Marty's Tap House aka The Olde Tappe House aka Siegle's Bar
1990 Federal Street

The Olde Tappe House at 1990 Federal Street was founded by two brothers, Martin Segal and Joseph Seigle. Joseph Seigle's granddaughter, Karen Bender wrote in 2018 "Joseph Seigle was my grandfather..... Since my great grandparents could not spell in English, each was given a different spelling at some point." 

Martin Segal and his brother got into the bar business in the 1920s. The first ventures proved difficult.  In April of 1925 Martin Segal operated a bar at 1504-1506 Federal Street, which was raided twice by Camden police looking for alcohol, which was found. He was raided at that location at least two more times in 1925, but no liquor was found. He was denied a license in 1927. In 1928 he applied for and received a license to operate at 2046 Federal Street. Martin and Joseph operated at that address into 1931. That year they opened up for business at 1990 Federal Street, a property that had been remodeled and turned into a bar by Owen Kernan in 1930. Martin Segal took an interest in politics that culminated with his election to the office of Sheriff of Camden County in 1956, a post he was re-elected to four times by overwhelming majorities and from which he retired from in February of 1972. After his election as Sheriff, Martin Segal sold his interest in the bar to his brother Joseph Siegle, with the license application for liquor license transfer being submitted at the end of 1956.

Joseph Seigle operated the bar successfully for a decade. He enjoyed a special relationship with the C. Schmidt and Son brewery of Philadelphia, which had a distributorship at 1999 Federal Street, directly across the street form the bar. He sold the bar to Hyman Karpowitz, of Pennsauken, New Jersey, who renamed it The Towers Bar, and was in business there as late as 1979. The building was demolished sometime after an armed robbery at the bar in 1979, with the liquor license being sold and transferred to another location in 1983.

Martin Segal & Joseph Siegle

Camden Courier-Post
December 24, 1931


Camden Courier-Post - Evening Courier - June 4, 1933


A suspect, released a week ago in connection with the $11,000 Camden Radio Condenser Company holdup, was rearrested Saturday and held in $3000 bail on a charge of robbing an East Camden bar.

The accused is Stanley Powell, 26, of 1256 Whitman Avenue, alleged to have stolen, with the help of two other men of unknown identity, a marble machine and 100 cigars from Marty's Olde Tappe Room, operated at 1990 Federal Street by Marty Segal.

Powell pleaded not guilty.

City Detective, George Zeitz testified that he learned that Powell's new expensive car had been seen near the taproom early on Thursday, when the robbery occurred. Zeitz said he obtained this information after Powell had been quizzed and released in the radio firm holdup.

Upon further investigation, Zeitz asserted, he found a witness, Daniel Danter, 1985 Carman Street, who allegedly saw Powell and two other men carrying "something" from the store and loading it in the car. Zeitz, according to Zeitz, identified Powell. Elwood Cox, of 1981 Carman Street, is alleged by Zeitz to ha ve seen Powell's car in that neighborhood on the morning of the robbery, but didn't know any of the men in it. 

Acting Police Judge James Smith fixed the amount of bail.

Camden Courier-Post
December 19, 1956


Joseph Siegle - 1959

The May 1959 Case
C. Schmidt of Philadelphia

Camden Courier-Post
March 8, 1966


Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden