CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
EL BOHIO BAR & GRILL
524 Jefferson Street
(Southwest Corner of Fillmore & Jefferson Streets)
524 Jefferson Street was the home of the An-Be Tavern from the 1950s though August of 2003, when David Gonzalez of East Camden purchased the building, remodeled the bar, and re-opened it as the El Bohio Bar and Grill. Mr. Gonzalez' concept is to market his bar to the over-35 Hispanic community in Camden and South Jersey.
In the days before Prohibition was in 1919, there were two bars at the intersection of Fillmore and Jefferson Streets. John B. Bouillion was in business at 524 Jefferson Street, while Joseph Schneider operated a saloon across the street at 1939 Fillmore Street. Schneider sold his bar after Prohibition was enacted, and left the saloon business.
John B. Bouillion passed away prior to April of 1930. By the time the 1930 Census was enumerated, Caroline Bouillion, his widow, operated the cafe with her son Nicholas and daughter Stella. In October of 1936, Blanche Cook acquired the bar from Mrs. Bouillion. Blanche Cook renamed the bar, calling it, appropriately enough, the Blanch Cafe. Blanche Cook later wed, and the 1947 City Directory indicates that the bar was owned by Blanche Peacock and her husband Harry H. Peacock. Blanche operated the bar, while her husband worked as the yardmaster for the Pennsylvania Railroad in Camden.
Harry Peacock was born in Pilesgrove Township, Salem County NJ on February 23, 1891 to Albert and Mary Peacock. In January of 1920 he was still living in Pilesgrove Township NJ, working as a telegraph operator for the railroad. By April of 1930 Harry Peacock was living with his widowed mother, Mary, and brother John, in Woodstown NJ, and still employed as a railroad telegrapher. He later moved to Camden, where he operated the bar with his wife. The Peacocks moved from Camden after the October 1956 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory was compiled, after selling the bar. Harry Peacock spent the last years of his life in Toms River NJ. He passed away in November of 1978.
524 Jefferson Street became the An-Be Tavern in the late 1950s, and remained as such until August of 2003, when David Gonzalez of East Camden purchased the building, remodeled the bar, and re-opened it as the El Bohio Bar and Grill.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE