589 Pine Street
711 South 6th Street
Northwest Corner of South 6th & Pine Streets

While the building at 589 Pine Street - Sixth and Pine Streets - appears to go back to the 19th century, there was no bar operating there in prior to 1891. By 1914 a saloon had been established there, Charles P. Schmidt then the proprietor. Max Roth operated it from 1918 through at least 1921. By 1924 a tailor, Joseph Berlin, had bought the building and was in business at 589 Pine, and he was still at that location as late as April of 1930..

A liquor license was obtained for the premises when Prohibition was repealed in 1933, and the bar was known as the Pine Street Tavern.  In 1939 the bar changed hands and soon the name was changed to Nora's Cafe when Michele "Mike" Barbalace and his brother Ferdinando "Fred" became the proprietors.  First operated as a bar, the name Nora's Cafe was for the brothers' mother Eleanora who lived in the village of San Ferdinando in Calabria, Italy. Following a fire at the premises, the brothers remodeled the bar and added a restaurant and a "Ladies Entrance" off Sixth Street. Mike married Mary Rose Petulla that year and had a daughter who they named Eleanora and was known as Nora. Part of the renovations included expanding into the adjoining house on Pine Street, which can be seen by comparing the before and after renovations pictures below.

The entire Barbalace family including Fred and their German Shepard "King" lived at Sixth and Pine Streets above Nora's Cafe (589 Pine Street) until 1958, when the brothers retired, sold the building and the business, and moved Westmont, NJ. The bar was known as Steve's Tavern by May of 1961. By 1966 the bar had been renamed Vince & Fred's Tavern  after the two owners,  Vince Santoferraro and Fred Cinelli. 589 Pine Street was known as Vince & Fred's Tavern as late as 1977. 

The bar changed hands again, and was known in the 1980s and early 1990s as Dreamer's Lounge. By the mid-1980s the neighborhood had become very bad, and the bar was shut down in the early 1990s, never to reopen. Sadly, as of 2008 the building at 589 Pine Street sits boarded up, abandoned, and in need of repair. It was finally razed in the spring of 2012.

589 Pine Street - October 27, 2003