1944 Broadway

The building at 1944 Broadway has an interesting history. It does not appear to have been used as a bar prior to 1903. It is known that James P. Croker was in business there in that year. 

James P. Croker first appears to have gotten into the bar business in the early 1890s at  512 Ferry Avenue. His brother Thomas had operated a bar at South 3rd and Division Street for a while and had been working as a bartender in Camden for several years by this time. In July of 1894 James P. Croker took over the bar at 400 Jasper Street, where he was quite successful into the early 1900s. He sponsored an amateur baseball team that competed on both sides of the Delaware in the 1890s, and also was an active member of the Eighth Ward Republican Club. Thomas Croker worked for his brother and also was involved in amateur baseball during this period.

By 1903 James P. Croker had moved his operation to 1944 Broadway, and at some point during his tenure as the owner of the building, he and the F.A. Poth Brewery, located around a short walk away at South 6th and Bulson Streets, got together to have the wall painted with the advertisements that still can be seen today. The bar was known as The Tammany House, and a social club, known appropriately enough as The Tammany Club, met there as well. 

Brother Thomas Croker again tried operating his own saloon around 1900, this time at 909 South 4th Street. This venture did not last long, as by 1903 another party was in business at that address. Thomas R. Croker was living at 821 Dauphin Street in July of 1905. Within a short time, during the compilation of the 1906 Camden City Directory, he had relocated to 1944 Broadway and had gone back to work for his brother, James P. Croker. He does not appear in the 1910 Census, the 1910-1911 City Directory or any Directory thereafter, indicating that he had either died or had left the city.

James P. Croker was still in business at 1944 Broadway as late as 1912. His second wife, Catherine, died that year. By the time the 1914 City Directory was compiled, James P. Croker had moved his business to 1223 Broadway. He was then living with wife Elizabeth "Bessie" Croker at 1010 South 5th Street. The new proprietor of the saloon at 1944 Broadway was Walter Fenley. By 1924 James P. Croker had left the bar business. he was then living at 583 Line Street, where he operated a small fleet of taxicabs. He was still at that address as late as April of 1930, with his wife and mother-in-law, Delia Smith. James P. Croker was then working as an automobile salesman.

The bar at 1944 Broadway changed hands numerous times in the 1910s, 1920s, and 1930s. 

The George Booz American Legion Post 274 acquired the property in the late 1930s from Mrs. Mamie Piraine. The Post changed its name to Memorial Post 274 in 1951. 1944 Broadway served as the post's home until it was sold in 2008.

1944 Broadway - Northeast Corner of Broadway & Jefferson Street


Philadelphia Inquirer
June 29, 1894

Click on Image to Enlarge

Philadelphia Inquirer
July 14, 1894

Philadelphia Inquirer
March 19, 1895

Francisco Abbatto
Howland Croft
James Croker
Richard T. Miller
John L. Lattimore
Charles Pedigree
John L. Semple
Croker's Saloon
Bulson Street
Cooper Street
Locust Street

Camden Lodge of Elks
Cooper Hospital
D'Olier Engineering Company

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 14, 1895

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 19, 1896

James Croker - George Charles - Joseph Hyde - B.J. Lyons - John L. Westcott
Landos Thomas - John W. Truax - William Robinson - William Thomas - Martin P. Grey
George W. Borden - Mary L. Earle - Edward Rigg Jr. - Mark L. Sooy
Kaighn Avenue  - Broadway - South 4th Street - South 6th Street - South 8th Street
North 10th Street - Jackson Street - Jasper Street - Market Street - Walnut Street -
Cooper Hospital

Philadelphia Inquirer
June 25, 1896

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 28, 1899


Click on Image to Enlarge

Philadelphia Inquirer
April 14, 1900


Click on Image to Enlarge

Philadelphia Inquirer * April 14, 1900


Click on Image to Enlarge

Philadelphia Inquirer
June 25, 1896

Philadelphia Inquirer
July 2, 1905

Joseph Fine
Bessie Hickey
Edward Roosevelt
Edward Oswald
Thomas Croker
Dauphin Street
Division Street
South 6th Street
South 2nd Street
Sycamore Street
Taylor Avenue
Cooper Hospital

The correct address on Dauphin Street is 821

Trenton Times - December 19, 1906

George Dilmore - Harry Gilbert - Edward Carmany - Joseph Hyde 
Charles Sattler - Charles Daubman - Arthur Bedell - James Croker
Roya Arch Association

Philadelphia Inquirer
July 10, 1910

Philadelphia Inquirer - November 30, 1910

Dr. Marcus K. Mines - Dr. Frederick Jones Jr. - Dr. W.P. Wingender - Dr. W.K. Browning
Archer D. Norris - John Wagner  -
Charles G. Garrison - Lewis Hamel - George West
Charles H. Ellis - Clarence Governs - Michael Kirby - William Leonard Hurley - Amelia C. Rouh
Tammany Club - William Black - Redmond Pierson - Charles Redmond - Joseph Ryrie -
James Croker 
Broadway - Ferry Avenue  - Elm Street - Mechanic Street - Clare Street
State Street Methodist Episcopal Church

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 10, 1912

North Wall