601 Ferry Avenue
Northeast Corner of South 6th street and Ferry Avenue

Frank Corado owned and operated Frank's Cafe at 601 Ferry Avenue in Camden for over 30 years. 

Frank Corado appears to have been born in Pennsylvania on March 8, 1891. In the 1920s he had moved to New Jersey, and by 1930 he had moved to Delaware Township NJ, which has been known since 1961 as Cherry Hill. He owned a home, along with wife Mary, on Graham Avenue, near Haddonfield Road, not far from where the Garden State Race Track was built in the 1940s. The 1920 and 1930 census also show a Mary Corado living at 1832 Fillmore Street, a very short walk from the bar, which may explain his ties to the neighborhood. By June of 1933 Frank Corado had acquired the business. The 1947 Camden City Directory shows him as the proprietor of Frank's Cafe at 601 Ferry Avenue. He was still doing business at this location as late as 1967. Frank Corado passed away in May of 1974.

By the 1980s Al "Sheriff" Jones was the owner of the bar, which was then known as the Silver Door Cafe. He retired in the 1990s, and closed the bar. "The Sheriff" still lives at 601 Ferry Avenue.  

The Silver Door

February 11, 2003

Click on Image to Enlarge


The kitchen of the home of Frank Corado, 601 Ferry Avenue, was damaged slightly yesterday afternoon by a. fire caused by an overheated coal range.

Camden Courier-Post

June 25, 1933