CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
THOMAS BELL SALOON
201 Arch Street
Northeast corner of North Second and Arch Street
Thomas Bell had worked as a coachman and lived in the 800 block of Locust Street prior to establishing a hotel at 201 Arch Streets. This establishment first appears in the Camden City Directories in 1890. He was still at the location as late as the 1900 Census. William M. Baumiller Sr. was proprietor of the business in the 1906 City Directory. When the 1910 Census was taken, a couple from Georgia, Guy Smith and his wife Maggie, were operating the establishment. Paul Thommen took a stab at the bar business in 1914, according to that year's City Directory. A Italian-born Philadelphia, Peter Saulino along with his son George also operated the business for a short time, most likely around 1917.
August Fuehren was the proprietor by 1918, and was there as late as the fall of 1931. In the news article below, from October of 1931, his name was recorded by the reporter in error as Alfred Fern.
"P. Saulino & Son
2nd & Arch Sts.
Date unknown, but considering the flag design, 1917 is a safe guess.
Click on Image to Enlarge
|Camden Courier-Post - October 16, 1931|
BANDITS HOLD UP CAFE, FLEE WITH $39
Two bandits with drawn guns held up a cafe owner at Second and Arch Streets early today, escaping with $39 from the cash register after forcing three patrons to stand against the wall.
Meager descriptions of the pair furnished police by Alfred Fern, the proprietor. One of the descriptions, police say, tallies with that of John J. Dugan, escaped convict.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE