CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
Adam T. Davis, his wife Mary A., and son Adam T. Davis Jr. owned and operated a saloon at 138-140 Kaighn Avenue, the southwest corner of South 2nd Street and Kaighn Avenue, as early as 1874 through 1883. Adam T. Davis was a veteran of the Civil War, serving three years with Company G of the Seventy-First New York Infantry Regiment. Adam Davis moved to 950 South 5th Street in 1884, and operated saloons there through 1888, then moved to 823 South 5th Street, where he was in trade in 1890. Adam T. Davis died in the spring of 1891, leaving his widow and eighteen year-old son. Mary A. Davis operated a saloon at 327 Chestnut Street in 1892 and 1893. By 1895 she had retired.
Adam T. Davis Jr. worked as a plumber through the 1880s and 1890s. In 1895 Adam T. Davis Jr. married Mary Elizabeth McCaffery, daughter of John and Bridget McCaffery. He subsequently went into the saloon business at his father's old location 140 Kaighn Avenue.
In January of 1898 Mr. Davis bought 1101 Broadway, the southwest corner of Broadway and Chestnut Street, from Charles Basch for $7500. It took almost two years before Adam Davis could move his business from Ferry Avenue to Broadway. During this period Adam Davis rented the building to Jewish merchant Abe Fuhrman who ran a furniture store there. By the end of 1900 Adam T. Davis had transferred his license, remodeled the building, and opened up his new saloon. Adam Davis had featured live entertainment at his saloon on Kaighn Avenue, and he continued to provide live music for his patrons at the new establishment, which he named The Palace.
Adam T. Davis Jr. passed away in 1912, having been a popular and successful member of the Camden liquor trade. He had been a member of Camden Lodge No. 293 of the Elks, Camden Aerie 65 of the Fraternal Order of Eagles and other civic groups. His wife Mary and daughters Catherine and Marie continued operating the bar through 1919, when Prohibition became the aw of the land. The Palace closed its doors, and by the time the 1920 City Directory was published Louis Berkowitz was operating the Leader Department Store at the 1101 Broadway address. The following year Gus Georges opened up his Atlantic Restaurant at 1101 Broadway.
Philadelphia Inquirer - May 2, 1905
Knauff - Charles
H. Ellis - Adam
T. Davis Jr. - George
Horneff - Charles
Philadelphia Inquirer - June 7, 1915
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE