CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
2051 Arlington Street
Northwest Corner of Chelton Avenue and Arlington Street
Arlington Street was a one block street, running parallel to Broadway between Chelton Avenue and Jefferson Street. The block was developed prior to World War I. It is unknown as of this writing whether 2051 Arlington was in use as a saloon prior to 1920. In any event, by the time Census was taken in January of 1920, Prohibition had become the law of the land. 2051 Arlington Street had by then been rented to George Wallace, a Canadian immigrant who was a foreman at the nearby New York Shipbuilding Corporation. With his wife Nora, he operated a boarding house at the address, and had 12 fellow employees at the shipyard as tenants in January of 1920. Evelyn Thomas is listed as the proprietor in the 1924 Camden City Directory.
By 1931 Stanley Wojciechowski was operating the Rosemont Cafe at 2051 Arlington Street. Born in Poland around 1888, he had come to America in 1905. He married Stella Kolecki around 1928, taking in her children, Chester, Violet, Stella, and Frances. Stanley Wojciechowski fell ill during the 1930s, and died at 1215 Decatur Street, the home of his sister, Mrs. Mary Lisowski, in October of 1936. His wife Stella operated the business when he fell ill, and kept the business after her husband's death. In these years, with the neighborhood filled with workers from the many surrounding factories, the Rosemont and the many other bars in the neighborhood did quite well.
Stepdaughter Stella Kolecki married Durward Horner, but was a widow by 1947. She later remarried, to a man named Jackson. Stella Jackson owned and operated the bar into the early 1970s. She was known in her neighborhood for her "secret recipe" for crab cakes.
With most of the factories virtually closed, times became tough in the Eighth Ward. By 1977 the Rosemont had changed hands and was known as the Frosty Mug. The bar closed its doors once and for all by 1982. Over the next twenty years, Arlington Street slowly deteriorated to the point where by 2002 only eight buildings on the street were occupied.
The Rosemont Cafe, and the rest of Arlington Street, was razed due to environmental concerns a matter of days in February of 2004. By the 9th of February, you would never have known it was even there.
Camden Courier-Post - August 10, 1933
MASKED HOLDUP MEN LINE 4 AGAINST WALL,
Three masked and armed stickup men obtained $6 loot early today when they raided the cafe of Stanley Wojciechowski, at 2051 Arlington Street.
The holdup men, shabbily dressed directed Wojciechowski, his wife, their daughter, Stella, and Mrs. Mary Miller, of Westville, to turn their faces to the wall. Cowing the four with revolvers, one of the trio rifled the proprietor's pockets; then all three fled in an automobile they had left parked in front of the cafe.
Camden Detective Sergeant Rox Saponare said each of the four victims expressed belief the bandits could be identified.
that was left of the Rosemont Cafe
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE