1903 South 6th Street

William H. Tansky Jr. was a Navy veteran. His family was operating the bar at 1903 South 6th Street as early as 1918, Walenty (Valentine) Tansky being listed as the proprietor in the 1918-1919 Camden City Directory  and 1921 R.G. Dun Mercantile Agency Reference Book. William Tansky was managing the bar by the time of the 1930 census.

William H. Tansky was active in Republican politics in Camden's 8th Ward. On May 16, 1934 there was a riot outside of the cafe between different factions over the results of the bitterly contested Republican primary elections held that day. Control of the Republican Party in Camden County  was being fought over by David Baird Jr. and Albert S. Woodruff. Tansky's brother, Benjamin D. Tansky, a bartender at the cafe, was involved in the melee.

Walenty Tansky was the licensee in June of 1939.

By 1946 William H. Tansky Jr. was no longer involved with the bar. It was being operated by Dominick Kasilowski and was known as Dominik's Cafe in the mid and late 1940s.  

The bar at 1903 South 6th is no longer standing. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 23, 1933

Leslie Orr, 'Polack Joe' Devon, Jackie Hindle and Walter Kennedy Freed 

Four well-known Camden county men who had been in the state penitentiary at Trenton for at least one year are now at liberty on parole. It was revealed at Trenton yesterday that the State Board of Pardons had granted paroles last week to Leslie W. Orr, Haddonfield real estate broker; Joseph "Polack Joe" Devon, South Camden sportsman, Jackie Hindle, former Camden cop, and Walter Kennedy, formerly a boxer and cafe owner. 

The pardons court followed its custom of making no public announcement of the paroles, but admitted upon questioning yesterday that the four local men had been liberated. 

Orr, who resided at 112 Avondale avenue, Haddonfield, and had a real estate office in Collingswood, was sentenced May 24, 1932, to two years after he pleaded non vult to 20 allegations that he embezzled a total of $12,000. He had surrendered when a warrant was issued for him on behalf of the widowed mother of seven children. She had charged him with embezzling $1500. Sentence was imposed after Orr had made an abortive effort to make full restitution. 

It was Devon's second parole. He served two years of a five-year "stretch" for manslaughter in the fatal shooting of Joseph Cimini in the Sixth Ward Republican Club, and was paroled in 1930. Less than five months later, he and a companion drove into the yard of an alleged disorderly house at Atco as state troopers were raiding it. Devon, who 
was driving, attempted to drive away, but troopers stopped the machine. A . 38 caliber pistol was found on Devon. He was subsequently sentenced on March 30, 1931, to two and one-half years for carrying the weapon. At that time, it was also believed he would 
have to serve the remaining three years of his first sentence for violating his parole. 

Kennedy was sentenced June 8, 1932, to one year for attempting to rob a bus driver at Sixth and State Streets and also to six months more for carrying a gun.

Hindle and George Schaeffer were each given two and one-half years for breaking into the soft-drink establishment of William Tansky at 1903 South Sixth Street, where a wrist watch was stolen. Sentence was imposed February 2, 1932.

William H. Tansky Jr. 

Camden Courier-Post

May 8, 1934

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post * May 8, 1934

Camden Courier-Post * May 17, 1934

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post * May 18, 1934

John Hess, left, was held for the grand jury on charges of illegal possession of firearms as a result of the shooting incident at Tansky's Cafe. On tight is his attorney. Edward V. Martino. Click on Image to Enlarge. 

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 17, 1934

Prosecutor Directs Cleanup and Pushes Probe of Feitz Murder

Weekend developments in the general drive against crime resulted in the raiding of at least 30 gambling houses, illicit saloons, and alcohol stills with police spurred to feverish activity by Mayor Roy R. Stewart’s probe of the department, which he said will end this week, unless new evidence develops to extend it.

Lieutenant Walter Welch, new commander of the Second Police District, conducted an intensive cleanup of his bailiwick over Saturday and Sunday, raiding 25 alleged violators of liquor and gambling laws.

Aided by Patrolmen William Marter and Carmin Fuscellaro Sr., Lieutenant Welch conducted a series of raids Saturday night and yesterday morning. The saloon of Mary Niewinski, at 400 Mechanic Street, was raided early yesterday and two customers arrested.

Lieutenant Welch Leads Raiders

Welch, who took over the duties Lieutenant Ralph Bakley when the latter was suspended by Mayor Stewart yesterday, declared he was seeking violators of the city’s Sunday closing ordinance, which states that places selling liquor must close “between the hours of 2:00 AM Sunday and 7:00 AM Monday.”

Welch and his squad visited a house at 1903 South 6th street, reputedly operated by William Tansky, 33. Tansky, charged with violating the closing ordinance, was released in $500 bail as proprietor, and Edward Krown, 65, of 1705 South 4th Street; Edward Judd, 41, of 721 Ferry Avenue; and William Sampey, of 729 North 10th Street, charged with being frequenters, were released in $100 bail.

Welch declared he was unable to enter some of the places visited because he did not hold warrants. He said he would procure warrants today and return to several of the places. In the other instances where raids were made, Welch did not reveal the addresses or names.

Welch announced last night he is not seeking “personal notoriety” through his activities, but is merely doing his duty as a police officer. He declared “the lid has been clamped on the second District and will stay on.”

Mayor Stewart commended Welch's activities, and declared he will recommend suspension of liquor licenses in all the places where violations were uncovered.

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden