CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
1703 Mulford Street
Southwest Corner of Van Hook & Mulford Street
Felix C. Knast and his wife Mary had operated a bar from the 1930s through the early 1950s at 671-673 Ferry Avenue known as Knast Cafe. This block of Ferry Avenue was taken in the early 1950s by the City of Camden to make room for the Franklin D. Roosevelt Manor public housing project, Interstate 676 and other projects that did not come to fruition in later years. Like several other of the business owners who were displaced, the Knasts relocated their business nearby. The new Knast Cafe was built at 1703 Mulford Street, on the corner of Van Hook and Mulford Street.
The Knast family operated the bar through the early 1970s. By 1977 they had sold the bar and Felix and Mary Knast had moved to Glendora NJ. Felix Knast passed away in December of 1981 at the age of 79, survived by his wife, who died in August of 1989.
As of 1977 the bar was known as Flash Gordon's, and it remained under this name through 1983. Later in the 1980s the bar was again sold, and the name was changed to Wildfire's Place. As Wildfire's Place the bar remains open as of December 2003.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE