also known as The New Junction Hotel & Hotel Aldine
39 South 6th Street aka 595 Bridge Avenue

The Hotel Dubosq appears in Camden City Directories as early as 1890, under the name New Junction Hotel. In that year it was run by Mrs. Katherine "Katie" Zimmerman, who lived on premises. Her late husband, William G. Zimmerman, had operated a business called the Junction Hotel nearby on Haddon Avenue south of Carman Street, opposite the Haddon Avenue rail station as far back as 1877. William G. Zimmerman died on February 29, 1888. He left two children, Pauline and Edward, who was born in July of 1887. 

Mrs. Katherine Zimmerman inherited the business and the liquor license was transferred to her in March of 1888. A new building was erected on the northwest corner of South 6th Street and Bridge Avenue, alternately known as 39 South 6th Street and 595 Bridge Avenue. The business reopened as the New Junction Hotel in January 16, 1890. In November of 1893 the liquor license for the New Junction Hotel was transferred to John Haas. He ran the place for less than a year, passing away in October of 1894. An October 23, 1894 Camden Courier obituary for John Haas cites him as being the proprietor of the New Junction Hotel, he may have been a partner. On his death the license was transferred to his wife, Mrs. Fannie Haas, who operated the Hotel into 1895. 

Apparently Mrs. Zimmerman retained ownership of the building, as she resumed management of the New Junction Hotel in January of 1896. In that same month she married J. Carrow DuBosq.

J. Carrow DuBosq was born around 1854 in Pennsylvania. His early years were spent learning the jewelers trade. At the time of the 1880 census, he was living at home with his widowed mother, Elizabeth DuBosq on a farm Montgomery Township, Montgomery County PA. Also at home were his first wife Sarah J., daughters Annie and Frances, and his sister Mary. As he got older, he went by the name J. Carrow DuBosq.

The Camden City Directories in the years 1887 through 1891 show Peter and Francis DuBosq working as jewelers in those years. It is likely that J. Carrow DuBosq came to Camden at some point after 1891, and eventually transitioned into another line of work, that of hotel and saloon keeper when he became involved with Mrs. Katie Zimmerman. Their first child, Thaddeus, was born in 1897. Daughter Regina came one year later. Tragedy struck when Mrs. DuBosq was burned to death in a fire on December 10, 1901 which was ruled accidental.

By 1910 the business was known as the Hotel Dubosq. J. Carrow DuBosq was then raising his children, Thaddeus and Regina DuBosq alone, with his older sister Mary Frances living with the family as well. By 1916 J. Carrow DuBosq  he had renamed the business Hotel Aldine and was still running the business as late as the fall of 1918.

By the time of the 1920 Census was enumerated, J. Carrow Dubosq had leased his business to Agnes Wurst. He was still living on premises, with 595 Bridge Avenue given his street address. Taking advantage of the opportunity, he was working as a machinist in a shipyard. Residing with him were his older sister Mary Frances, son Thaddeus, 22, daughter Regina Thompson, a 21 year old-divorcee, and his grandson Edmund, 3.

By September of 1921 the business had been renamed the Hotel Aldine, and was being run by Charles Nixon, who had previously kept a saloon at 1700 Federal Street, and who had been arrested in July of 1920 and August of 1921 for Prohibition violations. .

J. Carrow DuBosq may have gone to Trenton NJ, where he was living when the Census was enumerated in 1930. J. Carrow Dubosq by then had retired.  J. Carrow Dubosq passed away on February 11, 1939.

The Hotel Aldine was still in operation as late May of 1924. It had been raided in March if 1924, and was raided again in May. Charles Nixon was running a speakeasy and disorderly house out of the premises.  By November the business had closed and the property put up for public sale. Nixon was sentenced in 1925 to a short prison sentence for selling alcoholic beverages.

Frank Hineline of the Camden Lime Company bought the building and after remodeling the interior moved its offices into 39 South 6th Street in April of 1925. Camden Lime was still headquartered there as late as 1940. By November of 1941 Camden Lime had moved to 1433 Pine Street.

The 1947 Camden City Directory states that 39 South 6th Street was then the address of the American Red Cross production department. 

The Junction Hotel - 1885 Sanborn Map The New Junction Hotel - 1891 Sanborn Map

Camden Courier
March 1, 1888

William G. Zimmerman
Junction Hotel
Improved Order of Red Men
Star of Bethelehem Lodge No. 12. A.P.A
Gatling Gun Company B
Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.)
Camden Mannerchor
Camden Liedertafel
Camden Unterstutzung & Herbecasse Verein No. 1

Camden Daily Telegram
January 17, 1890

Junction Hotel
New Junction Hotel


Camden Post - May 10, 1890

Camden Daily Telegram
May 13, 1890

Samuel S. Applegate
Katherine Zimmerman
Mickle Street



Camden City Directory

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Daily Telegram
November 2, 1893

Katherine Zimmerman - John Haas
George Jones - Oscar Myers
575 Trenton Avenue
Catherine Rimke - Jonathan Cox
400 Mechanic Street
Charles Laicher
982 Bulson Street - 1447 Broadway
James Ferguson - Patrick J. McGoohan
304 Pine Street

Camden Courier
October 23, 1894

John Haas
Cyrene Castle No. 27
Knights of the Golden Eagle

Camden Post * January 11, 1896

Camden Post * January 21, 1896


July 16, 1899

John W. Coleman
George Horner
Albert Kemble
Jersey Beaston
George Blake
Theodore Leas
Carrow DuBosq
V.L. Cavanna
Mary Kemmerer
Ellen Kemmerer
Lillie Kemmerer
Anna Kemmerer
Elizabeth Kemmerer
George J. Pechin
James McCormick
Lillian Bernhart
Wilson H. Jenkins
Arthur Abele
Malinda Mansfield


Camden Post- Telegram
April 25, 1901

Pailine Zimmerman
Katherine Zimmerman DuBosq
New Junction Hotel
J. Carrow DuBosq
Bridge Avenue
South 6th Street






Camden Daily Courier
December 10, 1901

Pailine Zimmerman
Katherine Zimmerman DuBosq
New Junction Hotel
J. Carrow DuBosq
Bridge Avenue
South 6th Street





Camden Daily Courier * December 10, 1901
Diamond Cottage Park

Camden Post-Telegram * December 11, 1901
Katherine Zimmerman DuBosq - Dr. WIlliam S. Jones

Drink Up!
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden