CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
501 Trenton Avenue
Corner of Trenton Avenue and Newton Avenue
The LaMaina family's bar on Newton Avenue at Trenton Avenue was established in 1906. The bar, which was operated in 1931 by Nicholas LaMaina, also served sandwiches, and was a well known spot in Camden. The family also operated bars at other locations in Camden. Theresa LaMaina is recorded as operating a bar at 824 South 3rd Street, the corner of 3rd and Pine Streets, in 1831, and the same bar is noted as being run by Mrs. Anna LaMaina in 1947.
During prohibition, Lawrence LaMaina, who was living with wife and son Nicholas, went into the real estate business. Nicholas was working in a shoe store at the time of the 1930 census. When Prohibition was repealed in 1933,Nick LaMaina procured a liquor license, and opened up the cafe.
Like the Deighans, Cinellis, Capriottis, and other families who had been in the bar business in Camden, the LaMainas headed for the suburbs after World War II. By the mid 1950s they had relocated to Marlton Pike and Sayer Avenue in Delaware Township (present-day Cherry Hill) NJ.
After standing vacant through most of the 1980s and 1990s, the bar that had been LaMaina's Cafe was demolished.
Nicholas LaMaina passed in June of 1985, survived by his wife Florence, who joined him April 23, 1991. One of his sons, Dr. Nicholas F. La Maina, became a well known podiatrist. He passed away in Florida at the end of 2008.
|Camden Courier-Post - February 3, 1933|
2 BURGLARS ROUTED FROM SO. CAMDEN HOME
LaMania told the police he was called to the telephone by a neighbor who saw the men trying to pry open his front door. He took his revolver and hurried downstairs just in time to see the would-be intruders drive away in a sedan.
Both the front door and a side window were damaged.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE