Avenue as proprietor. The address does not appear in the 1930 Census or in the 1947 Camden City Directory, which leads one to believe that the building may have been razed or closed.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE