CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
538 Kaighn Avenue
534 and 538 Kaighn were not bars prior to Prohibition. The Aronow family was living at 534 and elsewhere on Kaighn prior to 1920, and were involved in a number of small business in the 500 block... and would be into the 1990s. The Bader family moved to 538 at some point in the 1920s. Jacob Bader was running a poultry store at 538 Kaighn Avenue at the time of the 1930 census. When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, a number of establishments were licensed along Kaighn Avenue. Jacob Bader, with help from his son Louis, operated a bar and liquor store there in the 1930s.
By 1947 the property had been sold to James Gorhan, who operated the bar as Gorhan's Cafe. He lived above the bar with his wife Margaret.
Sold again in the 1950s, the bar would be known as Bond's Bar from the 1950s through the late 1970s. The Gorhan family had left Camden County by 1959.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE