1700-1702 Federal Street

A tavern was open at 1700 Federal Street in the days before Prohibition. Annie Cannon was the proprietress in 1918-1919, according to the City Directories of the era. A Charles Nixon is shown as the owner in 1920-1921.

The Stanley Bar appears in the 1943 City Directory, and again in the 1947 Directory. A two story concrete block building, it is likely that this was a new building erected on the site, most likely just before America's entry into World War II. It was a very good location, with three very large factories adjacent to the business on Federal Street, the Warren Webster Company, the Haddon Craftsmen printing firm, and the Iowa Soap Company works. Of course there were other businesses in the area, and a great deal of automobile traffic went past the address. Stanley Bar & Liquors was owned by Mrs. Helen Levy, and managed by her husband Stanley, of 3068 Federal Street in East Camden.

In July of 1950 the Stanley Bar was heavily damaged by a fire, which destroyed the bar's interior. Stanley Levy moved his business to 1730 Federal Street, and reopened as Stanley's Bar & Liquors Inc., as shown in the 1955 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory. By 1959 the bar at 1730 Federal Street had changed hands again, and is listed in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory as Jan's Inc.  

The building at 1700 Federal Street was sold, and from the 1980s into the early 2000s was the home of Ace Fasteners.

Camden Courier-Post - July 29, 1950

Two-Alarm Fire Destroys Interior Of E. Camden Bar

A two-alarm fire early today destroyed the interior of the Stanley Bar, 1700 Federal street. Cause of the blaze has not been determined.

Stanley Levy, manager of the bar owned by his wife. Mrs. Helen Levy, of 3068 Federal street, was unable to estimate the loss until an inventory of stock is made and a survey of the property conducted. 

An unidentified man, standing on the opposite corner of Seventeenth street at Federal street, waiting for a bus. discovered the fire and ran to Fifteenth and Federal streets to turn in the alarm, overlooking a box alarm on Seventeenth street about 15 feet from where he was standing.

Second Alarm Sounded

Acting Battalion Chief Frank Oberman. of fire headquarters, Fifth and Arch Streets, sounded the second alarm on his arrival. The first alarm was at 2:03 AM, and the second a few minutes later.

Oberman said it appeared the fire had started in the kitchen of the two-story concrete block building and quickly spread to the bar. It was necessary to force two large overhead doors of the Quality Beverage Co., beer distributors, located in the rear on Seventeenth street, Oberman  said, to allow the dense smoke to escape.

Fire Chief William van Pfefferle arrived with the sounding of the second alarm and took charge of the flrefighters. Battalion Chief Winfield Le Viseur also was on the scene.

Praised Firemen, Police

Levy said he had closed the place at 1:30 AM and went to his home, where he was called at 2:05 and informed of the fire. He was high in his praise of the work by firemen and police at the scene.

The second floor of the building, Levy said, contains only an office used by himself. Amusement devices, a television, juke box and pinball machine, were melted by the intense heat and refrigeration units were damaged. Many bottles of whisky and beer were exploded, Levy said.


Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden