1819 Broadway

One of several buildings that at one time or another operated under the name of SAM'S TAVERN, 1819 Broadway received its first liquor license in 1884, and operated as a saloon until the Prohibition became the law of the land in 1919. The bar was called the Emerson House in the years leading up to Prohibition, under the proprietorship of Chris Waldenmaier. After Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Edward J. Whalen acquired the property, and he was granted a liquor license, over the protests of the the pastor of nearby Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church in May of 1934. 

The bar was known as Zippilli's Cafe in 1947, and is listed as Sam's Tavern in the 1959 Bell Telephone directory. By 1966 the bar at 1819 Broadway went under the name of Paul's Tavern, and it was known as Paul's into the late 1970s. The 1977 New Jersey Bell directory shows 1819 Broadway as Paul's Liquor Store. 

The building at 1819 Broadway is still standing, although it has not operated as a tavern for many years. At some point the property was remodeled, and was subdivided into apartments.

1819 Broadway- Formerly Sam's Tavern - March 22, 2003

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden