CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
formerly known as The New Junction Hotel and Hotel Dubosq
39 South 6th Street aka 595 Bridge Avenue
The Hotel Aldine at 39 South 6th Street operated in a building that had been built in 1889 as The New Junction Hotel by Mrs. Katherine "Katie" Zimmerman. Her late husband, William G. Zimmerman, had operated a business called the Junction Hotel nearby on Haddon Avenue south of Carman Street, opposite the Haddon Avenue rail station as far back as 1877. William G. Zimmerman died on February 29, 1888.
inherited the business and the liquor license was transferred to her in
March of 1888. A new building was erected on the northwest corner of
South 6th Street and Bridge
Avenue, alternately known as 39 South 6th
Street and 595 Bridge
Avenue. The business reopened as
the New Junction Hotel in January 16, 1890. In November of 1893 the
liquor license for the New Junction Hotel was transferred to John Haas.
He ran the place for less than a year, passing away in October of 1894.
An October 23, 1894 Camden
Courier obituary for John Haas cites him as being the proprietor of the
New Junction Hotel, he may have been a partner. On his death the license
was transferred to his wife, Mrs. Fannie Haas, who operated the Hotel
By 1910 the business was known as the Hotel Dubosq. J. Carrow DuBosq was then raising his children, Thaddeus and Regina DuBosq alone, with his older sister Mary Frances living with the family as well. J. Carrow DuBosq remained in business under that name through at least 1914. By 1916 he had renamed the business Hotel Aldine and was still running the business as late as the fall of 1918.
By the time of the 1920 City Directory was compiled, J. Carrow Dubosq had leased his business to Agnes Wurst. He was still living on premises, with 595 Bridge Avenue given his street address in the 1920 Census.
By September of 1921 the Hotel Aldine was being run by Charles Nixon, who had previously kept a saloon at 1700 Federal Street, and who had been arrested in July of 1920 and August of 1921 for Prohibition violations. .
The Hotel Aldine was still in operation as late May of 1924. It had been raided in March if 1924, and was raided again in May. Charles Nixon was running a speakeasy and disorderly house, i.e., a brothel, out of the premises. By November the business had closed and the property put up for public sale. Nixon was sentenced in 1925 to a short prison sentence for selling alcoholic beverages.
Frank Hineline of the Camden Lime Company bought the building and after remodeling the interior moved its offices into 39 South 6th Street in April of 1925. Camden Lime was still headquartered there as late as 1940. By November of 1941 Camden Lime had moved to 1433 Pine Street.
The 1947 Camden City Directory states that 39 South 6th Street was then the address of the American Red Cross production department.
|Camden Courier * October 23, 1894|
|Frank Hineline - Camden Lime Company|
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE